Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 06:03:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI Bay Door Locks  (Read 1529 times)
Doug1968

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:44:01 AM »

Fellows,

After considerable thought I have decided to keep the original air cylinder door locking system on my 102a3. I have looked into the individual keyed locks as well as the electronic remote systems.

I have decided to use the factory valve on the dash, brake the line feeding this valve and install a tee in the line with a one way check valve between the feed line coming from the bus air and the tee. I will then install another line coming from a 120v compressor tank and attache this line to the tee, with a check valve.

This would allow me to use either the bus air, if available, or air from the 120v compressor. I would leave the 120v system on when parked to assure that air is available. This compressor will also be used to supply air to my leveling system when I get to that point in the project.

Seems to me that being able to unlock all of the doors with one switch makes sense?

Is anyone already doing this?

Are there any recommendations for a small air compressor that some of you have purchased to carry in the bus?

As always, any recommendations or thoughts are appreciated.

To date I have gutted the inside of the bus, installed side panels, new exterior paint, Peninsula windows, holding tanks and fresh water system, all waste drains are in and interior walls are framed.

Today I am moving the bus out of the shop and will soon begin building cabinets and start the installation of the generator.

It's coming along slooooowwwwly.

All of my friends are attending bus rallies around the country without me?Huh

Doug

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »

Doug,
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing.  However, after much thought I decided to go with the electric locks.  I could still change my mind, but I needed to move or remove the air lines, so it seemed the right thing to do.  I removed the air locks and haven't replaced them yet with either.  However, I've been thinking of keeping a small electrical compressor for the entrance door.  I like the air assist on the entrance door.
Let me know what you decide to do.

By the way, you seem to have the same bus, but your project might be just ahead of mine.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »

Does that system still allow you to unlock the doors manually if the air system fails??

blank

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 07:19:22 AM »

It's coming along slooooowwwwly.

Looks a lot easier on paper dont it.
MEverard

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »

Doug,

What do you call a small electric compressor? I purchased a Rigid 120 volt compressor that will produce 175 PSI. I wanted something that could air up my bus and or a tire in an emergency. However, most compressors don't produce enough PSI, or don't have a large enough tank size to do the job. That is why I went with the Rigid. I have never had a problem with it, and it helps with the conversion process too. It fits nicely in a small forward compartment by my entrance door.

Good Luck,
Mike

Mike Everard
1960 GMC PD4104-4520
Antioch, CA
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »

Being able to select which side of the coach unlocks can be a nice option, if yours is the all-or-nothing style.

Being forced to leave the off side doors insecure to access the near side may not be desirable everywhere you go.

In the air versus electric discussion, as long as the dumb things have air integrity.... if they leak down... and the compressor has to cycle to keep things working... you may think it is neat, but many neighbours want to hear nothing when camping....

The ones I've driven are interlocked with the parking brake... some design issues to get it all working under both full and empty scenarios. A handy set-up, you don't have to remember to lock them when driving off.

Get an oil filled compressor, and get the biggest CFM at 90lbs for your price point. Beware: Horsepower, amperage, size of attached tank and pressure maximums are marketing gimmicks, you want to compare the volumes the pumps are capable of delivering.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Doug1968

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »

Fellows,

Thanks for the comments and the info on the Rigid air compressor.

Tony, this system will still require air to operate the locks. Not likely that more than one cylinder would fail at the same time? Maybe the valve??

Since I posted this message I noticed that my bay door has a small flat spring loaded flap that raises up to a position against the latch to allow placing a lock through the latch and the flap. pretty slick if you wanted to use a small padlock on each door.

I will begin the search for a small compressor and I will let you know how this plan works out when I get it completed.

Doug

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington
blank

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »

Since I posted this message I noticed that my bay door has a small flat spring loaded flap that raises up to a position against the latch to allow placing a lock through the latch and the flap. pretty slick if you wanted to use a small padlock on each door.

Doug

Thats how my MC5 is. What would be nice/what I would like, is something like a pop lock in the handle.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: