Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 12:21:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Propane Back-up generator  (Read 720 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:11:39 AM »

What would be wrong with using one of these?
http://www.norwall.com/products/Generac-Guardian-14kW-Standby-Generator-Pre%252dPackaged-w%7B47%7D100-Amp-14-Circuit-ATS.html

They run quiet, are built in a variety of sizes, and would install easily in a coach bay.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »

I thought about the same thing. I finally decided to go with diesel because of the fuel consumption. At 2.4 gal/hr @ full load, my 65 tank would only last less than 30 hours. Not to mention, I can buy a 5 gallon can of diesel & run mine but getting LP is sometimes a problem.

I am in the process now of removing my old Kohler 12.5 KW & installing a Westerbeke 8KW. The 8KW is smaller, burns less fuel, and is more quiet.

I spent about 6 months fooling with the Kohler. I installed a new generator head, starter, and sound proofed the cabinet & it is still too loud and burns too much fuel for what I want & leaks oil. I got a deal on the Westerbeke so I threw in the towel on the Kohler.

If anyone is interested In the Kohler, PM me.

TOM

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:26:11 PM »

For starters, this an air cooled unit.  You might have a difficult time getting enough air to it.  Also, these things are huge if it is anything like my 8KW backup generator at home.

These generators generally are designed for backup use only.  My backup generator says not for primary power or something like that.  I don't know if that means it has a limited life or what.  I think my generator has about 150 hours, but that is almost all from the weekly exercise run.  Total power outage time is less than 12 hours over 9 years.

As already mentioned, these things really like fuel when powered by propane.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »

3600rpm engine with brush type alternator. Takes a huge propane tank to run it.  Compared to a Diesel with 1800rpm engine and brushless alternator. You're propane generator would probably last around 8000hrs.  Diesel can get up towards 20,000hrs and beyond.  Personally wouldn't use a propane unless it has electronic fuel injection with altitude compensation-otherwise you'll be fiddling with the carb to get it to run right at various altitudes.  I know this from my trucking days with a commercially rated 6.5 Onan Emerald 3 gasoline generator.  Spend the extra money and get a good reliable Diesel generator.  Only thing worse then a generator that doesn't run right is the big engine on the bus not running right.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:54 AM »

I have a 7500kw air-cooled lp generator around 25 years old.  I've not had any trouble during the 2 years I've owned the bus.

It is noisy and does take up a lot of space especially considering the tank.  I don't know if it has any automatic altitude adjustment equipment.  I've not had to adjust it for altitudes up to 8,000 feet.

All in all I've bee happy with lp.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 08:43:40 AM »

Diesel generators units also smoke and lose power above 8000 unless they are turboed 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: