Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 01:27:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI wont start  (Read 8804 times)
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »

Cry  I got a 1989 MCI 102C3. I had not ran it for about a month. Yesterday I started it and it started normal. After it ran for approx. 5 - 10 minutes it shut itself off. When I tried to restart it, it would only crank and not fire. Sounded like it tried a couple of times with no success. I pulled both fuel filters and found them to be 1/4 full or lees with fuel. I filled them with diesel and put them back on. No change. Any Ideas. Im wondering if I might have a bad fuel pump.

Price is what you pay.  Value is what you get
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »

Sounds like your fuel tank is empty.  The empty filters is a sign of this. However, it's possible that you have an air leak in the fuel line which has allowed the
fuel to drain back to the tank and suck air into the line. In this case, the engine would start and run on what was in the filters and pump, but when the air
 got to the pump, it would airlock and die. The pump
is not self priming.

It's probably not the pump, or it would not have started in the first place.

You will need to reprime the fuel system and remove all the air between the tank and the fuel pump. Suggest you search the archives on how to do this. The
electric pump is the best way, though not necessarily the cheapest way.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 04:54:15 PM »

Thank you for that. The fuel tank is approx 1/4 to 1/2 full so I dont think im out of fuel. How do I track down an air leak in the fuel system.

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 05:40:37 PM »

Probably the simplest way is to buy yourself a 12 volt inline fuel pump and plumb in it at the tank.  It will solve your priming problem and keep the engine running while you track down your air leak which will turn into a fuel leak when you put the pump in.  Pressure wash everything until it looks nice and then use the bus for a while - the leak will be the place that gets dirty first.

This comes up regularly so the search function should turn up lots of threads for you - this one came up near the top of my search:
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=18135.0

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 05:57:53 PM »

course in my case is paper in the check valve

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:00:50 PM »

I had to ask this board this very same question. Check to make sure your engine shut off switch in the back is on. If it is off you will be able to start engine until air pressure builds and then the shut off will shut you down. I am not sure this is you buses problem but it sound like my situation.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 06:07:51 PM »

interesting, I did notice that the air pressure was around 60psi when it shut down. Where is the shut off valve and how do u move it manually

Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »

Mine is in the back as you face the engine on the left side.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 06:22:15 PM »

His is probably a DDEC 6v92 or 8v92 his problem is it lost prime the pump is good or the filters would not be low

Life is short drink the good wine first
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 06:26:09 PM »

Thanks, Its a 8V92. Not sure if it has a DDEC but im guessing it does. I will try again tomorrow

viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 06:43:42 PM »

how would it have lost prime. It was running for a good 5 to 10 minutes before it died. After it died I was unable to restart it.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 07:42:47 PM »

You may have a cracked fuel hose allowing air into the system.  That would cause a loss of prime in some cases.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »

Or... you could have a collapsed fuel line, in which case not enough fuel as was in my case.

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
blank

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 07:05:44 AM »

how would it have lost prime. It was running for a good 5 to 10 minutes before it died. After it died I was unable to restart it.

I dont believe there is enough fuel in the filters to run it that long without any fuel flow, but regardless, its lost prime. Could be a loose fitting, even a loose filter, anywhere it can suck air rather than fuel will cause the problem, and running time depends on quantity of air to fuel. IOW, it was pulling air in with the fuel which allowed it to run longer than it would have without any fuel flow.

Is there some work youve done previously, fuel filters? Lines? tank? Anything with the fuel system you have taken apart and put back together? The filters need to tight like an oil filter, 3/4 turn after contact. They do not need to be tightened past that point
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »

Lost prime is going to be the problem.
Reason? Could be many reasons such as the cracked line, hole in a line or whatever. Usually (not always) it's a worn out, or comprimised check valve that allows fuel to back flow when it's not supposed too!
Quote from: chev49
course in my case is paper in the check valve
As chv49 mentioned in his case it was paper in the check valve.

Now one would ask how would paper get in there? Hmm what is inside a fuel filter? Paper! So my guess would be old or defective fuel filter!

AT any rate viking1 if it were me I'd REPLACE the filters with new full filters and either add a primer pump or use an old school solution and supply fuel & pressure to the engine long enough to get it up and running on it's own!

And yes an engine can run on the fuel in the pump and filters about 5 mins before running out if it's lost prime!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: