Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:57:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI wont start  (Read 8530 times)
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 08:33:19 PM »

OK. I had to go to work for a while so I didn't have a chance to play with the bus. Got home a couple of days ago and started tackling the bus wont run issue again. It has no lift pump. It runs just great if I have a 12 volt fuel pump hooked up to the #2 filter. So today I removed the fuel line where it goes to the # 1 filter and hooked the 12 volt fuel pump in line and it pulls fuel from the fuel tank, no problem. I disconnected the pump put the fuel line back on and hooked the pump up to the # 2 fuel filter for prime. Fires right up and runs great. when I unhook the fuel pump it runs the filters half down and dies. I have replaced the fuel pump. I wonder if I might have gotten a bad rebuild or if i needed a right hand pump instead of a left hand pump. The pump that came of didn't have any markings on it, but the guy I bought the new pump from was sure it was a left hand. Any ideas. its a 1989 102c3 8V92. Angry Angry

Price is what you pay.  Value is what you get
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »

It has marking has a tiny arrow under the bottom fitting all fuel pumps running of the blower in the front turn to the left,I still think you have a lift pump in the tank on that model bus but I could be wrong 

good luck
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:44:44 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »

how would I find the lift pump. There is nothing on the rear start panel

thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 09:56:55 PM »

the lift pump, if so equipped, would most likely be in the tank or really close to it.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
viking1
Viking

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2011, 05:51:26 PM »

......Priming a Bus is an artform, I have learned!!!!!!!.........

Finally....... I think I got it.

So to figure out whether it was my pick up tube in the tank or the fuel line, i disconnected the fuel lines on both ends and blew air through it to make sure I had the right one. Then I put the line going to the #1 fuel filter in an empty bucket and hooked up a 12V fuel pump on the other end. It took several minutes for the fuel to make the journey. Once I had fuel coming out I hooked it up to the fuel filter and unhooked my pump and put my line in a bucket. And wouldn't you know it, the bus ran like a champ sucking the fuel from the bucket. I shut the bus of and carefully hooked the line back up to the tank thinking I had just eliminated the fuel line being my problem. I figured it had to be in the pick up in the tank. But guess what? I hooked it all back together and wouldn't you know it. PROBLEM SOLVED. It needed to be primed but I guess priming it in the back as I had been doing just didn't cut it. I had to prime it from the front at the tank.

SO what was my problem, was it the fuel pump? I replaced it. Or was it pilot error. I had forgotten that I took fuel out of my tank to put in my tractor (about 5 gallons) the old fashion way, hose in tank and suck and let gravity flow due the rest. Now I wonder if maybe that was my problem. All along I was doing all this trouble shooting when actually I may have created the problem myself. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes. I will never know I guess, but just in case I don't think I will be siphoning any more diesel out of the bus for the tractor......

I am one happy bus Nut. At least until the next problem comes along.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »

Probably the latter you just never got it primed sometimes they can be a bear  be sure and hang on to your pump they are priceless

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: