Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 12:21:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe an alternator problem  (Read 718 times)
wal1809

Ignore
« on: May 29, 2011, 07:34:26 PM »

I think I might be developing a problem witht he alternator.  I fired the bus up this evening to back it into the barn and while waiting for air pressure I could see the headlights were bright dim bright dim, rapidly.  Like bright to dim and bright in 1 second revolutions. The voltage guage needle was bouncing from a range of 13.5 to 14 volts as fast as the lights were dimming and regaining.   Yall have any idea what might be happening.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:07:42 PM »

Wayne,the charging relay in the rear electrical panel change it your problem will go away and remember that is a 6 volt relay not a 12 volt strange huh

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »

Thank you Clifford.  ?I am guessing the rear E panel is up above the engine compartment behind the plastic-ish panels?  Woder why they used 6 volt instead of 12.  I guarantee you I would have used a 12 because I had no idea.

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Tony LEE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 06:56:03 AM »

It is supplied from a single diode off one of the three phase legs of the alternator - so it is approximately half the voltage of the nominal output of the alternator. My MC8 is 24V so the relay is 12V.

MCI's also have a pressure switch in the system so if that was not closing cleanly, it could result in the alternator cycling on and off. Regulator also causes this problem occasionally in MCIs and the 'cure' is to turn the headlights onto low beam to provide enough load to stop the system hunting
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 07:00:07 AM by Tony LEE » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:42:19 AM »

Now that is what I call  a "mouthful of information".  Thank you Tony Lee.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: