Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 12:51:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An appology is in order...  (Read 5198 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »

Transit is just wording look at all the metro area that have E4500 MCI Salt Lake City calls those transit buses TMC are listed as transits

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »

Ok... what do u call the intercity transit busses that were made with just the front door like a coach,coach type siding and similar seating?  My friend has a fishbowl one of those in his section of busses next door to his wrecking yard. I think this thing has a 671 na with a jake n manual 4 sp tranny...  Grin

GMC made a Suburban model which looked like the transits but had forward facing seats and had bay storage.  They also made transit models with one door and forward facing seats. (I own one)

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 04:47:08 PM »

As Clifford says, the distinction is now blurred.  Many operators have been using coaches in (mostly) suburban service for the last 25 or so years.  Dallas DART had a fleet of Eagles, replaced by MCI's, now further replaced by NABI's in suburban transit configuration.

However, to answer a couple of questions posted earlier, remember that GMC was the basis for everything in the US -- and the nomenclature comes from GM's model numbers.

Over The Road buses are Coaches (properly, Parlor Coaches).  In the model number "PD-4106", you read "Parlor Coach, Diesel, 41 passenger, 6th model in the series".  

Transits would be TDH 4512, or TDM 4512.  "Transit" "Diesel" (or G for Gas), 45 passenger, Hydraulic (auto), or Manual (stick) transmission, 12th model in the series.  Those would be what are now known as "old look" transits.  In 1960, when fishbowls came out, the 35 footer was the TDH 4517 -- read the same way.  Side note - the odd numbers denote 96-inch width, even numbers (TDH-4516) were 102's.    

Both Old Looks, and Fishbowls, had models that weren't transits (city buses), nor coaches -- the "Suburban".  So, one of the buses I used to drive was a SDM-4501 -- a 35 foot fishbowl.  Per the question earlier, it was a single front door (otherwise known as a "muzzle-loader", high floor with depressed center aisle, and baggage bays.  

So, when you hear us talking about Coaches, Transits, and Suburbans, that's what we're thinking of.  Of course, there were other manufacturers -- my driver qualification statement that's hung on the wall for about 35 years includes a FD6V-401 -- we had two of them.  They were Flxible Fishbowls, Suburban models.  I much prefer GM nomenclature, much more logical.  some numbers (4105) were skipped, used for drawing board or engineering models, and some unique model numbers were for special operations --4800 series transits for California weight limits, some specialty New York City buses, etc.

Arthur  

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 06:13:40 PM »

my friend has one of the sdm-4501's in his collection... we never called them suburbans around here.. always called them inter-city busses...and its only 8' wide, instead of the 102 ones like our good ones.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 06:31:41 AM »

Great looking bus!  Congratulations.

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 06:43:56 AM »

Wow! What a great group! Thanks to all for your kind words. I hope to be bringing it home next week. Then we will get started.

Blessings to all.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 07:29:55 AM »

Sweet Looking bus. Way to go. If in ID let us know
Kevin

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 08:24:21 AM »

Steve congratulations! (on the bus and your daughters accomplishments and direction of education)
No in my opinion no apology is needed!

Great looking bus and trust me that "Jump seat" gets very uncomfortable very fast!

One question. Who's the happy guy in the driver's seat? Wink
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
harpold700 3

72 mc7 8-71 stick

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 11:08:53 AM »

Aluminun split rims?   Nice straight coach. Should run like a rocket.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »

Wow Shocked, what a great find. Have fun converting that. All the Best, M&C Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 06:57:49 PM »

Aluminun split rims?   Nice straight coach. Should run like a rocket.

Split rims? Look like standard aluminum budds to me! I do see balance weights on them.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
harpold700 3

72 mc7 8-71 stick

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »

See the lock ring?
saddleup

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2011, 09:02:01 AM »

Looks like lockring to me.
Matt

Box Elder,S.D.  Battle Mountain,NV

1974 Eagle 05 On the road, to Somewhere
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2011, 09:28:37 AM »

Looks like 20 inch lock rings to me some of the Scenic Cruiser folks use those, wonder if it has the off brand wheel stud pattern 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 09:31:52 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »

I stand corrected I sure did miss that lock ring the first second and third times! Opps my bad!
Grin  BK  Grin

If you look directly across the wheel from the split of the lock ring you see what I thought was a wheel weight! (I totally missed the other side of it!)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 11:43:31 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: