Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 22, 2014, 10:50:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roof Raising  (Read 3301 times)
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2011, 01:16:44 PM »

I may still have a R&M tabe on roof raises, I will send for the shipping if I can find it. Only 10.00 from them. Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 01:47:57 PM »

Jeremy, Got pictures? I'd like to see what you've done. Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2011, 02:24:20 PM »

There are 3 types of a roof raises 1 the floor level below the windows, 2 the above the side windows and 3rd the roof line raise at the roof brows you need to decide on which meets your needs and let us know and we may have photos just hard to help not knowing what you are after

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Bob Belter

Eagle 01 //Cummins M-11 Roadranger OD RTO1110

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »

Ahoy, BusFolk,

Not mentioned is the height of a roof-raised bus on a trailer and any attendant shipping costs if you have troubles.  My -01 Eagle has a listed height of 11' 3".  It came to me here in Carmel CA on a Landoll trailer as a standard load ~~20 years ago from Long Beach CA for $700.00.  A friend, (now expired) raised the roof on his GM 4501 Scenic Cruiser, and first time out, blew his engine over by Mohave CA.  With high load permits/costs, his haul back to Salinas, about 1/3 the distance, was $2200.00.  Scared the roof-raise right out of me.  I did drop the floor 3 1/2" in front, back to the drive axle framing.  Made quite a difference, (I'm 6' 2") and was quite easy to do.  Bedroom and bathroom, little is done back there standing up anyway.

Any other comments on hauling?  I never have been (bus) hauled, but I offer this tidbit for your consideration.  If you blow your engine/tranny big-time, the extra tow costs attendent to a roof raise are probably down in the noise level.   

Enjoy   /s/   Bob
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 04:06:01 PM »

Jeremy, Got pictures? I'd like to see what you've done. Kenny

In fact you asked that exact same question in the previous thread where this was discussed - it's here, with the photos:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=19740.msg214969#msg214969

I did some more work on my scratch-built front cap a few weeks ago, and that is now at a stage where I can post some photos if anyone is interested

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Kenny

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 05:57:42 AM »

Jeremy, Got more pictures of both the inside and outside. Really interested in the look from the outside. Kenny

1941 and 1945 Flxible - South Lyon, Michigan
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 11:35:26 AM »

Ok, here are some photos of the work on the front cap (and showing the roof-raise in general)

The first stage in scratch-building the front cap was to make a former from some scrap wood. This will all be discarded later. The former was in two parts as can be seen here:

Here is the former in place on top of the original (low) front roof. As can be seen I have designed the new front cap to cover the small upper-windscreen. Also in this picture you can see that 1/2" foam sheet has been laid over the 'flatish bits' of the wooden former:

Now the start of the process of creating the rest of the shape using blocks of foam that are carved and sanded into shape. The wooden former underneath guides the overall shape and keeps it symmetrical:

There's now at least a year's gap when nothing at all happened. Just a few weeks ago I spent another weekend on it and finished off the foam shaping, and got the first layer of 'glass on it. There's obviously more work to do, but you get the idea. Eventually the cap will be taken off the bus and cleaned up and 'glassed on the inside, at which point the wooden former will be discarded. Then the cap can be fastened back on permanently exactly as though it was a store-bought item costing hundreds of dollars

(By the way - in the photos below the roof raise starts at a point directly above the rear edge of the doorway. In front of that point is 'cap', whilst behind it you are seeing the fibreglass panels that cover the gap created when the roof was raised. The cap and these panels will eventually be fibreglassed into one continuous structure with no joints):

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2011, 11:40:47 AM »

speaking of fiberblass panels... i have bought lots of strips, cut-out's etc, from the guys who make the fiberglass boat cabins for fishing boats, etc in Portland, Ore... scrap for them, and very strong and cheap...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: