Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 15, 2017, 04:29:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear bedroom and engine/tranny access hatches  (Read 2228 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:49:09 AM »

Dear Friends:

I need some ideas for the rear bedroom to maintain access to the engine and tranny hatches. Are you making your beds removable? I need some ideas and pictures.

Thanks in advance!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:00:43 AM »

Depending on how large the access hatches are, I think most of us make the bed on hinges to be able to raise the bed for access.  I have a V drive, so my access hatch is in the very rear (mainly for starter access).  You could use a foam or air mattress so that it could easily be moved (I have an inner sprung mattress that is just about built in place) and have the frame able to be un bolted to get out of the way.  Each bus is very different.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 07:04:39 AM »

I decided to do away with the queen bed, and use two twin beds.  That gives excellent access to the hatch area on my bus.  The previous deal was hinges with gas struts, and in theory it might have worked, for a guy a lot littler and skinnier and younger than me...  In reality I would have had to completely disassemble and remove the bed to do anything useful.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
blank

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:13:50 PM »

Im facing the same issue, planning queen size with something simular to a waterbed frame that will hinge to the side.

Didnt think of bolting it down but thats a good idea. Not likely to need to get in there that often. Hopefully.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:44:17 AM »

In comparison to other not easily accessable components on the bus accessing the engine hatch for removal of the base of the bed is easily accomplished.

If your belly aching about pulling the bed for the access cover you are going to be pulling your hair out doing many other things that require way more fuss.

Build it in bolt it down good

Get used to it Wink

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »

In my 2nd bus, I took two waterbed frames with the pull out drawers n justput a queen mattress on it.. the drawers wouldn't pull out very far - so it became long term storage, and it only took about 10 min at the most to remove the mattress, etc to work on the engine... My last bus i put in twins, but i am thinking abt going back to this queen arraingement as i bought some more waterbed stuff at a garage sale.. I always look for the heaters cause they are so great for tanks.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »

I made the platform for mattress to hinge at the access. Just prop the lid and there it is.  Marc
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:43 PM »

I made a hinge bed for a customer about 12 yrs ago.  I hinged it on the back, but he wanted it in sideways, and there was lots of room to work, but i suspect it was a bit hard to make the bed...however that was his deal...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 04:57:24 AM »

I put up with a sideways queen with the head to the street side and a heavy inner spring mattress for 15 years. I always wanted a King. Access under the bed was no problem. To get to the engine was! I had to completely remove the bedroom, including the lead floor.

In the remodel, I put in a King Select Comfort air bed with the head to the rear. It is hinged, with the lead cut to fit inside the frame and a small removeable section on the street side at the head for access to the fan motor. This arrangement also allowed a 42" plasma TV in the bedroom.

Getting to the engine is a snap now. I would rather have a beating with barbed wire than remove the old setup. Had to do it probably 8 or 10 times in 15 years.

I lost the ability to open the window at the head of the bed, but will get used to it.

A bit unhandy to get into but not so bad. My wife is small, so making the bed is pretty easy for her.

All things to consider.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 05:17:24 AM »

Thanks to all of you for your kind replies. Now, how about some pictures of the beds and hinges?

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Van

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 07:45:13 AM »

I feel maybe I should add here too, being as we just finished ours. First off I am 6'4" and can climb into or under pretty much all of the ares needed. I read it some where, but it became apparent that every thing above the bed is wasted space. We built our bed pedestal high off the floor, thus removing 2 panels i am able to reach the access panel with ease. this also allows us to have plenty of stowage for the things we don't use often, which freez up the clutter in the bays. We have the floor as well as the inside of the pedestal base insulated well so even the engine noises are squelched . When it is cool enough to turn on some heat, you are toasty enough right away, being high up, and cool enough when the AC is humming in hot weather being as you are up high enough to feel the full effect. Oh! we are still able to sit up in bed and not bang your head Grin . So far it has been rather comfortable, and no need to dismantle the bed room to do routine insp/services.

Good luck Wink

1989 Model 15 Predator class War Bird
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 07:54:57 AM »

When planning also make the bed where you can get to 3 sides for making the bed up those are a bitch to move after you finished the interior been there done that keep the help happy makes live easier lol 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: