Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 09:06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about using a "wireless" backup camera  (Read 4900 times)
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2011, 03:37:08 AM »

Over the years I have read tons of posts about a hundred different back up cameras, and at the end of their tale is always "and I ran the wires cables thru the bays or thru the ceiling. Running wires through anything is almost an impossibility on our bus.

Our Silversides interior is already finished and foolishly I did not leave a raceway for wiring from the engine compartment, so my question is, "Is there a worth while and reliable wireless system one can incorporate in a bus?" Our bus is 37 feet long from the back wall to the front wall, so the signal would have to travel that far. I have 12 volt power in the rear and 12 volt power in front.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
wal1809

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:21:56 AM »

I don't know the answer to your question but I can tell you this.  Search high and low for a wireless even if you have to pay out the nose for it.  I just got done with installing my new one and it was a B%^&h. 

1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 05:51:35 AM »

Dave, can you run a wire under the bus?

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 06:00:02 AM »

Dave we had  wired for years ok , but black and white only, now have the wireless from Sam's club about 69.00  or close to that, it is also color,   really should at least look at it , works great. have it where my wife can see it also. she watches as I change lanes in case I miss anything, color will also show FLAMES black and white shows smoke only, it has sound but good luck hearing that over a Detroit,  the exterior camera comes mounted on a license p[late bracket, just cut the bracket, leave enough for 2 screws and its real small, Good luck  Bill

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Lakeland florida..........Host of the ARCADIA RALLY
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 06:07:09 AM »

Dave check www.rearviewsafety they can probably help big improvements in the wireless cameras in the last couple of years fwiw I seen the cameras from Sams not bad for the price

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:52:32 AM »

Dave, a Buddy of mine bought me a wireless for driving to an event. It's a "lesser expensive" one, but works great! The trick is to get the sending end of the camera in view with the receiver. If they can see each other, or at least close to it, I think they work fine.
That's just how I did it because I had one and "no problemo".  Smiley 
Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:08:43 AM »

I see even the R/C enthusiasts even have wireless cameras with sound now for under a C-note, Hi Def even Shocked http://www.xheli.com/hemiwivica.html  and check this out, pretty cool! Talk about keeping an eye on your bus Shocked  
Impressive FPV RC Helicopter Flight Heli Onboard Camera Wind Turbine Almost Crash Accident Bike Car
  I think that with this set up, you should have no trouble transmitting to the front monitor, Hmmm!  Wink
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:11:00 AM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 07:12:46 AM »

just be sure to have the transmitter on a switch as when you are camping it will knock out all of your wi-fi signal.

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
blank

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 08:10:01 AM »

I have one of the old B&W voyagers in the Bounder. The old school CRT hard wired kind. Reading many posts and threads here and eleswhere, it seems like everything else in life, manufactures have been busy, either making things so complex you need a 100 page manual in your lap everytime you turn it on to remember which sequence of buttons to work, or they make stuff so cheap its often broken before you remove it from the box.

Im going to need a camera, and it seems the prices are all over, from dirt cheap to OMG expensive. I dont have a problem spending a few bucks, though in this day anything over $2-300 is simply rediculous. $69 at Sams club is fine, if it works well, but if its junk maybe im better off with an old school B&W hardwired voyager. Its not pretty, but the darn things are bullet proof and useable. IOW, im more concerned with function over fashion. I also wonder if B&W isnt better at night.

As far as running a wire through a Bus thats already converted, there are many different ways to get it through to where you want it. Including fishing it through the raceway under the floor, or alongside it. You can also slip it inside a section of nylon hose to better protect it if need be.
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 11:06:26 AM »

Better view at night don't seem to be,. besides with black and white you will see blinking lights, with color you will actually see the red and blue lights behind you, and the Sam's camera is great but we do have it in line with the sending unit, if my wife walks Thur the coach breaking up the wave the picture jumps slightly. that's how I know she is sneaking up on me,...

Bill & Brenda Phelan
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »

the exterior camera comes mounted on a license p[late bracket, just cut the bracket, leave enough for 2 screws and its real small, Good luck  Bill
Did you mount the camera down low at license plate height, or is it at the usual RV height (maybe 6 ft or more off the ground)?   I have the luxury of a rear window, so I'm thinking of mounting a camera inside the bus, pointing out through the window, as long as reflections aren't a problem.   Also, what powers the camera itself  -  do you need to run a 12V supply to it, and if so from where?

Thanks, John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 02:01:21 PM »

Dave,

I've had one in my 4104 for about four years. At the time I bought it is was the cheapest color one available and is designed to attach to the license plate frame to be activated by the backup light switch.

I connected it to a panel switch and mounted it on the shelf at the rear window. I doubt that it will work from the plate frame, but I don't know that. The monitor plugs into a cigar lighter outlet.

My only complaint is the screen is very small, hard to see in bright sunlight. Also, it is too small to be of any use underway.

It is worth its weight in gold, anything is better than nothing.

The one on my 4107 is hard wired with a huge monitor, it is totally a different world and very useful underway.

Whatever you decide to buy be sure to adjust it so the bottom of the screen is about 3-4' from the bumper.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Bill 340

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 06:10:12 PM »

I mounted it at the top of the rear cap, just under the center marker light and ran the wire under the light Thur the light hole. Way up great view,

Bill & Brenda Phelan
blank

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 09:35:16 PM »

The B&W Voyager on the Bounder is mounted at the top of the roof, with the bottom of the image centered over the trailer ball. I can back up to a trailer and be dead on using that thing. But its wide angle enough I can see the entire Jeep, as well as cars to each side, which helps clearing. If the Sams unit can work as well I would be happy enough.
Dave Siegel

Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 03:49:03 AM »

Dave,

I've had one in my 4104 for about four years. At the time I bought it is was the cheapest color one available and is designed to attach to the license plate frame to be activated by the backup light switch.

I connected it to a panel switch and mounted it on the shelf at the rear window. I doubt that it will work from the plate frame, but I don't know that. The monitor plugs into a cigar lighter outlet.

My only complaint is the screen is very small, hard to see in bright sunlight. Also, it is too small to be of any use underway.

It is worth its weight in gold, anything is better than nothing.

The one on my 4107 is hard wired with a huge monitor, it is totally a different world and very useful underway.

Whatever you decide to buy be sure to adjust it so the bottom of the screen is about 3-4' from the bumper.

Thanks Gus, I am looking at one on Amazon and it says the range is 20 meters (60 feet?) In the past I have found that range predictions have been highly optimistic and that was my concern. Is your vision good for the entire length of your bus? (Distance from camera to monitor.)

Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
               Naples, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: