Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 02:33:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ECM Question  (Read 3289 times)
norules

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »

Hmmmm - Just thinking out load here

But

Could you simply just put a 12volt Nicad rechargable battery close to the "IGNITION POWER LINE" of the ECM -
After you reset the error the first time  - This would Keep the ECM alive and prevent future "power on dianostic errors"

The ignitioned powered circuits of the ECM draws fairly litle cuurent.
The heavy current draw is via the twin "battery connects terminals" - that supply the power to the INJECTORS.

You may require diode just before the battery to prevent Backfeeding voltage to any other item on the same circuit.

My guess is (qty 2) 6amp diodes in parallel for a total of 12 amps would work find
( http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062591)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »

I been told many times by sharp DDEC guys the EGR ECM is the only one you can flash with out giving problems down the line in the way of performance and is not a given on EGR models I have a copy of the bulletin on flashing.
Not much of anything you can do for a DDEC I now the dealers don't even have the software any longer but still do up grades to the IV on II and the III at a price lol

good luck
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:54:05 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »

You can get it done Clifford. It depebds on WHO you know, not WHAT you know and it is far less than 3500.00

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »

Ace the 3500 was for a new ECM for a 515 hp 14L EGR engine I can get a rebuilt ECM for the non EGR engines for 800 bucks all day long programed ready to go fwiw when I bought that one there was not any on the market or the software and DD knew it

good luck

Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »

Zero Clarence so a trip to DD will kill the program so the code is forever gone. 500 bucks not good but not too bad.

Where do you get this "battery holder and 3 volt battery"

Your the third person who mentioned this possibility

I would not even begin to know where to find those components.

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 07:54:38 PM »

JohnEd I was rereading your comments sometimes it takes a while.

If they always get in the habbit of checking the codes at the end of every day that would very cost effective way of keeping what would otherwise be lost great idea I like it. thank you.

Question is if they do that will it stop the code from poping up at the next start up too?

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 08:28:21 PM »

And those of us who don't have electronic coaches are quietly sitting on the sidelines reading this and smiling. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 08:58:15 PM »

We aren't going to change back to mechanical fuel injection.   Cats and particulate filters are in place to create better air quality.   
Ed, have you ever riden in a 800HP fuel injected car that will still pass your state emissions and do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds??   Electronics is the answer.   And just like everything, you have to replace failed sensors.    I enjoy my Series 60 over my '90 2 cycle Detroit.   More power and more torque.   If we could only get the 2 stroke idle...  I have had only two issues that have failed on my DDEC Series 60,  none have left me stranded, and never have I NOT been able to start the engine.   

I drove the bus into the Pacific Detroit and they fixed it under warranty within 2 hours.   

Joe, I haven't had "any" issues with the new "tune"  I suppose if I start to have some issues I'd purchase a donor ECU as backup.
Joe Camper

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 05:10:09 AM »

O/K armed with all this info I called DD Gran Rapids.

Flashing 80 bucks and assured the code will eventually come back prob sooner than later.

Re programing only with help from the factory and there is a possibility the ultra low backup bat voltage will jack with the reprogram resulting in crash and the necessity of a new ECM   500 if successful

New ECM 1600 to 1800

His suggestion live with it. I am going to trust zeroclearence and his experience and risk the 80 bucks on the flash.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 05:21:09 AM »

Speaking with Cole last night he said the same as your guy in Grand Rapids,he said don't have it reprogrammed it's like rolling dice,since Cole and Pete left the board and Sammy passed away not anyone here really knows how complicated the DDEC system is Jim has lost all his hair trying to figure it out lol I know enough to be dangerous but I am planning on going to a 60 hr class when Cole finds me a place close when he doing a class.
I really just want the manuals,pictures,software and literature that comes with class for free LOL  

good luck
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:35:28 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 06:50:33 AM »

Clifford,
Please call me when you have time! I'm interested in that class and the freebies as well! 270-seven zero five-1139
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »

JohnEd I was rereading your comments sometimes it takes a while.

If they always get in the habbit of checking the codes at the end of every day that would very cost effective way of keeping what would otherwise be lost great idea I like it. thank you.

Question is if they do that will it stop the code from poping up at the next start up too?

Joe,

My comments were based on intuition and a thin knowledge of auto ECM's.  Your Grand Rapids DD rep's advice seems to confirm my non-expert conclusion.  "Live with it" and that's for free and you don't mess with that computer.  The conservative approach. for me.  I have experienced that "I have no idea why it did that and we can't get it back" answer all to often at the Computer Dr. store and I paid dearly to hear that...again.  I drew that conclusion and then I read about the Prevost tech saying the same thing....sorta.  He said "it won't hurt anything" as I recall.  Anything that hurts is bad and vs versa.  As I see it, "living" with it entails only ignoring a code about a battery and I can ignore a lot and getting progressively more hard of hearing I can ignore more and more.  It is one of the very few things I am getting better at.

The guy that designed this thing KNEW that that bat was going to eventually expire.  For that event to cripple the engine or impact the operation of the ECM would have been really stupid as a design feature.  Apparently he was that smart.  The question is with the "change in operating procedure".  If the ECM shows the last code thrown then a glance for the expected "bat" code would suffice.  If the computer shows the "first" code thrown, then at shut down, you would need to look for any other codes  as you would lose that data at shutdown. n You could verify that by firing it up, get the bat code, and then disconnect the temps sender and cause a auto shut down and see what the code display says....."battery" would mean you need to check at shutdown....otherwise.

Don't concern yourself with me getting a big head....I know I am stupid still.  Had fun though.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 09:53:09 AM »

John, the backup battery on a DDEC has to work in the trucking industry if your truck is in a accident the first place law enforcement goes is to the stored data and it better be there kinda like the black box on a airplane they plug in and print all the data out could be a wise choice for bus owners also to keep it working.
I watched a Az tropper pull data info from tour operator here last week in stop and they towed the bus nowhere to hide with a electronic engine they can check your log book against the data in that little box lol and it doesn't lie it has all the history in there  

good luck
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:01:48 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »

Clifford, can you ask Cole if he is interested in rebuilding ($$$) my assy drive for my 50DN conversion?  Sorry Joe for the thread drift..
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 11:19:20 AM »

The only way I can imagine any law agency hooking up to an ecm would be if there was a very major accident involvind said vehicle. Hard to see they would just do random checks using the ecm against log books.
I can just see it now...
Trucker pulls into chicken coop and is told to pull over to the side."we want to compaee your lig book to your ecm"

If that would be the case then there would be more d.o.t. men that know more thsn the average diesel mechanic. As it is, most coops you can fly right on by.
Again, the ecm would probably only be used in a legal battle similar to  black box in a plane and they only read them IF they can find them after a crash!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: