Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 05:09:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Carolina and Tenn. Fall Trip  (Read 1621 times)
eagle10

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2006, 05:53:26 PM »

We plan on a two week trip to the area of Pigeon Forge and Ashville in mid October. What are some interesting things to do and see in  the area? We will be coming down I-81 from Maine. Thanks for any ideas.
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 06:31:53 PM »

Biltmore Estates in Asheville, NC.  Dollywood in Pigeon Forge are the only ones to come to mind at the moment, but I'll probably tink of a bunch more after I go to bed.
JerryH

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 07:18:47 PM »

We plan on a two week trip to the area of Pigeon Forge and Ashville in mid October. What are some interesting things to do and see in  the area? We will be coming down I-81 from Maine. Thanks for any ideas.

We also did Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC -- enjoyed it thoroughly.  We also took our MC-8, I would follow the signs to bus parking rather than RV parking.  If I remember, it was a better fit.

We did Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and surrounding areas.  We are actually disussing return this November to Gatlinburg -- kids had a great time as did we the adults.  We ended parking in a local parking lot (right on the main drag in Gatlinburg) believe it or not on Wed. night, the night before Thanksgiving.  We walked from the bus to everything in minutes.  Beautiful weather!  Did not even think about driving up around the mtns.

The I-40 drive west up was up and up and up.  We weren't going for any land speed records for sure.  We (ok, "I") wanted to go further to Nashville as I've never been there, but we decided to head back East to Hickory to visit friends and freeload on Thanksgiving day. Smiley

Anyway, goodluck and enjoy your trip.
Jerry H.
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 07:23:17 PM »

And don't forget about the rally in Union City TN last weekend in October.

Ross
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:41:59 PM »

Also Cherokee, Blowing Rock, Boone, and Grandfather Mtn.  The peak leaf season will be in for the lower elevations so make reservations when you decide where you plan to visit.  Also watch the weather.  You'll get snow in the higher elevations beginning in October.   It won't last, but it'll screw up your day.  Huh Shocked 
If you are bringing a bus, be sure that the campground can handle 40' of bus.   You'll find plenty accomodations near Dollywood, Asheville, Cherokee, and Blowing Rock....you'll have to check on the other more out of the way places.  Bring your toad.  Most of the NC mountains are pretty compact.  You could park in Asheville and do day trips and see more than you can digest!
If you find yourself near Chimney Rock on Oct 21st, the Burford Brothers Band (www.burfordbrothers.net) will have our annual Halloweenie Warmup at the Mountain Chalet Village.  We eat, play a little music, and maybe do some suds.  In moderation of course.
Feel free to stop by...no formal thing.  We rent a couple suites and jam in.  Usually some good food around.  
it's byob.    This offer extends to any Busnut that is short on entertainment for an afternoon and evening.  We generally have the whole band there and throw down.  We can throw some s&&%$ down too! Grin
Family fun, there will be children attending.   People come from as far away as Texas for this thing.  Lots from around Aiken. 
Maybe get Anita and John, who some of ya'll will meet at Timmonsville, up for the 21st.   They often join us.  
Makes a serious hoot!  Dallas, NCBob, and Christopher ya'll are more than welcome to drop by.   You may enjoy yourself.   Unfortunately there is no place to park the bus....unless the hotel has not opened.  If so, the lot may be available. and it would handle a coach.  or several coachs.    
See ua'll soon!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 07:46:19 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 07:27:50 AM »

When going into the Cherokee area, do not, under any circumstances, try the beautiful drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was built in the 30's and the clearances are very low on some of the underpasses. There are little or no warnings about low clearances and I had to drive down the yellow center line a couple of times before i got to an exit. There are no turnarounds.

It is a beautiful drive in the toad, but absolutely not in a bus.

There is also a back route into that area from I-40. Route 39 as I recall. It is again a highway to avoid unless you have nerves of steel and very good brakes.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 08:17:52 AM »

The trip on the blue ridge parkway and the skyline drive depends on your bus. I have had my 04 from one end to the other.  Undoubley the most peaseful drive ever. great campgrounds "cheap" for us old people. The tunnels are not long enough to keep you from riding down the middle.

coming from chattanoga try the Smokey Mountain express way. great drive and quicker than 40. from up north come down i81 then at Bristol VR. tn. go to 321 and then down to Pigeon forge. another nice drive through the country.

If around the Blowing rock  Boone area  give us a shout always like to meet fellow bus nuts.

uncle ned
"huggy Bear"

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 12:03:46 PM »

As I recall there was little or no warning about low clearances and the first tunnel I came to was 10 foot  on each side and 12 in the center. It was a relatively long tunnel that you could not see the other end and try and determine if there was oncoming traffic so riding down the middle flashing the headlights and blowing the horn the whole way was a very frightening experience. If I had met someone, one of us would have had to back up and that would not have been a pleasure trip either. My bus height was measured at 12 foot, so you can imagine how apprehensive I was.
There may be some maps somewhere that detail the clearances but I do not know where they are.
Richard

The trip on the blue ridge parkway and the skyline drive depends on your bus. I have had my 04 from one end to the other.  Undoubley the most peaseful drive ever. great campgrounds "cheap" for us old people. The tunnels are not long enough to keep you from riding down the middle.

coming from chattanoga try the Smokey Mountain express way. great drive and quicker than 40. from up north come down i81 then at Bristol VR. tn. go to 321 and then down to Pigeon forge. another nice drive through the country.

If around the Blowing rock  Boone area  give us a shout always like to meet fellow bus nuts.

uncle ned
"huggy Bear"

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: