Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 11:12:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: who's a good paint shop in So Cal?  (Read 1526 times)
boogiethecat

Ignore
« on: June 16, 2011, 07:42:57 PM »

I'm thinkin, maybe it's time to finally paint the old 1962 Crown~ anyone good near San Diego?  I'd like to consider having it blasted (CO2, walnuts, soda?) and a high quality
paint applied  (catalyzed acrylic?) that'll be there long after I'm gone.  I don't mind paying a reasonable price for it if it's a good job.
 How do you/they deal with all the hinges, lights, air conditioners, vents, backup camera, awning, drip rails, etc? Does the paint shop take all that stuff off and replace it as part of the deal?
(I normally would but don't have the time these days...)
There's some rust and some roof rot here and there, but for the most part it's in good shape.  
Oddly it's one of the rare Crowns that was specially ordered to be made entirely of steel. Plain steel at that, not galvanized... There's not a drop of aluminum on it!!

Ideas?
Cheers
Boogiethecat
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:45:59 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »

paint just depends on how much you want to pay.If you want the whole thing disassembled, like i have done for a street rod, its gonna cost a whole bunch....I think you need to figure out how much you want to pay and go from there. It also helps to remove some of the stuff dont want painted by yourself unless you want to pay 110/hr for some mininum wage person to do it.  So if i were gonna pay for a paint job, i would set my financial and refinish parameters.. Grin

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »

I used the Paint Depot in Ontario, Ca.  With some body work, rivet replacement and a three color custom paint job, it was $11,000.00, back in 2,000.  It still looks like new now.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 06:59:38 AM »

How about shopping south of the border?

Seems you could go down and scope out some shops doing good work and talk to them and strike a deal then take them the bus and pay when you pick it up!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 08:45:07 AM »

id want to make sure the mexican paint jobs had the prep work done right, and quality paint was used.

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »

Some aircraft paint shops are slow right now, they'll more than likely have a paint booth big enough for a bus. Just saying Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »

Like Tom, I have used Vic at The Paint Department a couple times.  They have a complete graphics design department and can do any level of repair.  Keep in mind that this is a high production shop, be involved in the process and watch them.  They did good by me.  If there is any way you could get it to Mike Wilson in Eugene, that's the first recommendation, and no sales tax up here.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 01:04:07 PM »

The Paint Department painted my bus, trailer, and jeep in 03. They looks as good today as the day I got them out of the shop.

Wayne
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »

Whitney a friend of mine had his Eagle painted at San Diego RV Center he liked the price and service they gave,his last Eagle was painted by the Paint Dept it looked good his only complaint was the delays took them 2 months and I have heard that from others,for me it is Mike Wilson none better in the paint business 

good luck  
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 01:41:57 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »

There is also some good upholstery people in eugene not doing too much right now..

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »

I have had friends use a shop in Tacate.  The shop looked like it could accept a bus.  The price was very low and he was satisfied with the job.  He was going to supply the paint but they could get the paint he wanted for half the price.  My impression was that the price varied with what you needed/wanted done...rust, repairs, extra prep, etc.  As I recall I mentioned that I didn't see a paint booth.  Years later I talked with guys that painted cars for years in a factory like cavernous building without any air filtration and all they did was do the painting in the early morning and wet the floor down with a hose.  I did that with my Winnie and the resultant quality was amazing and I painted it on a dirt road in front of a barn at first light.

Were it me and I had your property...... I would hire a body and fender man to do the repairs and mask.  There are guys that only "shoot" paint jobs.  Hire one of those to apply the paint and all so very important additives that cost a fortune that you want to actually see go into the paint pot and you can't see that happen at a shop.  The actual application of the paint to a masked bus would take 30 min per side with a helper moving the hose with you and a scaffold to walk on. your helper pulls the masking a couple hours after the paint app.  Got an hour Boggiemeister?  And stories to tell.

My very best wishes to you on this project and I know it will work out well,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 10:29:09 PM »

Be sure your hoses, etc are cleaned as well....and if on dirt or grass surface.... hang them on something so they won't drag junk around...

JLL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »

The paint Department in Ontario painted my 4106 in  1993.  It stll looks like new.  We were undiced about a disign,  they worked with us untill we got what liked.
JLL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: