Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 01:08:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: battery voltage  (Read 1258 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2006, 01:40:11 PM »

I'm trying to help my dad with his inverter & batterys.
He has:
a TRACE 2012 inverter
4 interstate 12V marine deep cycle/ start batterys of unknown age & history (they discharge quickly & one gets lots hotter than the others)

I told him to get 4 trojan T-105 batterys to replace the old ones.

What should the float charge voltage be at the battery while it is charging? It was 13.3v (craftsman digital multimeter) today at lunch, temperature was ~70F. I'm thinking the Trace manual said it should float charge at 13.5v. Does this need to be adjusted? How does one go about getting that done?

We'll be in Timmonsville next weekend  Grin
I wish we were taking mine  Cry

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 04:32:20 AM »

13.4v would probably be what's typical. 13.5 probably won't hurt. If you want to adjust it, you need to access the menu for battery charging and adjust the float voltage down.

I think you are talking about an SW model. I could walk you through it on the phone this evening while I'm looking at my SW model, but having not had my coffee yet, my mind is a bit fuzzy. I think the battery charging is in the upper range of the menu, which you access by pressing the red and green buttons at the same time, and then moving up one or two menus to battery charging. Then move down into that menu.

The manuals are online at Xantrex.com. Might be best for you to download them for yourself and your Dad.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 05:08:11 AM »

Thanks Craig,
It is a Legend series that came in his motor home. He has the manual, but I didn't have it in front of me when I posted the question, sorry about that. He has the remote panel that does not allow programming of the unit. I guess I'll have to get the programmable remote unit........ I'll be spending some time on the trace web site today.

We installed the T-105s last night. Man, I'm so glad I'm converting a bus! The way the factory does some things...... I hope I have the dicipline to write it down when I wire up mine. Dad has the complete set of manuals for his , but a lot is not in them! & there isn't much of an index either, so finding what is there is hit-or-mis....

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 08:18:43 AM »

Does anyone have a RC7 remote control for a Trace Legend II inverter? It appears this inverters factory default settings are for gell cell batteries & can only be changed with the RC7 remote. (This unit has the RC6 remote which is mostly a status indicator.)

Thanks for any ideas & help!

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:15:36 PM »

2.25 volts per cell (VPC) is what is typically recommended by most battery manufacturers.

In your case this would be 13.5 volts. You are actually at 2.22 VPC or three hundredths of a volt below recommendation.

Without a digital meter I doubt you would be able to detect this difference. Personally I would leave it at that. Better a little low than a little high.
Richard

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:47:43 AM »

Trojan seems to indicate a bulk (or daily charge) of 14.8, a float of 13.2, and an equalize of 15.5.

http://www.trojan-battery.com/Tech-Support/BatteryMaintenance/Charging.aspx

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 09:40:07 AM »

Thanks Craig & Richard

The old batterys were supposedly original (6 years old) but I'll check the date codes to be sure.

The Trace Legend II series inverter is default set for gell cell batteries & you need a RC7 remote to change it to flooded cell. I suspected the float charge was a tad high due to the tops of all the batteries being wet & the plastic trays under them had more than a little battery juice in them.

The RC7 remote is $300+ if you can find one (I've been told it is out of production  Cry )

Water mizer caps will cost ~75 & can be left on for all charge/ discharge cycles.

Hydrocaps are more $$ & you must remove them for the equalization charge cycle to prevent damage to them.

I'd like to get the remote, but I ain't no rock star so I can't get my 'money for nothing & chicks for free'

I did see some nice looking refurbished Trace inverters while I was looking for the remote. they were 1/2 to 1/3 the price of new (3000W pure sine for less than $700). Are there problems with the refurbished units? Just curious for future needs.

It looks like inverters are like computers, the new ones are more efficient & cost less than the last model.

Thanks again,
kyle4501

H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 09:47:53 AM »

Any time I see  a lot of a particular product that is refurbished, I tend to get shy about buying one.  I wonder where they got the big supply of units that needed refurbishing, and I don't want to buy one and have it need refurbishing too.  There may be other explainations, but I don't like the odds,

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 09:53:24 AM »

Are you sure those are pure sine wave inverters?  That's a very good price if they are.

I bought a refurbished SW4024 for a friend. As far as I know, he has not had a problem with it, though truthfully, I'm not sure he ever got it installed. I checked it out when it arrived, though, and it performed perfectly.

Brian Elfert has a refurbished unit (possibly Prosine) that he bought. He said he heard they had a bad batch of relays in them and recalled a whole bunch, and some of them might have been pulled from the stores before they were ever installed, but they still called them refurbished after replacing the bad parts. Maybe these are the same. If you can get the serial number off the unit you are interested in, you should be able to call Trace and talk to their tech and they can look up that particular unit and tell you why it was refurbed.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: