Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:42:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home again 90 days out  (Read 779 times)
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:33:46 AM »

Hello:     Well  finally back in Florida after 90 days  7400 miles and a few problems . The bus ran well had a few problems and road fixes
    had to change a tag tire but it was almost bald. I kept the better tire in the spare locker in case I had other problems. But in Stillwater park had to change it. Tom Mason assisted on the big torque wrench and we were good to go.
      Been losing water and in Kansas finally found the leak. hose clamp in the front bay heat exchanger was dripping. I had the bay filled with tools and parts; and did not notice it immediatley.  Finally tightened it and no problems since. I check the tell tale in the overflow tank every Am before starting the bus; along with the oil level and each tire pressure.
         THe lesson learned for me was to not only do an underneath inspection in the rear but to check the middle and front of the bus for leaks and other changes  shame on me for not getting it right..
    Warrenton mo the bus quit coming off the interstate.  It started right up but oil pressure looked low. around 10 or so  . Filled the bus at the rv island and wanted to go to the parking area.  THe oil was dripping and when we parked checked the rear. Oil everywhere . THe right side of the engine was covered.  Reached up to the alternator oil line on top and it broke off .. It was the problem.   I finally found the right fittings to make a repair and then cleaned up the mess. Lost 4.5 gals of oil . We had 5 gals aboard so filled her up and went on down the road.  Has to go around St Louis because I 70 east had a hole in 2 lanes. 
    We had a personal call and had to get to Atlanta so off we went the next am..
   Arrived home driving from Atlanta. 
        Like I said the bus ran fine. Averaged 7.5 mpg for the trip.  THanks to Gene Russel and crew for his excellent work on the rebuild.
    This trip was the practice run for next years alaska trip   ... 
     One more problem  the mail..  you can only hold mail for 30 days then they send it all back.  BIg issue  will discuss it in another post..
        Regards and happy bussin   mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:40 AM »

CONGRADULATIONS  on a successful adventure  I do envy you and Diane

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:37:06 AM »

Sounds awesome to bad we couldn't have gotten together on your way by! Maybe next yr!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 05:10:03 PM »

Glad you guys made it home safe and sound. I'll bet it feels good to do a shake down for your big trip next year! Welcome back!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 05:29:11 AM »

Mike,

Sounds like you all had a good "shakedown" run for your Alaska trip.

To be honest, I don't think I have ever had a trip were at least a minor issue has not come up.

Goes with the territory of owning an old bus.

But having the ability, tools and manuals makes it just an obstacle, not a mountain.

Glad to hear you had the same, welcome back to the "Sunshine" state.....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: