Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 12:16:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technomadia Update - 4106 Contender in Yuma, AZ  (Read 3936 times)
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:52:22 PM »

After a two month extensive search across the country (including the last few weeks traveling on an Amtrak rail pass) - we have come across a particularly promising 4106 contender that we viewed yesterday in Yuma, AZ.  I wanted to update you all and ask if any of you might have any input, advice, wisdom, or history to share about the bus we are considering. We know a lot of bus enthusiasts winter in Yuma, and maybe some of you might even recognize the bus and know a bit more about it.

Here are the photos we took yesterday:
https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/5589663/2/Bus%20Hunt/AZ%20-%20Yuma%204106?h=91171f

The seller bought this bus at an estate auction six months ago.  It needed new starter batteries, and he was able to get it home without problems.  Before that it had sat for five years (or maybe more) - the previous owner is apparently passed away prior to the auction.  The current owner knows very little about buses, or this bus' history - other than that the conversion was done in 1989.  He says he has a big stack of documentation on all the systems and the engine, but he didn't have them with him when we met him yesterday morning.  (He was cutting out from work to meet us as we were passing through town - I don't think he was hiding anything.)

The quality of the conversion seems to be extremely high.  The layout and woodwork in the interior is fabulous for our desires.  The systems all seem smartly thought out.  The tanks vent to the roof, and there are power outlets everywhere inside.  And the bus exterior has a great look and it is in great shape - it just needs a good detailing, and it will be a gem.  The blue paint has a milky type coating, but the one area we polished the layer of grime off of came back looking gorgeous. Otherwise, no evidence of the paint peeling,chipping, etc.

Here are the issues we discovered with the bus:
1) There is a substantial air leak in the bay under the drivers seat, seemingly coming from the fitting on the back of the pressure tank.
2) The wheels are split rims, and need to be replaced ASAP, as well as all new tires.
3) There is some fluid dripping from the transmission fluid filter, potentially not an unusual amount, but still worth a closer look.
4) There is some oil dripping from the engine - more than other 4106's we've seen, but not extreme.  It looked like there may have been leaking around the alternator.
5) There are currently no house batteries installed, and there is no inverter.  The converter is very basic looking.  I would replace it all with a nice inverter / charger and a big bank of AGM's.

The engine started right up and ran great at idle in the parking lot, but considering the air leak and wheels / tires we didn't take it for a test drive.

The bus has jake brakes, the wipers work (and I am guessing are electric based upon how they operated), there is a propane furnace and water heater, two roof air conditioning units, and the fridge is AC / propane.

The 7.5KW Onan diesel generator was promised as working by the auction company (I know.. don't believe it until we see it), but the generator start battery is dead - and so we couldn't test it nor the air conditioning.  The generator seems to be plumbed to feed from the main diesel tank.  The gas gauge for the tank seems non-functional.  The generator has very low hours (less than 200!), and seems to have barely been used.

We looked up the bus serial number (4106-446), and it looks as if this 4106 may never have been a Greyhound.  It was made as a single order for "Citizen Auto Stage Company" in Nogales, AZ - Sept 1961 - it seems as if it potentially served its life as a tour bus around Tucson in the 1960's.  It very likely may have spent most of its entire life in the Southwest - the bus seems to be almost entirely corrosion free (except a little around the driver's window, where there is the common 4106 rust on the bottom of the d-pillar) .  The shots I got sticking the camera up underneath the bus reveal an immaculate bottom. 

Do any of you have any thoughts on the brake canisters?  The engine setup?  The bays and plumbing?

How much time and money should we plan on it taking to get this bus back into a safe and serviceable state, especially considering that we will need to be living in it from day one?  Are there any warning signs that this might be an unusually deep time and money pit?

Any recommendations on where to get work done in the Southwest - particularly around Yuma?  We would love to find a bus mechanic we can trust out in this area to help us get up to speed before driving too far with it.  We also will need to track down a good deal on rims and tires, as well as getting the air line/bag situation fixed ASAP if we buy this.

We are seriously considering this bus, knowing that we will have to invest some to get it back to a decent state of currency.  But it is seeming like a great foundation, and we think we can get it for a great price.

If any of you guys have any time to chime in about red or green flags seen in the pictures, or about things to watch out for in 4106's in general, we'd love to get some feedback on this bus.

Wish us luck!

- Chris (and Cherie) // www.technomadia.com

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »

One thing I like is the PO removed the 4 oil air filters lol

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
dellisor
David M Ellisor

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »

I know where there is one that the owner passed away and his wife would like to get rid of it. it has a strong 8-71 that was rebuilt by luke at us coach and i dont think it leaks a drop of oil. The first owner was a cabnet maker and it is a nice conversion. It had been siting two years when i figured out thet the stater had a post issue and I wanted to bump it just to see if i had a conection and this thing fired after a one secound bump WOW. she would like to get 20 thousand but I think she will take 17 it has awnings on every window I beleave but its been about 8 months sence i have seen it. I did talk to her this last month though. If anyone is intrested just let me know
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »

Judging from what you have found so far you're looking @ an easy 10K + worth of improvements/changes. New tires + wheels could easily be over 5K. Good Trace Inverter, again close to to 5K. Have you priced AGM's lately ? As I recall you wanted solar... Figure north of 3K for batteries and modest amount of solar. Are the tanks big enough for boondocking for long ? Is the Suspension, steering, brakes, airbags, etc... in good operable condition ? Is it a stick ?, a new clutch will set you back near 4K. How old is the fridge, water heater. Full timing cuts their life short. In 7 years we are on our second of each. If you can take it to a real mechanic and pay a few hundred for a FULL mechanical inspection. Find a busnut in the area to asses the conversion parts. Good luck.

Don + Sheila
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 03:04:40 PM »

Chris,

That old bus looks good in the pictures. Pretty nice interior. Of course, pictures can be deceiving, so the suggestion to get a bus mechanic to look it over is a good one. It would be a couple of hundred bucks well spent.

I don't like the way the receiver hitch is mounted. When the time comes that you acquire a toad, you'll want to redo that.

Those brake chambers are "Mini Max" chambers made by a company called International Transquip Industries. They were fairly common upgrade on 4106s because they fit in tight spots and include a parking brake function. They are no longer made.

One thing to double check is the engine bulkhead. Early 4106s were known to crack the bulkhead, especially when modified for the V730 automatic conversion. You want to be sure that the bulkhead has been reinforced.

I believe this bus has potential, if purchased for the right price.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »

Thanks for all the great feedback all... much appreciated, and keep it coming for sure Smiley

We *definitely* want to take it to a mechanic (no suggestion needed on that, was already the plan), so we're particularly interested in recommendations for one in Yuma or AZ in general that we can easily get it to.   And the also immediate need, recommendations for someone to address the air leak and potentially the tires/wheels before we would leave Yuma.

Also, any bus nuts in Yuma who would be willing to take a look at it with us would be most appreciated as well.   We're not afraid of work and expenses, but we are trying to approach this eyes wide open!

Thanks again!

- Cherie

Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 05:49:42 PM »

Cherie:

If you do buy this bus, (which looks pretty good!) that Azden 2-way radio is NOT a CB, but rather a ham radio, which requires an FCC license. I or several others on this list could buy it from you.

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2011, 05:57:10 PM »

Sweet - we were pretty sure it was a HAM radio, as there is a CB on the floor.  We both got our technicians's licenses a while back, but hadn't the space or time to research one to get in our old rig.  So we are looking forward to actually using our licenses. Smiley

-Cherie

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:10:14 PM »

Chris & Cherie -

Nice looking coach, seems to be in pretty decent shape for it's age.  The fact that it's a SW coach is a good thing, as you've found out.  I like the fact that even tho they covered up the rear window, at least they matched the original "lines" of the coach, instead of a stick 'n staple rear cap.  Most of the exterior shots show a straight body, with minimal rash and no major boo-boos.  Glad to see they kept the original front headlights & turn signals too, instead of the inferior rectangular lights conversion.  (Great upgrade?  Add Cibie headlights!)

A personal preference for me is the low-mounted driver's side exterior rear view mirror, not the high mount like this coach has.  Combined with that big convex mirror, IMHO it creates a HUGE blind spot when making LH turns - enough to hide a pedestrian (or a Mini!).  If nothing else, I'd seriously look into remounting the convex above the square mirror, not below.  The whole assembly can be low-mounted, as the coaches came either way, but you'd need a LH low body bracket and arm off a donor coach.

There is a member of this board (Geoff) who's a top-notch Detroit guru that lives N of Phoenix, in Prescott, I think.  He might be willing to come down and take a look at it with you.  Drop him a note and see, I think his contact info is in his profile.

Check with any of the charter bus companies in the Yuma area and see if one of their mechanics might be willing to go over the coach mechanicals with you "after hours".  Ask for the shop foreman when you call.

You might also call a couple of the RV dealerships in the area and again ask the shop foreman if he's got any technicians who might be willing to moonlight a little to go over the house systems with you.

Since you're looking at replacing the wheels/tires, I'd like to make the following suggestion.  I've written about this numerous times over the years on this BBS (use the Google search window at the top of the page) or on BNO, so here's the Cliff's Notes version:  With the V-730 transmission, the coach's overall gearing is lower, thus burning more fuel at any given road speed.  The ONLY wheel/tire combination that returns performance close to OEM is 24.5 inch rims with 11R24.5 tires that turn 470 - 475 revs per mile.  Original factory gearing was set up with tires turning 495 revs/mile, but using that rpm (or more) with the V-730 automatic increases your fuel consumption and lowers your top speed. 

The HD tire industry has been rapidly changing to predominately 22.5 inch rims with metric sizing, so you have to do your homework.  Shoot for a tire that turns LESS than 495 rpm to help make up for the auto's lower gearing.  All truck tire manufacturers list the revs/mile in their tire sizing spec books, make them earn their money.

Oh, and stay away from "transit" tires.  These are usually speed rated at only 50 or 55 mph - they're designed with heavier sidewalls to take the beating transit drivers give them from bumping curbs all day long.  (Did you know that curbs are part of a bus's braking system?  No?  Ask a transit driver!)  You want highway speed-rated (75 mph) tires.

That's all I can think of at the moment.  The 4106 is a good coach, considered by many old-timers in the industry as the best highway coach ever built by GMC, but got overshadowed by the Scenicruiser and the industry's shift to 40-foot models.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Seville

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2011, 07:47:54 PM »

I know a diesel road service guy in Yuma, he mainly works on trucks but he also works on buses.
He should know of any two stroke detroit guys in town.

His name is Rene and his company is called JR's mobile service. 928 257 8979.
He is real friendly and helpful.

Good Luck

New York City
1984 MC9 6v92T
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 02:20:38 AM »

Check with Purcell for tires and wheels. 928-317-0769  They are on the frontage road by the freeway just to the east of the Rush Truck Center near exit 3.  Buffalo Bus Tours is also on the frontage road by exit 14. Don't know if they have a mechanic on site or if they contract out.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:55:38 AM »

I would like to second RJ'S words about tire selection for a GM with a v730.  Removed a set of low profile Mich. from "Huggy" and replaced with a set of 11r24.5  Hancocks.

Best improvement to the cruising and fuel mileage that I have done.

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 08:21:49 AM »

I have 11R-24.5 tires on my transit, and couldn't be happier-suggest it if you're replacing all.  Make sure you fire up the generator-Onan's are known to be expensive to fix and have to fix often.  Check the air bags on the air suspension to see if they are cracked.  From what I see, you could easily dump an additional $20,000.00 into it to make it road worthy.  Please keep in mind you're looking at a bus that is 50 years old!  On the surface it looks good, but dig a bit to see how the wiring is run, plumbing, etc.  I was sort of amazed at the low number of circuit breakers.  At $10,000.00 it would be a good deal.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »

Just wondering if you looked at this one while in Yuma area?

http://yuma.craigslist.org/rvs/2366957546.html

Cawston, British Columbia
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 09:13:18 AM »

Best improvement to the cruising and fuel mileage that I have done.

And that MPG works out to?  Inquiring minds and all that. 

Please,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 09:18:04 AM »

Looks pretty clean, the house systems seem clearly installed.  Bus looks good, FYI all buses are money pits.  Are only the fronts split rims?  Looks nice in the engine bay. 

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 09:59:19 AM »

You pretty much covered the bases I have no idea what a mechanic can tell you about the 8v71 without tearing into it if they start easy and not much blue or white smoke after warm up that is about all you can say regardless it may run for 2,000 miles or 200,000 if the oil leaks are from the tubes drive the puppy it will clean up what I am trying to say there is no guarantee even with a mechanic inspection, but do a test drive me IMO I think you are trying to buy a 1st class bus for little money if want that then you part with some big bucks
Look at the bus Tim found the power train setup is worth 10,000 that is a rare setup for a 4104

good luck

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »

I will second ZubZub's comments.  It looks to be a really special bus.  

About tires:  There has been sooooo much discussion on here.  I wonder that more hasn't been said about it other than size....and that was a gem.  We don't wear out tires.....ever.  I think buying new tires to throw away with 75% tread in 7 years is a shame.  You can find "take offs" of nearly any brand for cheap and they can be had with enuf tread to last you 7 years.  You just NEED to check the date of manufacturer code on EACH tire.  A tire that has run a year on a truck is pretty much proven to be a good tire and some new ones fail after lkittle use and there is never a warranty you can count on though some here seem to have gotten satisfaction.

The tires on a dual need to be closely matched in diameter and brand/model.  A miss match in size and the tires eat each other....close doesn't count.  Any recap that works in Az is good enuf for me and there may not be any of those.  Most only buy "new" tires for the fronts, if they but new tires.  The duals from side to side should also match in diameter between the duals or the diff turns excessively.  Tires that have an excessively high load range rating ride very poorly....read dental work in jeopardy.  As the industry turns away from 24 inch tires there are a lot of aluminum rims available used.  You need to shop.  Also, the rims come in "hub centered and stud centered" models.  They are not interchangeable.  The rims also wear out and need to be inspected carefully.

There is a tire balancing system that mounts with the tire called Centramatic.  Search it and read the most recent threads.  They are rim size specific so they are out there used as well.  All info is that that balancer is "the way to go" and it saves tires and somehow adds MPG besides it purpose of comfort.

Go to a DD factory shop with a dyno AND A TWO STROKE MECH to have your engine evaluated.  They also go thru your transmission while they are at it.  They "can" do there best job.  A really good independent shop with an experienced two stroke mech must be every bit as good but without trusted referrals from here I would go with the DD shop IF they have a 2 stroke guy.

Never get under a air ride suspension bus until it has been blocked up properly.  Death awaits those that don't heed that advice....I am told.

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »

JohnEd, you are not going to find a DD dealer that will put a 50 year bus on a Dyno if they do a out of frame they will on their rebuild on the engine only.
if don't mind me asking what is the 2 stroke guy supposed to look for if it starts easy the compression is good and you cannot check the oil rings from the inspection covers so what does one check without tearing into it not much my friend it is all done by the smoke a compression test would cost a couple of grand.
If the engine has 5 lbs of oil pressure at idle on hot engine and 30 lbs at 1800 rpm you are good to go

I thought about driving to Yuma a guy that is in touch with the buyers ask me last night and told him if they like bus buy the damn thing and roll the dice.
I will not give advice or a inspection on a old bus just to make a couple 100 bucks just not my cup of tea to have somebody pissed when something happens and sh** does happen

good luck
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:47:55 AM by luvrbus » Logged

TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 10:35:29 AM »

. . .Here are the issues we discovered with the bus:
1) There is a substantial air leak in the bay under the drivers seat, seemingly coming from the fitting on the back of the pressure tank.
2) The wheels are split rims, and need to be replaced ASAP, as well as all new tires. . . .

. . . considering the air leak and wheels / tires we didn't take it for a test drive.

The multi-piece rims themselves aren't an issue and by the pictures the rubber doesn't look so bad. Sure, tubeless rubber would be nice, but if the  tube-type tires  aren't badly worn or aged, then tires wouldn't have to be at the very top of the list; certainly not high enough on the list to preclude a test drive.

Engine certainly looks fresh and workmanship appears to be tidy. I'm with lurbus on engine evaluation; start it cold, open the oil fill to check "puffing" there, warm it up and run it hard, buy it.

As to the substantial air leak, I don't believe there was originally any plumbing "behind" the reservoir located below the driver, although there is some plumbing towards the inboard side. Possibly the reservoir's drain valve is open?

Ted
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 10:40:02 AM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
Cary and Don

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 10:49:08 AM »

When you buy a cheap bus that the owner bought to flip you are rolling the dice.  You had better plan on having bought a fixer.  Remember that most mechanics charge from $75 to $100 an hour.  There are a lot of decent priced quality buses out there with some sort of reliable history.  Yet they have chosen a pig in a poke.  If they like it they can buy it and hope for the best.  This is why so many new bus owners end up never making it home.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 10:52:38 AM »

oh yeah under the driver's seat on the GMs is the aux air tank.  Things that leak there are , aux air cut out valve, low air alarm sensor, brake light switch, and if no one has been draining it either the aux air tank (rusted out) or the front air tank (same)  All these leaks are easy fixes, just a little awkward.  BTW my '04 has an access panel for the aux air cut out valve in the cockpit.   This allows servicing of the aux air cut out valve from above, much easier than from the side door.  Other source of air leaks would be front airbags/supply lines.
The other 4104 with the Cummins Diesel LTA 10 sounds pretty good as long as the install was good.  Speaking of which you need to see the paperwork on either the L10 or the 8V71 engine to get an idea of what was done.  the L10 seems like a nice repower, but if it is a bagged out engine with fresh paint and/or the install was done badly it will be more trouble than the 8V71 IMHO. 
Just looked at the craigs ad again, that L10 4104 seems like a sweet deal.  The fact that it has been running working in the last 2 years makes it a more known quantity....good thing I don't have 10K to spare right now.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:03:34 AM by zubzub » Logged

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 11:17:32 AM »

I thought about driving to Yuma a guy that is in touch with the buyers ask me last night and told him if they like bus buy the damn thing and roll the dice.
I will not give advice or a inspection on a old bus just to make a couple 100 bucks just not my cup of tea to have somebody pissed when something happens and sh** does happen

Totally agreed on this, luvrbus.  For the record, we had actually asked the gentleman who called you for recommendations on resources within range of Yuma that we could get the bus to should we encounter problems after leaving Yuma.  We were not specifically having him to seek someone to drive to Yuma with us for an onsite inspection.   (Although, if there does happen to be a busnut or DD mechanic in Yuma that could look things over with us, we would love to have a learned set of eyes & hands go over things with us).   

We would never expect to pay someone advice/inspection and have that convey any sort of promise or guarantee - we clearly know there is no such thing on something of this age.  We look at that as more paying for education for our own reference.  We are simply accessing what our resources are should we choose to roll the dice and things go badly. As we are not finding many resources in Yuma itself this time of year, we're looking for resources within reasonable towing range that we could get the bus to for work if/when it needed it.   

If you are open to it, luvrbus (and we do choose to roll the dice on this one), we would still love to talk with you and see if you might be open to us bringing the bus up your way and having you go over things with us.  Not to make guesses about the condition of things, but rather to teach us for things to look out for, maintaining it and spotting anything that might need more immediate addressing.  And of course, if you have the time and availability - if it does need work before moving out of AZ, we would love to know if we have a resource to bring the bus to for work. 

As to the 'getting it home part', Cary & Don - we are home the moment we buy our bus, whether it's happily running, plugged in at a campground or awaiting tow on the side of the road.  As full time travelers for 5 years now with no physical home base - we are in no rush to get anywhere, and nor do we have anywhere else to be.  If the bus ends up needing extended work.. so be it.  We find a reliable mechanic, pack our backpacks and head off for an adventure somewhere.   We're adaptable.

Thanks again all for all the wonderful advice, tips and cautionary tales.  We are soaking it all up, taking notes and doing our best to go into this eyes wide open.

- Cherie (and Chris)

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 11:21:27 AM »

ZubZub,

Me too!

—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 11:31:18 AM »

Bring it on I am about 200 miles n of Yuma off 95 in Mohave Valley I will be glad to help you get road worthy that's not a problem and you can use my shop and tools to do your service work also and I have 50 amp service for electricity and we have a local tire guy JR that will treat you right on wheels and tires new or used you are welcome anytime

good luck

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »

Just looked at the craigs ad again, that L10 4104 seems like a sweet deal.  The fact that it has been running working in the last 2 years makes it a more known quantity....good thing I don't have 10K to spare right now.

We didn't go look at that 4104 because we aren't fond of the front-kitchen layout.  But we did happen to run across the former owner who had done the L10 conversion, and who is now selling his 4106 that he bought when he sold the 4104.  

He shared that he had had many overheating issues with his 4104, and that he wasn't overly happy with how the repower worked out.  Perhaps the new owner worked all the bugs out, but if anyone who is interested in the bus wants the contact info for the previous owner who did the repowering to learn more about it - let me know and I'll pass it on.

Cheers,

- Chris

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 12:06:45 PM »

Clifford,

I completely disagree....respectfully, of course.  You must know that I have never turned a wrench on a DD or any other D for that matter.  And the prospects are dimming for that to ever happen.

As far as shiX happens, it is to minimize that prospect that we work and all the while knowing that we can't eliminate it.  Still, our time isn't wasted. Especially if there is a $15K penalty.  "Roll the dice" must be music to the ears of any charlatan that is peddling a junker.  I have heard engines start that sounded like they had gravel inside....rough and really noisy....and they didn't smoke.  I have heard others ran like oiled clocks and they didn't smoke either.  i agree that if they smoke they are worn out almost certainly but that may be fuel although that isn't likely.  My gaser had a dose of bad fuel and it smoked so badly I thought it must be on fire and I stopped to put that fire out.  Bad gas!  Till it ran on fresh gas I still didn't believe the engine hadn't had a catastrophic failure.  My experience and one that makes me humble when making decisions automotive.

I did look at a bus that had a destroyed engine.  The "brand new owner" had looked over the "in-frame" overhaul documentation and decided he knew enuf and "rolled the dice".  He didn't know shiX from Shineola about D's either.  Well he made it about a hundred miles and the engine decintagrate, so to speak.  Turns out the guy that overhauled it, the shop, didn't adjust the valve timing gear circuit and the alternator or one of the gears stripped off and dumped "teeth" in the rest of the gears.  I was told by the shop owner that that almost always takes out the entire engine with great finality.  I can't swear to that on my own.  I asked if an in-frame shouldn't include a lot of tests and adjustments other than only cylinder replacements and the answer was "HeXX yes".  Specifically I asked if the present owner couldn't have told that there was a problem without tearing into the engine and, again, the answer was "yes".  I didn't press for details on how to do that inspection but I guess there is an access plate to adjust the cam drive train without a major disassemble of the engine as it is a PM inspection I imagine.  Regardless, an experienced 2 stroke mech would probably hear that drive train that was on the edge or maybe he would have needed a stethoscope....I don't know.  I believe what I was told about it being discoverable prior to failure, though.  The shop owner where the bus had come to rest said "only probably needs a few valves, John".  He is a card.  I asked if the engine was recoverable and was told that "the failure occurred on a hill with the engine up against the gov. and the trans is a stick so prospects are none".

I will say that you assist and guidance to techno is a true Godsend of an opportunity that he should take advantage of post haste.  And if he looses the engine I am sure (no joke) that you have or know of a replacement he could have for free or less.  You have done more for others you knew less well that I have first hand knowledge of.  And that was on a Xmas eve and you needed to drive hundreds of miles to help a stranger on the side of the road.  All things considered i guess techno should go for it and only be concerned that he reach your "ranch".  And i say that in all sincerity.  Do you have your ears up Techno?

Be well Clifford, you have earned your rep.  I take back nothing I have said.

John

Posted while Clifford and Tech were posting.  Seems all is well in River City.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:09:31 PM by JohnEd » Logged

—Pla
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »

Sounds like something David  @ SOD would say I saw one of his 8v92 rebuilds last 340 miles lol Mr H the owner made him go to DD and buy him a engine would not let him try and repair it about that time they decided not to work on buses anymore wonder why  

good luck  
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 12:27:02 PM by luvrbus » Logged

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »

Chris & Cherie -

Was looking at the photos of that 4106 again, when something caught my eye that may be part of the air leak in the front exterior compartment under the driver:

The air-ride seat.

Yup, check the plumbing for the seat.  I recently helped another busnut fix an air leak that was traced to a split air line coming from the aux tank under the driver up thru the floor to the seat.  Fix was inexpensive, just had to be somewhat of a contortionist.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS: Check your private messages.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Geoff

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »

The thing i think about when buying a home conversion is trying to figure out what is wrong when something quits working.  It looks lile the guy did a nice job but what is behind all those panels?  Everytime you have a problem is it going to cost you mega-dollars to find the problem.  I built my own bus so I know if there is a problem I know exactly where to look.  That is the benefit of buildiing you own conversion 'till you die then it is someone else's problem. 

Geoff
'82 RTS AZ
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »

*deep breath*

Well..  we made an offer, and it was accepted!

Contingent upon a successful test drive, getting the genset operational (already have what should be a suitable starter battery to take down with us) and confirming the A/C units are operational (essential in this AZ heat).  We'll of course be taking all the advice we've been given and checking pressure gauge readings at various RPMS, watching for smoke, etc.  

We're heading down to Yuma in the morning to conduct all of that.  Assuming all goes to our satisfaction, we'll complete the transaction and move the bus to a RV Park in Yuma for a week and spend that time living in it and getting to know all the systems and making sure we're happy with it.  If we then deem it worthwhile enough to start pouring money into, we'll head on up to see luvrbus and get new shoes, start learning maintenance and anything else it needs to be road worthy.

If there is anything else folks recommend checking out before signing the deal, please do let us know.  Or any tips on starting up a genset that's been sitting un run for so long.  

We have so appreciated all of the wonderful advice, encouragement, wisdom and words of caution folks have been so generous with giving here.  We look forward to becoming active participating community members here, and meeting many of you out on the road!

- Cherie (and Chris)

TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »

. . .If there is anything else folks recommend checking out before signing the deal, please do let us know. . . .

I'd probably check the differential  for a wet pinion seal and pull the drain plug to check for "jewelry" and oil condition. The diff is sort of an Achilles heel. The rest of it looks real good from here.

We didn't hear about thick brake shoes, and drums did we?

Ted

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »

...  Or any tips on starting up a genset that's been sitting un run for so long.  

Call me when you are standing in front of it.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »

Cherie,

I have not the slightest concern for your well being given the assurances you have.  You are in the most knowledgeable and generous hands I have ever even heard about.  I am glad for your good fortune and welcome to the world of bus Knuts.  I don't understand why you would delay the week but enjoy the sights.

We have a "road assist list" that you might want to familiarize yourself with.  I am on it and you are welcome to stop by on your travels up thru the Great Northwest.  I am on I5 in Eugene.  A word of advice to you on the road test and purchase.....get towing insurrance.  The board is full of threads on the topic and details about the various brands.  Gert it before you start your journey...even to drive cross town to the RV lot you mentioned.

Safe travels,

John

John

—Pla
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »

Cherie,

I have not the slightest concern for your well being given the assurances you have.  You are in the most knowledgeable and generous hands I have ever even heard about.  I am glad for your good fortune and welcome to the world of bus Knuts.  I don't understand why you would delay the week but enjoy the sights.

Thank you so much, and we do feel very blessed by the connections and serendipity of this all.   

Stopping for a week is also for our mental sanity! Smiley  We've been living out of backpacks for the past 2 months as we've conducted this cross country search, and it'll be good to still at home at last, get to know our new home and get caught up on some other life stuff.  Like work. We may be nomads, but we also enjoy our still time - especially in the midst of change.  And who knows, we may get antsy and head up earlier too. 

We have a "road assist list" that you might want to familiarize yourself with.  I am on it and you are welcome to stop by on your travels up thru the Great Northwest.  I am on I5 in Eugene.  A word of advice to you on the road test and purchase.....get towing insurrance. 

Thanks, I was actually just reading through the assist list - it brings much delight to hear that such a network exists.  And we look forward to one day listing ourselves as mobile assists as well.

I did add motorhome coverage to our existing AAA policy over the weekend, and have queued up CoachNet to look into as an alternative.

- Cherie

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »

Thought I would pass this on to you there is a wrecking yard at Winterhaven a couple of miles west of Yuma off I 8 that has some wrecked buses and RV's for parts also a nice RV park on I 8 at Winterhaven on the river nice pool and clubhouse in Yuma park with your back to the west lol

good luck

zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »

Congrats and good busin.  hey remember to get tow insurance...it will really help ease the bite if you need and expensive repair.  Buses are $500-$1000 to tow.  Spend some time, change all the fluids, get to know the electricals, the relays etc....can really get you chasing your tale.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: