Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 02:40:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technomadia Update - 4106 Contender in Yuma, AZ  (Read 4475 times)
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »

*deep breath*

Well..  we made an offer, and it was accepted!

Contingent upon a successful test drive, getting the genset operational (already have what should be a suitable starter battery to take down with us) and confirming the A/C units are operational (essential in this AZ heat).  We'll of course be taking all the advice we've been given and checking pressure gauge readings at various RPMS, watching for smoke, etc.  

We're heading down to Yuma in the morning to conduct all of that.  Assuming all goes to our satisfaction, we'll complete the transaction and move the bus to a RV Park in Yuma for a week and spend that time living in it and getting to know all the systems and making sure we're happy with it.  If we then deem it worthwhile enough to start pouring money into, we'll head on up to see luvrbus and get new shoes, start learning maintenance and anything else it needs to be road worthy.

If there is anything else folks recommend checking out before signing the deal, please do let us know.  Or any tips on starting up a genset that's been sitting un run for so long.  

We have so appreciated all of the wonderful advice, encouragement, wisdom and words of caution folks have been so generous with giving here.  We look forward to becoming active participating community members here, and meeting many of you out on the road!

- Cherie (and Chris)

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »

. . .If there is anything else folks recommend checking out before signing the deal, please do let us know. . . .

I'd probably check the differential  for a wet pinion seal and pull the drain plug to check for "jewelry" and oil condition. The diff is sort of an Achilles heel. The rest of it looks real good from here.

We didn't hear about thick brake shoes, and drums did we?

Ted

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 05:00:36 PM »

...  Or any tips on starting up a genset that's been sitting un run for so long.  

Call me when you are standing in front of it.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 05:25:44 PM »

Cherie,

I have not the slightest concern for your well being given the assurances you have.  You are in the most knowledgeable and generous hands I have ever even heard about.  I am glad for your good fortune and welcome to the world of bus Knuts.  I don't understand why you would delay the week but enjoy the sights.

We have a "road assist list" that you might want to familiarize yourself with.  I am on it and you are welcome to stop by on your travels up thru the Great Northwest.  I am on I5 in Eugene.  A word of advice to you on the road test and purchase.....get towing insurrance.  The board is full of threads on the topic and details about the various brands.  Gert it before you start your journey...even to drive cross town to the RV lot you mentioned.

Safe travels,

John

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »

Cherie,

I have not the slightest concern for your well being given the assurances you have.  You are in the most knowledgeable and generous hands I have ever even heard about.  I am glad for your good fortune and welcome to the world of bus Knuts.  I don't understand why you would delay the week but enjoy the sights.

Thank you so much, and we do feel very blessed by the connections and serendipity of this all.   

Stopping for a week is also for our mental sanity! Smiley  We've been living out of backpacks for the past 2 months as we've conducted this cross country search, and it'll be good to still at home at last, get to know our new home and get caught up on some other life stuff.  Like work. We may be nomads, but we also enjoy our still time - especially in the midst of change.  And who knows, we may get antsy and head up earlier too. 

We have a "road assist list" that you might want to familiarize yourself with.  I am on it and you are welcome to stop by on your travels up thru the Great Northwest.  I am on I5 in Eugene.  A word of advice to you on the road test and purchase.....get towing insurrance. 

Thanks, I was actually just reading through the assist list - it brings much delight to hear that such a network exists.  And we look forward to one day listing ourselves as mobile assists as well.

I did add motorhome coverage to our existing AAA policy over the weekend, and have queued up CoachNet to look into as an alternative.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »

Thought I would pass this on to you there is a wrecking yard at Winterhaven a couple of miles west of Yuma off I 8 that has some wrecked buses and RV's for parts also a nice RV park on I 8 at Winterhaven on the river nice pool and clubhouse in Yuma park with your back to the west lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 06:56:54 PM »

Congrats and good busin.  hey remember to get tow insurance...it will really help ease the bite if you need and expensive repair.  Buses are $500-$1000 to tow.  Spend some time, change all the fluids, get to know the electricals, the relays etc....can really get you chasing your tale.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: