Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 15, 2017, 09:36:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at (657) 221-0432 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Propane Tank Certification - Permanently Fixed  (Read 5160 times)
Doug1968

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »

Fellows,

Do permanently fixed horizontal propane tanks need re-certification? If so, how often and by whom?

Doug

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »

No they don't require  re-certification Doug

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »

Whenever a post like this shows up I swear I'm going to look at the permanant tag that is generally attatched to my tank. I have a 85 gallon lp tank. When I lived in the country and had lp for heat the 500 gallon tank had a tag that showed it's year of origin and such (made in 1956). The only problem I have incurred with the bus propane tank is they want me to drive it to their business for filling rather than them coming to my location because of local laws concerning lp tanks in town, which there are none. They fill it out of their truck anyways so it's just avoiding any complaints and such. No big deal.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
RoyJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:02:08 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but is a "permanantly mount" tank the same as automotive propane tanks, like those on propane taxis and fleet trucks?

If not, can I put an auto-propane style tank on my bus, so I can just drive up to an auto propane pump (generally cheaper) and fill up myself? I assume auto propane tanks also don't expire?
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 09:49:06 PM »

Roy-yes you can.  But remember that the appliances in an RV uses vapor compared to the automotive drawing liquid.  Some automotive tanks will have both vapor and liquid hook ups.  The main reason frame mounted tanks do not require re inspection is that they are built much more stoutly then portable BBQ type tanks.  The new tank I just got for my truck was built in 2005, but has never been used-still has the nitrogen charge in the tank.   Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RoyJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 09:26:28 AM »

I see. So the trick is to find an automotive tank with a vapor port.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 07:45:05 AM »

CORRECTAMUNDO!

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
silversport

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 08:57:49 PM »

How big of a tank are you looking for? I have changed to two removable tank (just don't like having to unhook the whole gig to get propane). I think it is a 12 gallon vertical tank and I am going to be in Ocean Park for the Fourth.
Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: