Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 18, 2014, 03:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire in my NJT MC9 - Attn others !  (Read 653 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:57:39 AM »

Last Wed, we had the bus loaded and ready to go heading out to work a trade show with my brother. Started the bus and noticed the check engine / check transmission / do not shift lights on. Bus was running fine, then noticed smoke pouring out of engine compartment. Hit the batteries switch and headed to the rear with the extinguisher.. Couldn't find the source, but the smoke dissipated pretty quick with all the engine compartment doors open. It was coming from the lower pas side behind the fuel filters. After all the smoke cleared, I could still not find an obvious fire spot and flipped the batteries back on. As soon as the switch flipped on, the starter engaged and began to burn with flames coming out a vent. After remedying that situation, I pulled the starter and took it to the local auto electric shop to be rebuilt. As they were opening it up to inspect it, oil started pouring out. I would say I saw a cup pour out. When I got back with the new starter, I noticed the breather tube off the valve cover rests against the starter right near a screw. Im guessing over the years, it literally filled the starter with oil. I have since put a deflector on the breather so that anything that comes out will pass the starter. As a side note, I always joked that if my bus started on fire, Id let her go because its worth more burned. I guess I love my bus to much to let that happen..lol.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

John, you need to check and see if you have a plug in the bottom of the bell housing you shouldn't be getting oil out the breather on the valve covers there is a oil leak somewhere

good luck
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 10:41:07 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:52:01 AM »

I had a lot of oil on my starter mostly from the slobber tube.  But I also had a sizable leak from the blower drive cover tube and it drooled on down there as well...

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: