Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 09:03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technomadia Update - Yuma 4106 Resurrection Partially Successful  (Read 4682 times)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 05:36:28 AM »

Congratulations and welcome to the madness

You will have fun

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 06:04:09 AM »

This is the first time I saw any pics.  That is a very nice bus.  Congrads!

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 06:44:05 AM »

Congrates! If up near Vegas give a shout! All the best! all the best to you two Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 06:50:56 AM »

lovely interior, I like it a lot.  congratulations!

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »

We've got more photos and a video tour posted now:
http://www.technomadia.com/2011/06/introducing-our-new-vintage-bus/

Our first night in her was great.  And thankfully, the roof airs are able to keep up with the 110+ degree heat here in Yuma.

Now we need to track down rims and tires ASAP.  I've discovered that the drivers inner rear tire is completely shredded and just hanging there in tatters.  The rest of the tires are looking pretty sad too.  This bus's next stop is a tire shop for sure.

Recommendations and advice appreciated - I'm diving in to the forums researching tires now.

Cheers!

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 12:39:57 PM »

Don't forget Sam's and Costco in Yuma can't buy wheels there but tires you may get a good price

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 02:11:25 PM »

"TIRES"   Just can't say enough about going to 11R24.5 tires on the rear.  Get the tallest tire you can get to lower the rpm's of the engine at cruising speed.

Was the biggest help for "HUGGY" that we have done.

4104 and v730

uncle ned

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 03:41:54 PM »

I didn't have much luck at Sam's Club trying to buy 11R24.5 tires.  They could get them, but they couldn't install them.  They were some total off brand and I decided the price wasn't low enough to deal with the off brand and getting them mounted elsewhere.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »

"TIRES"   Just can't say enough about going to 11R24.5 tires on the rear.  Get the tallest tire you can get to lower the rpm's of the engine at cruising speed.

I've called around to get quotes on 11R24.5 tires and wheels.

But...  Is there any combination that might be "too big" for the 4106's wheel wells?  I'd hate to place an order, only to find out I've ended up with something that doesn't fit, or which rubs while turning, or when the bus airs down.

Anything in particular I should be looking out for when it comes to size to avoid going too big?

Also - the current wheels have a 10-lug nut pattern.  Is there anything that I should be aware of here regarding how the wheels mount?

Finally - are there downsides in going with aluminum external wheels and steel inners?  Any advantages to all six matching?

Thanks everyone for the advice!

- Chris // www.technomadia.com

TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »

. . .the current wheels have a 10-lug nut pattern.  Is there anything that I should be aware of here regarding how the wheels mount?

Finally - are there downsides in going with aluminum external wheels and steel inners?  Any advantages to all six matching?

If anyone asks, your coach uses a stud-piloted type wheel, commonly referred to as "Budd" wheels.

One advantage to using a steel inner wheel is that the existing wheel studs will be long enough. With an aluminum wheel's thicker mounting flange the studs may need to be exchanged for studs of longer length.

Ted
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 09:29:26 PM by TedsBUSted » Logged

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »

Chris -

Here's some info you can really use:

Bridgestone Tire model M726EL, size 11R24.5, load range G, Part Number 186181, 75 mph speed rated, 470 revs/mile - PERFECT for the drive axle on your 4106 with the V-730.  Tallest tire I've been able to find in my research.  Now you can get specific quotes!

Yes, these will fit the wheel wells fine.  They might rub in the front a little on full-lock turns, or perhaps pulling into/out of a driveway a little.  But overall, no fit problems.

Be sure to request "stud piloted" wheels - they're different than hub piloted, and your GM uses the stud style.  Lug nuts look just like one off a car, except on steroids.  (Somewhere on this BBS I listed a part number for Accuride steel and aluminum wheels for the GM - use the Google search box to find it.)

Aluminum outers with steel inners is common - but you must put something between the wheels to prevent galvanic corrosion.  Most good tire/wheel shops will have plastic spacers designed just for this purpose.

The other down side is that you will need longer studs on the hubs for the thicker aluminum wheels, especially up front.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 09:57:11 PM »

This is great info indeed RJ, and I read your other thread you emailed me a link too as well.

Will the 11R24.5's have any issue with the rubber flared out tire fenders on the 4106?  The ones on our bus are partially torn away already and not in great shape.  But I can imagine that they might cause some rubbing issues.

I do worry some about rarity of replacements - how hard will it be to find a replacement if we travel into Mexico or Canada?  Should we buy and carry a spare?  Will a spare that large fit in the spare bay on a 4106?

Thanks for all the great info!

- Chris

pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:15 PM »

It sounds like you haven't found the spare tire well, yet. Try looking at the holes in the front bumper. There are two that have bolt heads showing. The tire wrench fits those bolt heads, and when they are backed out, the bumper will fall down to about the 90 degree position. Look at the space.

There is enough room for our spare and for a bag of tire chains laying inside the wheel. Also, look at the floor of that compartment; there is a door for checking the pressure in the spare tire. The weight of the spare and the chains is needed there because the 4106 is light in the nose. When going over bad bridge abutments at 75 MPH or so, the nose will try to become airborne.

Try to get yourself a set of manuals and spend some time reading them. You need four for the bus and they are available with a little looking. They're very informative.

Good luck and take care.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »

Will the 11R24.5's have any issue with the rubber flared out tire fenders on the 4106?  The ones on our bus are partially torn away already and not in great shape.  But I can imagine that they might cause some rubbing issues.

Chris -

I've seen many a GM coach with and without the front rubber fenders.  Have even seen some with the R&M Fiberglass ones, too.  Personal preference as to whether you want to keep them or not.  They do help keep rain splash off neighboring vehicles as you thunder by.  My old 4106's were badly split when I donated it to the PBM.  Yes, chances are good you'll hit them on a full lock turn pulling into a driveway - but you'll also do that with 22.5s, so it's a moot point.  Slow is good in this situation.  Replacements should be available from Luke at (888-262-2434) if you so desire.

Memory's a little foggy right now, but I think on a full-lock turn the 11R24.5 tires may rub slightly on the front shock mount.  You can check this on your own coach in the morning - crank the wheel all the way over, then get out a flashlight and have a look, w/o getting under the bus.

All this can be minimized if your leveling valves front and rear are set to the correct ride height.  Specs are in the maintenance manual.

I do worry some about rarity of replacements - how hard will it be to find a replacement if we travel into Mexico or Canada?  Should we buy and carry a spare?  Will a spare that large fit in the spare bay on a 4106?

Shouldn't be a problem in Canada, not sure about Mexico (altho Clifford [luvrbus] made a comment about that somewhere).  Never heard of anyone having trouble getting a 11R24.5 tire into the spare compartment, but check. 

Tom's comments above are right on, btw.  He's got a nice 4106, too, even if it needs an exterior paint job (just teasing, Tom!!)

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »

RJ's comments are dead on; especially the part about the paint job.

Thanks, RJ.

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: