Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 04:35:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well that was humbling.  (Read 4340 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 07:43:16 AM »

When Eaton bought out Spicer transmission, the name on this transmission changed to the Super10.  It was used for about 8 years before Eaton discontinued to make it.  Driver's had a love hate relationship with this transmission.  In later years it was made in a top 2 configuration where the transmission automatically shifted between 9th and 10th (you don't have that feature).  The nice thing about this transmission is that if the splitter went out, then you'd typically be still able to use gears 2-4-6-8-10.  With the main problem with this transmission being the gear splitter, I would just leave the splitter in the high position and drive it like a 5 spd most of the time-leaving splitting the gears only when you need it-like when going up or down serious hills or mountain passes.  If you have trouble with this transmission, most any truck repair shop will be able to repair it since at one time, all truck manufacturers offered the Eaton Super10 as an option.  If you want to see the ratios of this transmission go to Roadranger.com and pull up on highway heavy duty transmissions and look up a B model 10spd overdrive transmission (11.06, 8.19, 6.05, 4.46, 3.34, 2.48, 1.83, 1.36, 1.00, .75).    The gears are almost perfectly evenly spaced.  So if you were to shift only using the main gears as a 5 spd, if you rev to 2100 rpm, the shift will let the engine come down to 1140rpm-which on the flat would be fine.  Make sure to check the oil in the transmission everytime you change the oil in the engine-the number one failure of transmissions is lack of oil.  The oil level should be even with the fill hole-not a finger down.  Fill it until the oil just barely starts coming out of the fill hole-then you'll have maximum oil for maximum cooling-probably does not have a cooler on it.  If the engine is less then 1450lb/ft of torque, you do not need a cooler.  Great transmission if properly maintained.  I personally liked them.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 09:05:54 AM »

Wow, TomC!! Thanks a million!! You are so bright, your mama calls you "son"!!

So without splitting, 1040 would be close to my downshift RPM?

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »

Brian,

I don't know the model number, it is the original 4104 4 speed.

All I'm saying is, from experience with this one, it shifts as well if not better without the clutch. Others may not be like mine, it is the only 4104 I've driven.

I don't see how there can be any extra wear when the gears don't clash and all the gears are unloaded.

If I miss a shift I just go ahead and use the clutch normally but that doesn't happen often. I have a five ton White WC22 with 5sp/2sp that shifts the same way.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
blank

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »

As long as the speeds match and it dont grind, its not an issue. If they didnt mean for it to grind, like ever, they would have gave it syncros.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »

Mex-busnut-most Detroits will rev to 2300rpm and hit the governor.  With shifting just with your gear shift (without the splitter) your end engine rpm should be around 1250rpm-which is a good flat land speed.  If you're on a hill-then is when the splitter comes into play.  To shift through the gears, you start typically in 1st high or 2nd low, then when you split to second high-move the splitter first, then just release the gas pedal (no clutch), let the engine come down to the normal shift point around 1500rpm then re apply the gas pedal.  To shift and split at the same time, just before you shift, click the splitter down then move the gear shift to neutral then to the next gear (should double clutch until you are familiar with the rpm drops).  To down shift-it is just the opposite.  To only split shift down, first release the gas pedal (no clutch) then click the splitter down, then reapply power. To down shift and split, release the gas pedal and push in the clutch, as you move the shifter to neutral, click the splitter down, then let out the clutch in neutral momentarily and apply gas to rev the engine up, then depress the clutch and pull it down to the next gear.  Sounds complicated-but is actually simple once you get the momentum of the transmission. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »

Brian & Gus -

The basic Spicer transmission model in the 4104, 4106, etc. is a 7145.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: