Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 02:41:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: V730 Lockup  (Read 1569 times)
gus

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2011, 02:20:28 PM »

Can anyone please tell me how to keep my V730 on my 4107 locked in first or second gear so I don't have to use the torque converter climbing mountain grades?

I sure would like to be able to avoid all that heat from the TC.

I read a recent post about keeping the V730 locked in first gear but my V730 spec sheet says it is only locked in second and third?? Is this sheet wrong?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:37:17 PM »

You lock it 1st buy the shifter 2nd and 3rd is a automatic lockup,I am not clear on the question about using the torque the transmission works through the torque converter no matter what gear

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:12:28 PM »

Clifford i think what he is asking is how can he keep the torque converter locked in 1st gear to reduce heat output from the tc.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
norules

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »

"On the V730 (at least mine with an air controlled throttle modulator since I have an air throttle), when the bus is slowing down on the grade, you first will down shift from 3rd lockup to 2nd lockup. The next what feels like a down shift is the transmission going from lockup to converter mode in 2nd. When this happens, then pull the shifter (I have a 3-2-1-N-R shifter on the floor) down into 1st and the transmission will shift to 1st converter spinning the engine alot faster. Then pull up your foot about an inch off the floor and you should feel the transmission bump back into lockup mode. You can go up a hill with minimal heating on the transmission as long as it is in lockup mode. Suggestion- the gap between 1st and 2nd is pretty big, so when you get up to the top of the mountain and want to shift up, first floor the gas pedal again (remember you had the gas pedal up about an inch for lockup), and that will put the transmission back into converter mode, then manually shift it into 2nd converter for a much smoother shift then when the converter is locked up. Sounds confusing-but once this technique is perfected, climbing even a long grade in 100 degree weather should not be a problem-course you'll be going only about 32 mph! Good Luck, TomC"
gus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »

Thanks all.

I now have read in my Allison Conversion Manual that it locks in all three gears even though the spec sheet I got off the internet from Global Industrial Automatic (who overhauls Allisons) says otherwise?? You would think they would know if they overhaul them?

When a TC is locked it no longer acts as a fluid coupling, it is strictly a mechanical connection like a regular clutch, and no longer transmits power through fluid, thus doesn't heat up nearly as much as when unlocked.

My gear selector, an electric toggle switch is; R-N-3-2-1.

It appears I am now back to TomC's method which I will try next time out.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »

That is a Stone/Bennett shifter and they have a 1/2 dozen different torque converters for those and some will not lock period,they still get hot just not as fast

good luck

gus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »

I didn't think the type of gear selector had anything to do with the type of TC since it is only an electric/air selector which moves the same small lever on the trans as a mechanical selector?

I thought TC operation was all internal to the trans?

Am I confused about this?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »

Just follow Tom's instructions and see if it will lock the TC is internal just depending on the model of the TC some will not lock, the guy you are talking about Kim at Global is a sharp cookie on any Allison I have watched him redo a V730 to work with a right hand series 50 before not many can do that 

good luck

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »

There was a detailed thread showing the bottom of the Allison and the tubing you need to install and the relay/hydraulic valve needed to......allow you to put the 730/740 in "locked converter" mode with the flip of a switch.  The purpose of this in that thread was to keep the converter locked at low speeds so the Jake Brake could be used while picking your way down a steep and twisty mountain road.  If you forgot to turn the switched off and stopped you stalled the engine.  That was the drawback.  If you had this feature you could put the pedal to the floor and not have the TC come out of lock.  That seems like a good feature....no? Useful going up and down hills....whu knu?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »

Thanks Guys,

I'm going to try Tom's system as soon as I'm on the road. I would really prefer to lock it in second but that appears not to be possible for some reason?

I would love to be able to lock it by a switch. I think I'll send Global an email and ask them how to do it.

I once tried to do that on my Dodge Cummins one-ton but never could figure out how to wire it.

Why is the gear sequence different for a Stone/Bennett shifter?

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
akbusguy2000

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »

Here's a link to the article mentioned:

http://home.earthlink.net/~diehls0792/HT754TorqueConverterLockup.html

tg
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 08:39:44 AM »

If I remember correctly, the V730 does not have the capability to add a manual lockup solenoid to it.  The HT series, on the other hand, does.  I have the solenoid on my HT740 I had installed in my truck since no matter what you do, it falls out of torque converter lockup at around 20mph.  I haven't used it yet since I'm still converting.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »

If any of you guys want the lock up for a 740 Doug 1968 has one he probably won't use like Tom I don't think you can lock the V730 manualy

good luck

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »

Gus,

I apologize.  I knew that the art. was on the 740 but I have heard many times that the V730 was a 740 with one less gear that I thought the mod would transfer straight across.  I am corrected.

Thank you akbusguy2000.  You know how to strike to the heart of the issue.  That is exactly the one I was remembering.  I am sure many lurkers on here did a quick "bookmark" on that link.  And Doug1968 has probably sold his excess "stuff" by now.  I love it when a plan(?) comes together. Wink

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: