Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 07:27:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: update on dina  (Read 936 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:19:32 AM »

Thanks to all of yall for the help on the overheating problem. Turns out the radiator was in bad shape. Took it out and had it cleaned good, working great now.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:34:56 AM »

THANK YOU for posting the outcome of the situation

MOST times we never get to find out the resolution

So the questions are asked guesses are made solutions are offered and there is never a final chapter written in the book

You never find out if it was the lion or the lady

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »

I had the same issue with my Dina.  It was overheating as bad or worse than yours.  Radiator had some pinhole leaks so someone used stop leak, but I didn't know that.  I sent the radiator out to be cleaned and when they rodded it out they found the stop leak.  The radiator place could have either sealed up the tubes with the holes for $500 or a new radiator core for $1700.  I went for the new core as no guarantee the old one wouldn't leak again.

I don't understand why radiators are going out on Dinas at only 10 to 12 years.  Poor quality of the original?

Getting the radiator out is a bitch.  I'm hoping I don't have to pull my radiator to fix my water pump.  It is a good 6 to 8 hour DIY job and the last two hours require two people.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:16:43 AM »

That's typically the big difference between a highway bus and a transit bus-with transits being much easier to work on.  On my V drive AMGeneral, I can get my radiator out within an hour by myself-including dismounting the air to air intercooler-by myself just using a floor jack to lower it down.  Being copper/brass, it is heavy.  New truck radiators are now all 2 row aluminum and you can pick them up by yourself.  But-there isn't anyway to repair an aluminum radiator-so when they need work-it's remove and replace.  I'll keep with my old fashioned 6 row copper/brass.  On our Western Star trucks, copper/brass radiators are still an option over the standard aluminum radiators.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 07:43:21 AM »

It takes me by myself about 45 minutes to pull the intercooler.  I did that last night.  The radiator is a whole different story.  It isn't just the radiator that has to come out.  The surge tank, radiator fan/clutch assembly, and the framework supporting the radiator have to come out too.

I'm glad Ken and Ruth were able to get radiator problems fixed, but I don't envy the money they probably paid for the work.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 07:47:57 AM »

10 or 12 years is about the life of a radiator in a bus when used every day,I replaced a Prevost that was only 5 years old road debris cut the life short in a prefect environment maybe a 20 years life span

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: