Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 02:15:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is the fuel filter on a DD 8v71  (Read 2202 times)
Stolaas

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »

Hi guys, it has been a very long time since I posted here.  After my long trip to New England without the old Admiral I haven't found the need or want to finish her up.  We she is pretty much finished, but where I left off nearly a year ago was I could find enough power to get over 45mph, and crawled up hills. 

I wanted to check the fuel filter(s) and air filter but not sure what I am doing.  I have found an ellement type drop in filter and a screw on orange filter in the spare bin from the PO.

I have attached pictures showing all the filters locations I can find in the engine compartment but don't know what is the oil or fuel filters.  I am guessing the orange is the oil filter, but right beside it is a silver filter?  Is this a fuel filter?  And where is the primary filter (if I have one) for the drop in filter ellement?

The other shocker was the oil in the air filter pan.  First time I've seen that.  How do I check it? drain out all the oil (there is a lot!) and see in the filter looks clean?

I am posting this because I have looked everywhere FIRST but couldn't find any pictures to explain where things are located. 

Stolaas

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 11:00:22 AM »

Here is one last picture

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 11:09:59 AM »

1st photo is power steering 2nd 3rd and 4 are the fuel filters 5th is engine oil I believe I got it right this time the way you guys take photos at different angles confuse the hell out of me some time that looks like a MCI setup am I right or wrong lol

good luck
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:37:36 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Stolaas

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:22:58 AM »

Thanks. So the silver AND orange are both fuel filters?

The oil filter (you say) is the on the bottom with the drain hole?

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 11:39:58 AM »

The fuel filters are the two next to the engine-one should be slightly longer then the other.  The canister oil filter is on the bottom of the engine.  There is a kit to either change it to a spin on filter, or there is another kit that will allow you to remote mount the filter in a more convenient place.  I did that with my transit since the already remote filter was positioned to be easy to change if the bus was over a pit.  I had about 6ft oil lines made and moved it to the bulkhead above the transmission (V drive) on the right side of the bus-very convenient now.  The fuel filters can be repositioned also if you want to simply have longer fuel lines made.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Stolaas

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 12:49:42 PM »

Thanks a lot.  Now I have been trying to spin off the primary for about an hour now. It's tight!  Fairly decent location if it wasn't so tight. I can't get a good body position in there though to give enough torque tospin it off.

Wow that oil filter will be no fun to change, an I will never be getting under the bus.  Will have to have that moved for sure.

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »

You have several bus nuts in your area if you need help with things.  Other reasons for poor engine performance could be a clogged air filter also.  do you have a filter minder? a small egg looking thing with colored insides. It changes colors with  the condition of your air filter. Things will get much simpler as you become familiar with them.  Good luck Bob.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »

When you change the fuel filters, be sure to fill the new ones with fuel before putting them on.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »

I can't make much sense out of the photos either but would guess the first one is the secondary fuel filter - just a guess! My 8V uses Wix  p/n 33118 for the secondary and 33120 for the primary, yours may be different.

I highly recommend you only change one at a time. Change the primary, run the engine till it runs without burping and only then do the secondary. Don't ask me how I know this!! It is easy to tell if you have removed a fuel filter by the smell of diesel. PS or AT fluid won't be anywhere near the same look or smell.

My system is to check the primary filter first and if it isn't too dirty I don't mess with the secondary. Just my way.

Pay close attention to the post about filling the filters before installing. Fill, wait while the fuel soaks into the filter and refill. Maybe do this two times, can't do it too much.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 03:56:08 PM »

Cliff as usual got it right. looks identical to my MCI.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Stolaas

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 05:41:50 PM »

Awesome reply guys!  I looked everywhere and thought what better place to ask then the bus nuts! Smiley

I will have retry at a later date because it is so tight that I bent my filter removal wrench! Lol

So there are nuts around. Me?  That's great news. Couldn't find any before when I looked.

How do change the air filter? It's the oil type

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 08:06:54 PM »

Be sure to take your finger and put a little fuel or oil on the rubber gasket on the filters when you change them so they don't catch or tear when you tighten them.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011, 08:12:57 PM »

Spend 20 bucks and buy yourself the filter pliers you can buy the pliers at any auto parts or even Wal/mart

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 08:13:41 PM »

You will just need to wash out your oil bath filter and refill it.  Start a new thread and ask for bus nuts in your area.Are you sure you don't have a dry air cleaner in a 79 Mci. My 78 Mci 8 Did but again it could have been converted over before I got it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:22:08 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
JLL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »

After spending over fifteen thousand at the local DD dealer on my 4106 for  a long block I didnt have the power I had in the old engine. I found so many things wrong with their work I was afraid to go back to them  (lose wires and cables and bolts) )  On the first trip I had to unhook my Jeep (toad) to get up some hills.  After about 5000 miles I was about 70 miles east  of Reno on I 80 when the blower bearings fell apart.  I was towed in the Sparks Nv. to Smith power and had the problem fixed.  In doing the repairs they found the governor was not set up right. After they reset the gov I had so much more power I couldn't believe it.  This is just a thought  you might have the gov checked.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: