Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:45:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone removed the oil cooler on a Detroit Series 60?  (Read 3964 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »

Has anyone removed the oil cooler on a Detroit Series 60?  It appears the gasket on my oil cooler that seals to the oil filter adapter is leaking.  I have oil all over the side of my engine, but everything above the oil cooler is clean and directly below the gasket is dirty.

My primary question is do I have to drain the oil to open up the oil cooler?  I already drained the coolant.

I've been having all kinds of fun removing stuff on the side of the engine to fix two oil leaks.  The seal on the water pump is also leaking oil.  I gave up for today as I need to go buy something like brake cleaner to clean up all the oil.  (I'm too dirty to drive my car.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 06:45:49 PM »

Anyone?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:22:30 AM »

Hi Brian.  I fired up my Series 60 manual on the computer (not at home).  They talk about pre 1991 and then later versions.

I skimmed the removal paragraphs of both and they mention draining the coolant but do not say anything about draining the oil.

I will be in and out today (family vacation) but I will have access to the manual if you want me to read anything to you or capture something in PDF format to send to you.

Jim
three zero three 478 thiry five zero one

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 06:30:59 AM »

He needs to check with DD they made a upgrade on the coolers 10 or 12 years ago wonder if his was ever upgraded ? you can buy the kit comes with the o-rings gaskets and a new thermostat but I don't know if you can get one for 11 L any longer 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:02:13 AM »

Clifford, when you mention thermostat are you talking about thermatic oil control valve?  It looks like it was used on the 11.1L 15:1 compression engines and certain 12.7L engines.  I am hoping not to remove the oil filter adapter if I can as I am sure the bolts are frozen to the block.

Jim, I have the Series 60 service manual.  It seems to leave out some stuff.  There are seven o-rings.  It talks about coating some o-rings with petroleum jelly and coating others with coolant.  The problem is it is not specific about which o-rings get which treatment.

I already have the o-rings and gasket, but they are five or six years old.  I thought the oil cooler was leaking before, but it was something else back then.  I have to go to the Detroit dealer anyhow so I'll probably replace at least the o-rings.  I'd rather not let $15 worth of parts ruin a repair that has hours of labor involved.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: