Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 11:02:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this bolt head Torx Plus? (See photo)  (Read 4231 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2011, 08:53:43 AM »

Is the bolt head in this photo Torx Plus?  I bought a set of external Torx sockets and they don't fit.

More importantly, any chances any retailer sells the external Torx Plus sockets?  I tried Sears already.  I can order online, but then I have to wait and what if I get the wrong size?

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »

Will a 12 point socket fit them?

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:57:56 AM »

Brian, I believe those are just 12 point heads.  Very common on aircraft particularly turbine engines.  Some call them high strength bolts!  I could be wrong because the world has passed Me by,LOL.  John L
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 09:32:20 AM »

Wouldn't a 12 point head have flat sides instead of curved sides between the points?  I did go out and try a few 12 point wrenches on them.  5/16" 12 point is the smallest I have and it appeared to work, but seemed slightly loose.  I don't have a 7mm metric to try.

I'm really worried about snapping the bolts off.  It seems like either the bolt could snap or the head could strip with the amount of torque required to get these loose.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »

Those are 12 point socket grade 8 bolts good luck on finding 12 points sockets I got lucky and found a set at HD their Husky brand SnapOn charges 22 bucks for one socket all the China made stuff will be 6 point fwiw.DD has plenty of those type bolts 60 series and the 2 strokes so better buy you set if you plan on working on it check you valve cover. I don't think those are 5/16 heads here is the parts number for those bolts and they are calling a 7/16 head PN 23507182

good luck
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:17:35 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »

Brian I concure with junkman. Looks like standard 12 point bolt head. PB blaster, Mouse milk, ant good penetrating oil would help that situation. As far as the wrench fit, I have seen corrosion reduce bolt heads to the point a wrench won't ever fit correctly again.

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »

I'm pretty certain they are 5/16" heads or smaller.  My 5/16" combination wrench with 12 point end fits, but it seems slightly loose.  I don't have any 12 point sockets as I have never needed them before.  I actually hate that most combination wrenches are now 12 point.  !2 point seems to make it easier to round off nuts and bolt heads.

I sprayed the bolts down with PB Blaster this evening and we'll see what happens.  I'm seriously considering having a mobile mechanic come out to remove the bolts.  A mechanic will be able to fix things if the bolts don't come out cleanly.  A mechanic isn't cheap, but a new oil cooler or oil filter adapter isn't cheap if I screw it up either.

mikke60

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »

I have those same bolts on my motorcycle and I also thought they were torx. They were however ,as stated above, 12 point sockets. good luck.
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »

They're also called Ferry screws, if anyone trying to search replacements.

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 03:57:23 AM »

Brian,

I have had problems with the socket getting a good grip on the 12 point bolt.  To max the engagement I ground of the recessed surface of the socket.  The part that allows the socket to slip on easily. That gave me enough bite to grip the bolt firmly.  You cannot strip a grade eight bolt.

I think the 12 point is stronger than a six if you have a 12 point wrench on a 12 point bolt in any grade.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 04:50:30 AM »

. . .I have had problems with the socket getting a good grip on the 12 point bolt.  To max the engagement I ground of the recessed surface of the socket.  The part that allows the socket to slip on easily. . . .

Good tip.
Also, some brands of sockets have a much sharper "corners" which give a better grip.
I have an older set of Allen brand, which give a great grip for 12-point work. Mac brand also was great for 12-point work.

Ted

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 06:31:37 AM »

I contacted a local mobile mechanic to see if they could come by and remove these bolts for me.  There answer was absolutely not unless I got the vehicle to their shop.  They have better equipment there in case they break a bolt or something.  I don't have too much of an issue with a couple hundred bucks for a mobile mechanic, but I really don't want to put everything back together and then pay them to drain the coolant and all that again.

I'm not sure what I want to do.  I really don't like the tiny heads on those bolts.  I'm afraid I could easily round off the head on one or more of the bolts.  I would much rather they were nice hex heads.  If a mobile mechanic won't do it, do I really want to tackle this myself?  I did spray down the bolts with PB Blaster last night.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 06:56:45 AM »

You get the right socket they will not round off and I never twisted or broke a bolt on 1 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 06:59:13 AM »

Brian, if the bolts are threaded into a casting before trying to loosen pound the heads firmly with a hammer.  Pounding does not mean as hard as You can swing with a 10 pound hammer!  A number of solid raps will greatly enhance the possibility of the bolts coming loose with out mishap. John L
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 07:19:37 AM »

Brian if the bolts do twist off -- which seems unlikely -- there are some welders who can remove the broken part by placing a washer and then welding a "cap" or other piece to get the bolt out.

Midwest portable farm repair welders have done some "AMAZING" things for me

HTH

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: