Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 09:45:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this bolt head Torx Plus? (See photo)  (Read 4299 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 07:20:44 AM »

Brian,
As I told you on the phone I thought they were gonna be a 12 point.\

Also I believe they will come out fine. Especially if you do as suggested and smack them on the top of the head with a  hammer.

Worst case scenario if you do round or break one just take the rest off, remove the cooler and use vise grips to get the broken one out!
BTDT;

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 08:07:08 AM »

Brian has to have ulcers the size of golf ball he always worries that the worst is going to happen to him no matter what he is doing or working on LOL depressing to me as I try if it doesn't work trying something else 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 08:15:37 AM »

Brian,You are not at risk in any way.  Smack it, grind on the socket and take it off.  Use an impact for added insurance if you can get one in there. 

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 08:32:26 AM »

I'm not a mechanic so I don't have the depth of experience you guys do.  I put a 5/16" combination wrench on the bolts and it seemed loose enough that it could strip easily. 

I have had experience with snapping off a 9/16" U bolt recently with a breaker bar.  In that case it didn't matter as I replacing the U bolt anyhow.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 08:45:52 AM »

I am surprised that no one has suggested putting some heat to it before removing.

Also I am surprised that some are saying that a 12 point socket is hard to find.  I have a cheap craftsman set that has 1/4" drive 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive 12 points in it. They are very common.
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »

go to local pawn shop.
I have purchased many a sockets for cheap  like    .25 cents

Might be worth a trip.

Lonnie

1976 4905
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »

!2 points sockets are not common anymore even at Sears 6 points are easier and cheaper to manufacture,I paid 80 bucks for a set of SK 12 points sockets only 1/4 inch drive the speed handle from Snapon for the 1/4 was over 30 bucks when it comes to tools you get what you pay for Sears stuff is ok but I wouldn't want to make living with it and the warranty has gone to pot now I have a set of the universal 3/8 drive sockets that the pins are wore out 3 stores told me to forget about it.
If want Craftman tools Fastenal has better prices than Sears they are even selling Craftman at ACE Hardware now   

good luck
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:29:10 AM by luvrbus » Logged

demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2011, 09:41:44 AM »

Im not sure why you think there not common. Theres over 2000 results for them on ebay. Most all of them are new. Heck my wifes CHINA tool set for the house has them in it.

I will agree that craftsman tools are junk tho.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2011, 10:54:53 AM »

Check it out you see most are metric sockets in 12 point the Snap On guy just left here and said Snap On 12 points are getting hard to get he checked his warehouse in Phoenix nothing except metric

good luck

Ace

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »

Nobody suggested putting heat on it probably due to the liability at hand since he already posted he had oil leaks. Next thing you know, he will follow the advice of a poster to use the heat method, then the oil starts a fire, bus burns up (or down) and poster gets sued!
Hey stranger things have happened!

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 11:03:38 AM »

Check it out you see most are metric sockets in 12 point the Snap On guy just left here and said Snap On 12 points are getting hard to get he checked his warehouse in Phoenix nothing except metric

good luck

One thing in his favor is a 8MM wrench is close enough to 5/16 that they can used as the same. Like 3/4 and 19MM

Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »

Not only is the risk of fire there on the oil leak, but IIRC the bolts go thru the housing which is several inches thick just to get to the block area where the heat really needs to be.

And I would be willing to bet that there is a better fitting socket somewhere even if it is an oddball off size or metric.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 07:18:31 AM »

good luck

Just shy of halve on ebay are standard.  My point is that its not hard to find them. Dont just check with your snap on guy and make the assumption they are hard to get because he dont have them.

demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 07:21:48 AM »

Nobody suggested putting heat on it probably due to the liability at hand since he already posted he had oil leaks. Next thing you know, he will follow the advice of a poster to use the heat method, then the oil starts a fire, bus burns up (or down) and poster gets sued!
Hey stranger things have happened!

Seriously? Getting sued over a post on a forum?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »

Do it your way Eric if want junk by junk makes no difference to me,if he has a 5/16 head on the bolt it will take a 1/4 drive 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 07:31:37 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: