Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:52:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this bolt head Torx Plus? (See photo)  (Read 4234 times)
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 07:25:25 AM »

Is the bolt head in this photo Torx Plus?  I bought a set of external Torx sockets and they don't fit.

More importantly, any chances any retailer sells the external Torx Plus sockets?  I tried Sears already.  I can order online, but then I have to wait and what if I get the wrong size?

where is the oil at in this pic? No where near where heat should be applied. Like BK said heating the housing up isnt a option but heating the bolt up will make a huge difference.  The way it sounds he hasnt even tried to take them out yet to see if they are even going to come out hard.
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »

Do it your way Eric if want junk by junk makes no difference to me

whats that suppost to mean?
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 08:40:30 AM »

FWIW I have been working on a rusty old van stripping parts for mine.  It's a VW so it has some 12 point stuff the 8 mm was a pain and didn't fit with SAE.
I went to my local guy, 5$ set me right, decent quality.
Also I had some rusty degraded heads that I could not get vice grips on, I could get a grinder in there, cut a slot for a screwdriver, the vibration and heat of the grinding seemed to break them loose, stuck a screwdriver in there and they were loose.

Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 09:01:16 AM »

I believe they will come out fine. Especially if you do as suggested and smack them on the top of the head with a  hammer.

Worst case scenario if you do round or break one just take the rest off, remove the cooler and use vise grips to get the broken one out!
BTDT;

I agree! Git er done! Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2011, 02:13:46 PM »

I'm back.  I managed to get all the bolts loose by rapping on them with a hammer and using my ratchet.  I bought a 5/16" 12 point socket on clearance for 88 cents at Lowes.  I ground the end down a little bit as suggested by JohnEd.  (Lowes is switching from USA made to Taiwan made sockets.  Can't we make anything here in the USA?)

I'm not a mechanic by trade or otherwise.  I don't know all the tips and tricks.  I've saved a lot of money doing my own work, but I have also screwed up things that cost a lot of money to fix.  One time, I had to have a vehicle towed just from doing an oil change.  I replaced the springs on a trailer a few weeks back and I managed to snap off a 9/16" U bolt.  I was replacing the U bolt, but if I can snap a 9/16" bolt I could easily snap a much smaller bolt.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2011, 02:45:04 PM »

SnapOn made the USA made tools for Lowes I understand some Lowes are still going to carry both.
 Sears is doing the same thing their tool dept is full of China made stuff now along with the American made tools if they don't sell the cheaper tools home owners just buy from Northern Tool or Harbor Freight don't blame the stores lol 

Life is short drink the good wine first
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2011, 03:34:26 PM »

hey Belfert don't sweat it we have all broken bolts once or a thousand.  The best tip I know of is
#1. always use an impact driver if you can...
#2 tip if you can't use an impact mimic the impact driver with short tugs/hits with a hammer, the idea behind the impact is it doesn't stretch the metal, it is the long hard pull that usually shears a bolt.
#3 use a quality penetrating oil (3in1 makes a very good silicone one that I have been using for awhile)
#4 be nice and as soon as you have movement work it back and forth n to help clear the threads..I sometimes have to screw things 1" back in, re apply lube then try again.
#5.  Swear a lot, real huge ones, occasionally at the top of your lungs.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 04:35:38 PM »

SnapOn made the USA made tools for Lowes I understand some Lowes are still going to carry both.

I don't know what my local Lowes is doing.  The socket section was almost completely empty with a few of the new Taiwanese sockets that have the colored bands at the base.  I found an end cap full of the old style USA made sockets on clearance and luckily found the right one.

Kobalt tools are/were made by Danaher.  This is the same company that makes Matco and Craftsman.

All my sockets and wrench are made in the USA.  I can't believe how expensive sockets, ratchets, and wrenches are getting.  Even some of the Taiwanese stuff is out of sight!

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »

All my sockets and wrench are made in the USA.  I can't believe how expensive sockets, ratchets, and wrenches are getting.  Even some of the Taiwanese stuff is out of sight!

This is the same old story, Brian.  First a "big guy" comes on the scene and undercuts the normal prices.  The smaller companies go under or start making something else.  This leaves the entire market to one guy or a smaller group that can be more easily coordinated by unscrupulous gougers and opportunists.  Remember that great lie:  "and with increased production we can pass the savings on to the consumer"(confuseder/gougeee). 

John

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
zubzub

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 09:13:22 AM »

All my sockets and wrench are made in the USA.  I can't believe how expensive sockets, ratchets, and wrenches are getting.  Even some of the Taiwanese stuff is out of sight!

This is the same old story, Brian.  First a "big guy" comes on the scene and undercuts the normal prices.  The smaller companies go under or start making something else.  This leaves the entire market to one guy or a smaller group that can be more easily coordinated by unscrupulous gougers and opportunists.  Remember that great lie:  "and with increased production we can pass the savings on to the consumer"(confuseder/gougeee).  

John

John

Yeah I 've been noticing that the  big stores are getting nasty re prices and stock.  It has been a cycle for me going back to the 70's.  When I was a kid there was just one big hardware store in town and tools were $$$$ then as the years went by competitors came along and the pries went down almost right away....then the big box stores either bought out or drove into the ground all the little hardware stores which couldn't compete with their low prices....now as there is no competition in the market place the prices are climbing up again....thanks to the internet I think it will all balance out as there are sites selling stuff at competitive prices, which should be easy to do with low  overhead and probably in most case no inventory. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 09:21:05 AM by zubzub » Logged

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 09:34:46 AM »

Brian, my Snap/On dealer would replace some of the Kobalt tools same with Lowes they would replace some Snap/On my dealer replaced a racket for me Kobalt brand, I have no idea when the other manufacture came in to play but my Kobalt tools what few I have are Snap/On

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »

I still have my Dads tools (and always will Wink),Lol! My Craftsman guy keeps after me to turn em in and get new shiny  ones ROFLMAO!! Not on your life Wink

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 11:19:29 AM »

I don't think it all has to do with big box stores.  My Craftsman tools are at most 10 years old.  Home Depot, Lowes, and the rest were all pretty well established by then.  It seems like it would cost 50% more today to replace my tools than I paid for them.

Some of the increase can be blamed on the cost of steel and other metals.  I noticed that Kobalt tools from Lowes are as expensive or more expensive then Craftsman.

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 01:18:22 PM »

Stuff should "seem" more expensive to almost all of us.  The wages of the middle class have stagnated since 1981.  You are currently earning the purchasing equivalent of what you made in 1970.  One of the big reasons you might feel you have made progress is that your spouse works.  In 1980 working Moms numbered 30% or some such number.  Today that percentage has gone to over 90%.  And still the household is earning less.

Try this on.  If you could recoup ALL you income tax.....pay zero....would you be better off than your father?  The answer for almost all is "not only no but hell no".  Soooooo, is the answer "cut the taxes" so I will be better off?  Barnum and Bailey were wrong.  You can fool most of the people most of the time and that is a majority and with that you can run a country.

Buses aren't getting cheaper because our purchasing power has gone up.  Its because this class of vehicle is so expensive to operate fewer people can even contemplate owning one.  Fewer buses are on the road.  The market is in glut.  For some of us this is fortuitous.  For others...not so much.  I can still afford one but just barely.  If my med expense goes up or we vets are called upon to give up more of our meager pensions to share the sacrifice, I will certainly be out of this loop.  I read today that the average corp exec's salary has gone up to 10.8 Million Dollars....average.  When is this gonna start trick'ln down?  I used to know and associate with bidness owners but now they circulate in circles that are beyond even my imagination.

Luvrbus commented in a thread about a newly acquired but that the price seemed good but he, Clifford, thought the prices of buses would drop a lot more in the near future.  I agree in the extreme.  That isn't the reason I am putting in a parking pad, however.

John, ever looking for the bargain.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: