Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 09:14:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real Time Help Needed - Air Brake Leak - 4106 W Spring Brakes  (Read 2147 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 09:09:22 PM »

I thought Scotch was an alcoholic drink!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 10:04:12 PM »

This is what I use to control my spring brakes. 

http://www.anythingtruck.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Category_Code=HTP-AIRB&Product_Code=060-065104

Read up on shuttle valves a bit, still don't get how they can function as a relay ...but the R12 works great to control spring brakes.

Glad to hear you are off the road....don't spend too much $ on air lines....they are usually surprisingly inexpensive.

Make sure you block the suspension as well as scotching the wheels.  Air suspended buses drop hard and fast....in case you haven't been told that a million times already.

uncle ned

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:53:46 AM »

Ken  It is hard to talk to these people from north of the Masson Dixon line. Most of them talk faster than I can hear.

Also remember the War of Northern aggression,

I am afraid we will finally lose it because they are moving down here so fast that we are just about out numbered.

so just scotch it up.

uncle Ned

all in good humor

4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear
babell2

Brice

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 09:14:43 AM »

Quote from: travlinman link=topic=20539.msg224617#msg224617 date=130914350
Anything else I should be thinking about while I am under the beast?

TM
[/quote

YES!  If you are working UNDER the bus. Block the body up! Don't get crushed! That would ruin many peoples day.

Good luck on the repair.
Brice

1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 05:13:13 PM »

From bendix:

http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=5772

Should answer some of your questions . . . . & a few you didn't even know to ask.  Grin

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 05:13:52 AM »

I'm guessing that your 4106 was not born with spring brakes, so whatever you find under there was added by someone of unknown expertise.  It would behoove you to study the Bendix manual and know for yourself exactly what you have.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
travlinman

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 06:55:29 AM »

Hey Guys - Once again thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated. Here is an update:

I was able to locate a Bendix QR-1 quick release valve, the closest replacement for what was in there. I installed the new valve, DOT fitting and air lines on Monday afternoon. All extra fittings have been removed from the system with just air lines running to the brake cans from the valve. Our spring brake system works much more smoothly now, I can now see how slow it was to apply.

The rest of the drive down to San Francisco went well with the exception of the crazy rain storm yesterday!!

TM

Steve & Kristen Full time nomads since '06 - PD4106-674  8V71/V730
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 10:19:34 AM »

Woo hoo! Way to get'er done.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: