Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 03:06:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repower expertise  (Read 4330 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2011, 11:32:22 AM »

Sean,
Been following this thread with great interest but no knowledge to add to it so I've just been lurking.

You ask what you could get for a 475HP  8V92 DDEC & 748.

Not long ago I asked the same question about my 475HP 8V92 DDEC & 754 and really got no good # to put on it.

I did ask my local DD Dealer his opinion and he said that they had recently pulled a rebuilt 8V92 out of an abandoned MC9 (abandoned for the cost of the rebuild) and sold the engine to a mining company for $2500, sold the transmission used to an individual for $500 and sold the body to a local scrap yard for $1500.
He said he hated letting go of it at those low prices but that is what he was told to do by "corporate"  who is actually who handled the sale of the engine to the mining company and he handled the rest!

I do know that Bob Glines has a local operator in Evansville who might be interested in it.
Grin  BK  Grin

PS you can call me or Bob and get Shawn's #.

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2011, 12:38:53 PM »

Hello   :   FYI    My Cummins L10 with b400R is @ 320 hp. The b400r is only rated for 300hp  the 500 is about 500 .
   My engine combo is 84.25 inches long.
   I changed the rear end to a 4.625 but yours with 500 hp should be fine in my opinnion..
    An m11 or Ism with a b500 would be longer by about 5 inches
     FWIW   regards  mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2011, 03:12:28 PM »

We have a phone call to a wrecking yard we deal with seeing if they have or know of a low mile 2007 certified ISL 425 out of a wrecked MH.  Will let you know.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 03:50:59 PM »

Sean, Measured the width on my L10. The drivers side is 18-18.5 inches off center on the turbo side, 16" or so on the other.  Not sure how wide yours is. But the turbo does hang out there.

Tom Yaegle
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »

OK, here is the latest update:

I spent most of the day working on what will or will not fit, who has one, and how much it will cost.

Bottom line, we could fit an ISL/3000MH for sure and an ISM/4000MH *maybe* with some effort.  No one has stepped forward to offer me a straight across trade Smiley so I would have to spend some cash.

The best I found was $25k for the ISM/4000 and $18k for the ISL/3000, and that's with my core.  On top of that, I would be looking at changing out starters and alternators for my 24v coach, finding a place for the CAC, and spending hours mapping out wiring harnesses to make the conversion.  By contrast, stuffing the 8V back in, as tight as it is, will cost me maybe an extra 6 hours or so over something a bit less squeaky, or, IOTW, maybe $400 at this shop.  Fixing the original problem (leaking end-plate gasket) is looking to be around $600 plus the gaskets, and we're going to rebuild the 50DN and replace the Bendix gear and brushes on the starter as a precaution.  I might throw a rebuilt compressor on there while it's out.

After looking at time and costs, we have decided to simply put the 8V92 back into the bus.  Thanks much to everyone who answered, both on and off the board; lots of good information which all fed back into our decision process.

We are going to take a separate look at the tranny, and I will start a different thread for that discussion.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 05:30:48 PM »

A word of advice Sean buy the end plate gasket from DD the aftermarket end plate gaskets will not last be sure and replace the copper washers on the bellhousing and use no silicone only the aviation sealant per DD   

good luck
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 05:51:23 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 06:52:13 PM »

Sean,
i finally got back on the board and read the posts here with interest, but couldn't figure out why you would throw away or trade out a perfectly good 8v92 that just leaked, since i just fixed mine with the same or similar issue.  I'm pleased you reached somewhat the same conclusion i did.  Makes me feel better about my fix.  i hope you are as satisfied with your decision as i am so far with mine.  Good luck to you and Louis, and safe travels. 

Please remember we are in the rockies until October if you swing this way on your way back from the disasters, and the rebuild.

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
Boomer

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 07:24:48 PM »

Good $$ decision, Sean.  Good decision to rebuild the alt. too.  I would also pull the air box covers and give your cylinder kits a careful inspection while it's out of there.

'81 Eagle 15/45
'47 GM PD3751-438
'65 Crown Atomic
Vancouver, WA USA
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »

Considering my 1980 8V-92TA in my Kenworth went 500,000 miles before in frame overhaul, Sean has a lot of life left in that engine.  Granted it is hard to find people to work on it, and there are other engines that will give better fuel mileage.  But-this kind of swap should have been done at the beginning of their full timing.  With full inspection, the 8V-92TA should last for the duration of their full timing.  Good Luck, TomC

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:37 PM »

I'm quite surprised that you are using the 4.3 rear end with a direct drive transmission.  This gives you a 2100rpm top speed of about 60mph, and a comfortable cruise of 55mph at 1911rpm.  It would be great to install a B500 at this time to take advantage of the .74 overdrive to bring your cruise speed to 1543 at 60 and 1671 at 65, etc.  Probably couldn't use sixth (.64).  Since you have an electronic engine now with ATEC, you should be able to bolt up the B500 with not much problem. Don Fairchild has this setup and pulling his big GMC pickup, he gets around 8mpg.  GoodLuck, TomC

Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 09:06:17 PM »

A word of advice Sean buy the end plate gasket from DD the aftermarket end plate gaskets will not last be sure and replace the copper washers on the bellhousing and use no silicone only the aviation sealant per DD   

Thanks, Clifford.  I am really leaving this part of the project to the very capable Joel here at Choo-Choo Express.  This is not his first rodeo and I think he's done more end plate gaskets than he can probably remember.  But I will try to find an appropriate way to make these suggestions.  So far I am impressed with his skill, knowledge, and thoroughness.

I was pretty involved in helping get the darned thing out, because the weirdness of my bus makes for a lot of head scratching.  But now that the motor is on a stand in their shop, it's really their home turf, and I am trying to stay out of their hair.  You know the old saying about shop rates, where the rate goes up if you watch, and it goes up more if you help.  In the meantime I have been busying myself by working on the generator; we had to take it out to get to the last three cradle bolts, and as long as it is out I'm working on the hard-to-reach stuff on the back side.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 11:26:12 PM »

Sean,

What MPG did the 8V92 give you?  What do you think a Cummins ISL/M would do for MPG?

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: