Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 08:05:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Starter issues resolved  (Read 2190 times)
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »

I hope this helps others and I wouldn't post it other than to help others. But regardless I have had issues with my MCI for awhile. I posted here for some ideas as I was growing weary of the problem with the starter clunking and not seeming to engage constantly. In and out, in and out. Luckily the ole girl fires up easily but it is an issue I needed to address. Many of the posts trying to help were basically things I had already checked out, cables, switches and such. As our good friend Bob Glines would say.... KISS. I am a firm believer in that but get caught from time to time thinking otherwise. But I finally found my problem after so many issues that helped  but then it would return. Rebuilt starter and everything was fine..... for awhile. New batteries (which I did need as one was bad) everything was fine.... for awhile. I was getting upset as batteries and a starter are not cheap and each helped the situation .... for awhile. I  put a remote start button on the solenoid and it would sing. It is not a problem with voltage, rear and front start have both the same results, starter engaging in and out. It fires up so quickly that I have been living with it but after putting new window awnings on this weekend I have been beatin myself to death for not dealing with issues that may be more important. I'm down to searching for a starter relay when it hits me. The fuel pressure switch that shuts down the starter or allows for bypassing the shutdown features. Could it be? That was one of the first problems I had when I bought the bus as it was leaking fuel. I ordered a new one from Luke but as seems to be the case anymore it was no longer available but a newer better one was! The old one had 2 wires going to it, one to ground, one to the shutoff bypass/ engage starter feature. The newer version has 1 wire and relies on a ground through the fuel filter set up. Could it be that simple? As with any of us I don't like leaks and when installing the new 1 wire version I used thread tape. For some reason it decided to rear it's ugly head. If it had happened right away I would have known. So alas I am looking back at the costs I spent for that newer version switch and just am happy that I now officially have the best MCI starting system on this board!! Such is life. Hope that helps someone down the road..... Anyone know the part number for the 2 wire switch? I'm wanting one!! Angry Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »

Scott  your not the first the tape has messed up by interupting electrical contact.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 06:56:17 PM »

Dad gummed thread tape! Shoot you ain't the only victom that ever had a sensor or switch not work correctly after being installed with it!

I once made a poor parts guys life such hell making him replace temp gauges left & right until he absolutely refused to serve me and would go hide in the back until I left. Then the owner of the store one day noticed the one I was returning had thread tape but the new one didn't ! Yeah go figure, boy did I eat crow for a long time over that one!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 07:03:01 PM »

Wow! Thread tape...just when you think you've seen it all. Never would have thought of that one! Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll add that to my list of stuff not to use. Smiley
Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 07:13:51 PM »

I feel pretty stupid about the deal but hopefully my ignorance will save someone else. But I sure am a happy camper that I finally found the problem!! So it's not so bad....

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »

Not really you were being over cautious.  might be one of the no -no's we need to mention about every 6 months to help everyone remember.   Now if you do it again.  plan on getting head slapped!!!!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:26:29 PM »

I feel pretty stupid about the deal but hopefully my ignorance will save someone else. But I sure am a happy camper that I finally found the problem!! So it's not so bad....

You feel bad/dumb? How do ya think I felt making that one poor counter guy exchange 6 of them and then his boss replaced 2 more before we all figured out it was me not the gauges?
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 09:50:45 AM »

Thread tape is bad news in many ways, it sure likes to clog really fine holes.

I just don't use it anymore even on house plumbing, sealing compound is better and won't insulate grounds.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
rcbeam

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »

Scott:  My MC8 is missing the fuel pressure switch that you have and I recently called MCI and ordered one.  What they sent me was a two wire switch.  I will look at my paperwork tomorrow when I get to work and see if I can get the part number for you. 

Russell

Russell
1976 MC8
Lexington KY
www.sweeteveningbreeze.blogspot.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 04:25:22 PM »

Why do you MCI guys need a fuel pressure switch they never made much sense to me so I removed those from my 5 and 8 less to worry with 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 04:39:11 PM »

It sure comes in handy Cliff if the ole girl wants to shutdown because she got hot and it's not a good place to pull over. I just grounded it out and eliminated it at first but decided it's a feature I like to have. Remember I have a 72 MCI with an Allison and with all the work I have done to make it cool better including a tranny cooler and such it still has it's moments. Why eliminate a safety feature?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »

That's what I am talking about Scott why override a safety shutdown system ? and why the fuel system older Eagles had a override it just bypassed the shutdown was very simple

good luck
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 05:11:43 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Slow Rider
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »

Scott thank you for posting this.  I am sure somewhere down the line it will save someone a head full of hair.   This is what makes bus nuts great, their willingness to help others.

Frank

The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »

I'm with Clifford. All it does is remove the starter solenoid from the circuit, so the driver can't engage the starter while the engine has fuel pressure.
That's for the "Warm Bodies" behind the wheel that are hired by bus and truck companies to operate expensive equipment.

That switch won't shut down an engine unless there is fuel pressure. It's not a shut down for overheat, runaway, low oil pressure or stuck starter solenoid.

The only safety feature it provides is to guard against a stupid operator.

It sure comes in handy Cliff if the ole girl wants to shutdown because she got hot and it's not a good place to pull over. I just grounded it out and eliminated it at first but decided it's a feature I like to have. Remember I have a 72 MCI with an Allison and with all the work I have done to make it cool better including a tranny cooler and such it still has it's moments. Why eliminate a safety feature?

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
blank

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 08:20:17 PM »

I'm with Clifford. All it does is remove the starter solenoid from the circuit, so the driver can't engage the starter while the engine has fuel pressure.

The only safety feature it provides is to guard against a stupid operator.

Please explain? What would disabling the starter accomplish if it still has fuel pressure, and why would you not want it to start while it has fuel pressure?? I am trying to understand the problem this is trying to solve.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: