Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 01:14:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technomadia Update - 4106 Adventures at the Tire Shop  (Read 3305 times)
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2011, 07:23:57 AM »

Chris, our 4106 has a leak at the top of the pump. There is a bore which has a spring and disc like plug. It is sealed with an o-ring and a retainer clip holds the whole business in the bore. I think that the o-ring has hardened and needs to be replaced.

I think you've nailed it exactly. Any tips on replacing this o-ring?

How quickly did your leak go through your power steering fluid?

- Chris

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »

Learning how to turn a 90 degree corner with out curbing your tires is important, especially since you are getting new tires. You don't want to damage your sidewalls.  Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
TedsBUSted

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2011, 07:40:26 AM »

Shoot, I thought that the slight tip from running over a fire hydrant every so often would help to keep the hubs flooded with oil.

Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially Ď04 or Ď06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »

GAH!  Morning not off to a pleasant start.

Got back to the shop, to learn the mechanic proceeded with the oil change yesterday after we left - and put 15w40 in.  They now have what is hopefully the proper 40w stuff inbound to switch out.

Then our overnight shipment from US Coach arrived, and the stud is too big. No clue yet if what we have on the bus was changed out at some point and no longer stock, or if we were shipped the wrong thing, or what.

And to top the frustration off - the power cord they ran us overnight wasn't enough to keep the fridge going. So now the beer is warm.

Ok...  Just venting. We are sure thus is all normal stuff for y'all.

We just want to get on the road and drive 200 miles north to luvrbus and have someone knowledgable!

-Cherie

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »

Whew. Turns out the shop's machinist just hadn't had enough coffee yet, and the stud is correct after all.

Hopefully, the worst of the morning will be warm beer.

- Cherie

eagle19952

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 09:33:53 AM »

The real question is - which skills do we need to have mastered before we leave Yuma, and which ones we need to learn before we leave the tire shop...  

Hopefully we can phase in the lessons of bus ownership over a bit longer period of time, but I know that sometimes the bus might have other ideas...  *grin*

- Chris
[/quote]

You mat not learn this today BUT IF they did not BACK the brake adjusters OFF when the hubs were removed then they were not properly adjusted.
I have found that adjusting them initialy "approximately" will facilitate the install of the hubs AND protect the hub seal integrety....and investment.
The shoes become an alighnment guide.....
bE SURE THAT ALL BRAKES ARE ADJ> PROPERLY<.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2011, 09:50:04 AM »

Chris: welcome to the world of grease and grime/ Busted Knuckles---Little different than ---the unseen tech world isn't it?  I can understand it better than your world.  Your world scares the----   Enough said  Enjoy your new coach sounds like your in good hands. Back to basics.  Your headed to a good place to get a solid education. These coaches are simple systems but must be maintained correctly. Your coach is pre high tech so is a blessing in a way.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2011, 09:56:05 AM »

It's going to be exciting and a real thrill to get on the road. I have to remind myself every time I drive the bus to remember to watch the sides as I turn. This advice is good for the old timers, and especially those who are just starting to get some miles under their belts. Taking out vintage bay doors sucks beyond words.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »

It's going to be exciting and a real thrill to get on the road.

Indeed it sure was a thrill to pull out of the tire shop and to head down the road (minus the non-thrilling stop for fuel) for a proper test drive on new wheels and rubber.

The bus is a BLAST to drive. She still pulls to the right a little, but she accelerates great, brakes great, and rides great.  (I don't have much to compare it to, but....)  Despite the 110 degree Arizona sun outside, the engine temperature held steady just below 190 degrees.  Air pressure was between 100-120psi.  Oil pressure around 40 psi.  Fluids are all topped off and ready.

Assuming all goes well, we'll probably head out for Havasu just before dawn tomorrow.  *grin*

- Chris

zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2011, 02:11:36 PM »

Glad you are having fun, with new rubber no less. It is an old bus though so. You do have a IR gun right?

technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »

You do have a IR gun right?

I'd love to get one ASAP.

I tried to buy one at an auto parts store today, but they had no idea what I was looking for.

Any ideas where I might be able to find one in Yuma, AZ?

- Chris

Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 03:20:06 PM »

Chris,

I bought an IR thermometer from Home Depot and it serves my purposes well.  Less than $30.00.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware/h_d1/N-5yc1vZarnk/R-100674438/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Brian

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
Handyjim

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »

Find a Harbor Freight and Tool Store.   www.harborfreight.com

Usually very good prices.  Lots of things that are good for one time use, but their IR thermos are good (and inexpensive).

JCorey
Looking, looking, looking
Toward a Conversion
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 04:27:31 PM »

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/THDStoreFinder?storeId=10051&URL=StoreFinderViewDetails&errorViewName=StoreFinderView&headerStoreFinder=&List=List&catalogId=10053&zip=&distance_1=50&city=yuma&state_1=AZ&distance_2=50&store=

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
technomadia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »

Cherie is out running errands right now, and will be stopping at Home Depot.  :-)

- Chris

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: