Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 04:34:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pulley RPM MC8  (Read 2261 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »

Speaking of the stock alternator pulley diameters on the MC-5 engine, the drive pulley is 7" diameter and the driven pulley is 3.5" diameter.  This is the stock cam position accessory drive and the pulleys are for four 1/2" belts.  The 7" is as big as you can get without having to clearance the bellhousing, there is just enough clearance to install the belts.  This is for the 50DN, which charges just fine at idle.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 06:24:56 AM »

Brian, where are measuring the pulley at I went through all my group numbers and cannot find a 7 inch drive for a 8v71 they list 3 sizes for for the standard cam drive on the right bank and each one has a different drive coupling one drive takes a different cam and cam gear and 1 size for blower drive

good luck
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:31:20 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 07:09:13 AM »

I am just measuring the OD of the pulley, so not where the belt rides or anything tricky like that.  They are MCI parts, I believe.  The part number for the engine pulley is 7F-3-50 and the part number for the alternator pulley assembly is 7F-3-53, which includes the unobtainable splined inner hub.  They are grooved for four belts.  The engine pulley fits on the shaft of the accessory drive, which I think is a standard Detroit part, and has a special tapered sleeve/bushing that fits over the shaft and locks onto the key in the shaft.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 07:33:59 AM »

You have to run the engine enough rpm to turn the alternator fast enough to exicte it to make it charge. If the alternator is a one wire type it won't charge until it gets turning fast enough. If you start it and never get above idle it's not going to. Rev it up and then let it idle. I have a 24 volt and a 12 volt alternator on my rig and they both act the same. They just need some rpm's to excite them and then they work great.

In my 54 years of dinking with car and light truck stuff I have never heard anything like that.  Old generators needing to be phased are excluded from that statement.  Not for a moment arguing with you, Scott.  Rather, making the point that this a point of education and also my having led a sheltered life in many ways, I guess.   Thanks for that information.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »

We installed a "one wire" 24 volt air cooled alternator on our MC-8 (8V71) running of a accessory pulley that was installed where the OEM gear drive alternator had been.  We noticed it would not charge until we revved the engine up a little. Once that was done it would continue charging, even at idle.  The alternator also had an additional terminal that could be connected to the ignition switch (powered only when the ignition switch was on). When we connected that wire, the alternator would start charging immediately, even at idle.
   I was told by a person at the alternator rebuilding shop that the alternator has to spin at a certain RPM (I forget that number) in order to self excite or it can be excited by connecting the other wire to the ignition.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 09:56:31 AM »

He has the standard pulley that worked with the 50D so it should work

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »

know for a fact that on by VW Van bosch alts untill I kick it up the alt is not charging (round 1,200) had 2 alts in the van both behaved the same way.    Actually managed to kill the bat and stall the engine one fine winter morning when I started the van, turned all the fans on full, then went back in to have breakfast while the van warmed up......was warm but dead (fresh kill?) when I went back out

bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 02:05:45 PM »

John Ed. , Self exciting(one wire) altenators are very common on farm tractors. Have to rev up engine then will charge at idle. Hope this will help.

Big John

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »

John Ed. , Self exciting(one wire) altenators are very common on farm tractors. Have to rev up engine then will charge at idle. Hope this will help.

Big John

Hey Bro. How are you?  Good to hear from you.

I ain't arguing for an instant.  Lots of stuff I have never heard of and lots more I am starting to notice I have forgotten LOL

Be well, thanks for the info,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
rcbeam

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 05:41:20 PM »

According to the specs on the alternator, it's cut-in speed is 1400 rpm.  With the pulleys I have not, I would have to bump the idle up to 850 or 875 to have the alternator charge.  If my high idle worked right that would be fine for while parked and at startup, etc.  I guess with 2 new 8D batteries, and no coach heat/air, I might not have to worry too much about not charging at idle speeds. 

Russell
1976 MC8
Lexington KY
www.sweeteveningbreeze.blogspot.com
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 05:54:53 PM »

Without all the coach electrical stuff you'll be fine as you already stated. Just try and rev it up until it starts charging and then let it return to normal idle. It still should keep charging. It just needs that higher rpm to get it going.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: