Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
November 22, 2017, 02:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: r12 to 134 conversion  (Read 4272 times)
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »

****** Niles, 3 Cruiseairs in front under driver area. They say any ac guy can charge these (r22 freon) but so far the ones I've talked to runs away fast. One in West Texas said he didn't work on Buses or Space Shuttles. Now that's funny right there

Yup - the R22 should be no problem - It's just when they see that Prevost they don't want to guarantee a 20 year old unit(s) will hold the charge - You should be able to put the word out and find some one who will pull the vacuum and recharge it for a reasonable amount if you promise not to cuss them if one or all of the units are NG - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2011, 02:19:09 PM »

The Cruisair manual is here - it shows the pressures you need for proper operation.  Do you have a set of A/C gauges?

http://dometic.com/FileOrganizer/1-international/marine/cruisair/Manuals%20and%20Translated%20Literature/Cruisair%20Manuals/Air%20Conditioning%20-%20Direct%20Expansion%20Systems/L-0261-Air-Cooled-Install-and-Operation.pdf

Cruisairs don't like to be overcharged - when they are properly charged they will still have bubbles in the sight glass.  They are overcharged when the bubbles disappear.

Steve
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »

Thanks folks for the info. I found my little NAPA store in La Grange Tx. has the Freeze 12 for $295 for a 35lb. bottle . That's where I'm going at first. Just try a recharge. The bus has been stored in a climate controlled barn it's whole life. That might help me on the age of coach. I understand about the RV guys. I just got rid of a 2006 Alfa Fifthwheel that they couldn't get nothing right. If I can figure how to post pics, I'll give you a look. I'm about as smart on computers as I am on buses. Thanks again.

Glen S.
stevet903

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 04:16:08 PM »

Here's some light reading on the Prevost side of the system - it's for R134, but the process is the same....

http://prevostparts.volvo.com/technicalpublications/pdf/pa1082-22.pdf

Steve
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 04:19:29 PM »

Glen,
If it were me the first thing I would do is draw a vacuum on the system and watch it for 1/2 day and see if it holds. This will give you an idea of how the seals & hoses are holding up.
If it holds a decent vacuum for 3-4 hrs then I'd charge.
If not then charge it with an inert gas (I forget the most common used for this as I haven't had to do it for 6-7 yrs), then with it charged with the inert gas it should be easy to go around using a "leak detector" sniffing for leaks.

Once the leaks are found & repaired redraw the vacuum and recharge it with the freeze 12.

That is just the way I'd do it. But keep in mind I'm just a self taught hillbilly cheapskate and prefer to do things once and get it done right the first time and not spend big $ paying to have it done and then having to keep returning it because the person that did it the first time was learning too!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »

Thanks guys.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: