Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 19, 2014, 12:08:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutting Aluminum skin  (Read 2341 times)
Tikvah

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »

I have the bus skinned, now I need to cut out the window openings.
I've tried my sawsall.  With a fine metal blade it is painfully slow.  With a more aggressive all-metal blade it's beating me to death and tearing up the blades.

I've thought of the grinder (that's how I started the hole), but I'm afraid of making too much heat..... I don't know, maybe the side-grinder with a thin blade.

I'm open to ideas.

The Aluminum is .080  6061-T6

Too thick for my air nibbler and too thick for my air sheers.

Dave

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »

I use plain old wood blades for aluminium.  Yes, they do beat you up a bit.  High speed, low feed.  Don't push on the tool.  wear ear protection, it will be loud...  Grinders are not recommended for cutting aluminium, you can seriously load the disc up and it can explode.  i have scars to prove this old wives tale - five stitches!

Brian
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 04:01:15 PM by bevans6 » Logged

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 04:15:51 PM »

Use a die grinder or any high speed grinder with cloth resin reinforced wheels.  They will not load up but if they do just run them against a piece of brick or concrete block to clean the accumulated aluminum off.  move slow and it will cut fine!  Heat should not be a problem on aluminum but could be a problem on stainless You intend to polish!  John L
Tikvah

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »

Well, I got one window cut open.... Maybe I'm getting old  Wink  I feel like I got kicked by a horse.

It didn't do too bad grinding the rough edges off, but I'll need to buy some thin wheels to try cutting with the grinder. 

I'll let the group know what I decide to do.

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
buddydawg

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:01:13 PM »

I've done most of my cutting with a jig saw and a wood blade.  I usually start the cut with a thin grinding wheel, once it cuts thru I finish with the jig saw.  It cuts nice and easy. Debur and finished.

1972 GMC T6H-5308A #024

Brandon Stewart - Martinez, GA
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »

Try some thin cutoff wheels on your small hand grinder (4 1/2"). They generally wear out pretty fast so they won't have a problem with loading up. Practice on a piece of scrap with any option you choose. I didn't need to tell you that but you know how it is around here sometimes.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 05:50:15 PM »

I'd use a plasma cutter. It'll cut like a hot knife thru butter and go so fast that the aluminum won't even get hot... that's how I did my trailer and it was amazing...

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »

In general wood-working equipment works on aluminum. Ideally slow the equipment down if you have variable speed ability (jigsaws, routers) or by using smaller diameter blades on circular saws. Feed it slower than wood. Lubricants will help if you don't mind the mess. Any kickbacks will be more violent than with wood, so pay attention to safety, and keep people well clear of the kickback zone.
Hal

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 06:30:23 PM »

I used .080 also and used a router with lots of WD40 to lube the cutter. Keep it slow with a good grip on things. Its a two person job for sure, one spraying, the other cutting. Be safe, Hal
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 07:42:48 PM »

I would line the al. with masking tape (to avoid scratching the surface) and then use a skill saw to cut the straight lines.. You can get a blade for al. but you could also use a regular carbide tipped blade.  Then cut the corners with a jig saw. I cut al. a lot with a table saw and a miter saw and use regular wood cutting blades.
No need for messy lubricant. Wear good ear protection.

Fred
skihor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 07:58:14 PM »

They make a blade for a skil saw that is just for cutting aluminum. I bought one from a metals dealer when I did the diamond plate in my trailer. Many yards of cutting and still sharp. EAR PROTECTION required.

Don & Sheila
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »

IF I remember right we turned a wood blade around on our circular saw to cut alluminum when I used to do construction.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 08:37:20 PM »

How about a Dual Saw as seen on tv? Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:55:39 PM »

For cutting aluminum I use the cheapo throw-away Russian-made cutting wheels from Harbor Fright  -  at less than 50 cents each it doesn't matter that they only last for a few feet or so.   Expensive USA-made wheels don't last any longer cutting aluminum, but I do use them for cutting ferrous metals instead of HF's wheels.   So far I've cut out three openings for extra access doors, with a fourth to be done soon, and it's easy to make straight cuts with an angle grinder.

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 04:23:06 AM »

I've never tried it on aluminum it I'm a fan of the Roto-Zip spiral saws and they claim to have metal blades available.  If it worked, it would give you a nice smooth cut right up against the window frame.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: