Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 07:21:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow Fired first mini-split  (Read 4393 times)
rcbeam

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 06:05:28 PM »

Bob, congratulations on your mini-split success.  Hope to see pics if you can post some for all of us.  Good to talk to you the other day and I appreciate you help on the fuel prime issue. 

Russell
1976 MC8
Lexington KY
www.sweeteveningbreeze.blogspot.com
LarryN 4106

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »

Started first mini-split in 45xle today. very impressive. With the help of Mci8-tintent. The 12,000btu unit dropped the coach from 95 to low 70's in less than 90 minutes. I have two more units 9,000 btu each to use as zone support. I have had them for some time but have not had time to do final pump down and fire up until today. Pleasant surprise and reinforcement of decision I made to go this course.  The way they start and ramp up to speed is a little differant.  Thanks to all who helped with personal experience and info.

I want to share some experiences I have had specifying these types of units in buildings. Please note that these units, whether Sanyo, Mitsubishi, Carrier....do NOT tolerate voltage fluctuations very well. We use these in health care facilities. When the city power go's out, the gensets kick in. Then when the power comes back on, the genset goes offline. Then, when the power go's out again....so does the mini. It will take itself offline until the power situation "makes up it's mind".
blank

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 12:46:55 AM »

My understanding is these Sanyo, Mitsu, etc., minsplits use 12 volt DC compressors off inverters?? Would there be a way to by-pass the inverter and run them directly off a battery bank??
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2011, 04:58:37 AM »

Larry, can you clarify what "takes itself off-line" means?  5 minute wait to auto reset, hard reset by a technician, buy  a new control board...

thanks, Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »

Bob, I need to know what brand you are using we have sent PM's to Sanyo and other as we were thinking using the ceiling mount evaporators all are telling us neither evaporator or the unit can be used in anything mobile but they won't tell us why except warranty issues ? he gave to much money for these units to forget about it and they won't let him return the units

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:01 AM »

You need to talk to Nick.  It's one of those legal deals.  I can only tell you I'm not qualified to give a expert opinion on anything.  You can't walk and chew gum at same time because you might trip and break your arm.Whose liable?? Any thing I do should only be laugh at and is only for entertainment purpose Grin. How hard does your bus ride down the road? Do you Baja Race it? It is 4-wheel drive(off road)?  lots of variable here.   My home made units from window units from lowes are on their 9th year. and about 100,000 miles.  Sorry for the smart answer but I didn't really expect a warranty or actually expect to need one once they were up and running. Now if they never Started up in first place I would have expected them made good. These thing are so simple.   In My Uneducated opinion they are including our coaches in a class with Sticks and staples and semi trucks and cars who do not have the stable ride that we enjoy. More twisting and viberating. If I'm wrong I just have a $1,500. minus scrap oops ! Sure hope this Prevost rides better than that!!   My Mci and 89 Prevost didn't destroy the home window air conditioners I used to make my own units out of before I found out about the mini-split.   Again sorry for the long post. Just seems like someone is always trying to find away to not stand behind their workmanship.  
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:40:34 AM by robertglines1 » Logged

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 09:46:40 AM »

Does this mean you are not going to tell me the brand name LOl

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 10:00:21 AM »

Soleus      Didn't mean to omit.  I got a lot deal on 2 ea 9 and a 12  heat and cool for 1450 with shipping last year. so didn't shop brand they were   13 seer   Not the best but this was a experiment and looked better than any other alternative. After the experience with building my own and the reward with efficiency; this is much better. this morning was 84 at 7 am and hum was out of site, went up with one 9 running was 70 in bus . Heat index today 110 with temp only 95.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:28:09 PM by robertglines1 » Logged

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2011, 10:08:56 AM »

I did get a reply from Friedrich Bob per the customer relations " Due to the high operating pressure of the unit we do sell or recommend our units in a  mobile environment and a bunch more garbage along with it which thought was a pretty lame excuse also 

good luck
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:53:58 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2011, 10:17:33 AM »

My home made units from window units from Lowes are on their 9th year. and about 100,000 miles.  

Robert:

How about some pictures of your install with these house window units?

Here in Mexico, I can get (new, with warranties):

--Window units from $120 up to $300 U.S.
--Mini-Splits from $350 to $550 U.S., plus about $180 parts/labor for install
--Camper rooftop units (13,500 btu) for $895 U.S.

First two options would leave my roof line clean.

Could I install the compressor side of a mini-split in the rear engine compartment section (shielded from engine)  where the OTR air compressor used to be? This compartment also contains the engine fan.

How come none of you mini-split installers are willing to post pictures? I promise cross my heart that I won't sue you!!

I am looking at all options, and am not loaded with money just yet.

Grin  Shocked  Tongue

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »

Here is some info from one of Bobs past posts on his window units....HTH...Tim

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=15933.0

Cawston, British Columbia
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 02:52:43 PM »

I suspect one of the reasons manufacturers won't warranty these in mobile applications is vibration with all the copper lines.  A car uses mostly flexible hoses.  Rooftops do have copper lines, but they are designed for mobile use.

If I had room for the condenser I would probably install a mini split.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2011, 04:18:27 PM »

ok.... whats a mini split? perhaps the heat has melted my brain today and Im not seeing the obvious...

And I am curious what was done with the window units in your previous conversion Bob?

...........wow its stupid hot out btw.....
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2011, 04:39:01 PM »

Mini- split  is much like a home unit with condensor mounted outside ans evaporator inside. heat and ac in one unit. I used window units years ago and ducted them into bus from  bay had built cold air return etc.  yes it is stupid hot !  Go to E-bay and type in Mini-split ac.   Bob

demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »

^^^thanks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: