Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 04:24:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wow! The alley-way under-floor collects truckloads of dirt!  (Read 767 times)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »

Since our bus is a young 30 years old, and the plywood on the floor has a lot of bad spots, we decided to pull up the floor. I was really surprised how much dirt was underneath! I bet removing this dirt will increase my fuel economy about 50%! So, is there a way to keep this from happening again? I would hate to have to do this job again in 30 years, when I will be a very young 84!!

Grin

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »

Steve, on most buses and most likely yours as well, that space is a return air plenum for the otr heat/ac. 30 years of sucking dirty air through there. some is bound to get left behind.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Mex-Busnut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »

Thanks, brother Thomas! So I need to figure out where the air intake begins.

We might come over your way, after dropping off our daughter at Youth With a Mission, in Wisconsin.

Be blessed, man of God!

Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »

I doubt you are going to drag the junk into the coach that the passengers did, and you won't be sweeping the dirt into the air returns while they are running like the bus cleaners did.

Vacuum it all up, consider VERY strongly a wash with your favorite soap and disinfectant and a flushing with the hose to finish.

Do not move to the hose too quickly, vacuum and scrape and keep picking in the corners. Every bit of crap you leave behind will get stuck somewhere in the flushing attempt and start the smelly cycle all over.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:25:27 PM »

remember that ramp you pulled up out of the floor?  the air intake was through a grill or mesh on both sides of that ramp.

we are a far cry from Wisconsin, In Idaho right now. we have been shut down for about a month (ministry wise that is...been working my tail off on buses and other items though). we will be starting our circuit again in about a month, taking us through southern Idaho, nevada, cali, and finally to Az by fall.

God Bless you and yours!

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: