Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 04:35:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Zip Dee Awning  (Read 5762 times)
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 02:41:32 PM »

Thank you! Thats what I've been trying to tell these guys say it can be done. When end if I get around to removing it, I too will take it down to my buddies machine shop and let him do his thing!
Your definitely not going  to do it on or off the coach without taking it completely apart .

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »

Ace,I don't take the awning off I just remove the tube from the fabric I remove tension then the the arms set the tube on saw horses mark the fabric and tube on both ends for alignment drill the rivets holding the fabric to the roller slide it out of the fabric use the marks and a ice pick to align it back so I go back in the same drilled hole for the removed rivets put it back together set the tension ready to party .

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
BUR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 05:58:01 PM »

Randy at Zip Dee called this morning with a couple of questions about my order. I asked him about the NX hardware and what he would recommend, he said he was short and it was a lot easier for him to put the awning up and down. On a new installation, the NX is a little cheaper than the original hardware.           Good Busin'     Wilbur

1980 Prevost   8V71TA  6 speed stick
Homebase   Kelso, Washington
Coming to a city near you      "Fulltiming"
Winter months   Yuma AZ
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »

About all the NX amounts too is they hook to the roller and not the arms I have flipped those for years and use the head knocker rails so you don't have the arms in your way

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 07:13:05 PM »

Maybe it's a regional thing but the majority of all the awnings I see around here are Carefree. I have a 24' Fiesta and I can put it up or down in  a heartbeat. I have no center support other than a clip that holds it in the center when it's rolled up. That does require a ladder which I carry along. When it's out it has a bit of a bow but nothing that causes any problems. Just natural for that distance. She's been through some pretty good wind storms before I got it rolled up and a lot of rain. I've seen a lot of awnings damaged over the years and generally they are owner/operater induced no matter the brand. I've recently installed two 8' and one 11' window awnings by Carefree and they are pretty slick. I have a 21' Mirage that I'm replacing the Fiesta with when time allows. I saw a lot of them on some higher end units and talking to the folks they seemed very happy with them. Still nothing against my Fiesta awning. I just wanted something without the lower arms that I could cover the entry door with also and something the wife could handle if need be. 

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 11:22:51 PM »

As for pouting the hump of the bend up? Been there end tried that. No go! And if you think the center tube is soft aluminum, think again! I think its more on the lines of galvanized steel that is springy! We had ladders under it and TWO growth men pulled down on it and only thing that did was give us both a good bounce up and down.

Yours is a different material.  Mine is aluminum and it sure isn't tempered.  My tube is thick walled and while it doesn't weigh a ton it isn't negligible.  I am certain that I could bend the thing either into a bow or straightened.  Certain.  I have already done it with those support arms.  I think you have given another reason to go with A&E.

Clifford, Im not pissed at zip-dee in general but you do get a little irritated when you call then and end up talking to a moron. Heck when I first got it, I called them, and the guy said I couldn't put one of their awnings on a seated coach end said when I was done to send them some pics. I told them Bil Phelan already had put one on his and they almost said it was impossible!
Go figure!

Well, I for one think you have every reason to be ticked off at those folks.  not that that does any good whatsoever.  Still!  I would still be livid at the moron that told me they included wood screws in my kit because they ran out of inventory for the correct sheet metal items.  REASLLY?

John
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 12:03:03 AM by JohnEd » Logged

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2011, 11:26:20 PM »

Thank you! Thats what I've been trying to tell these guys say it can be done. When end if I get around to removing it, I too will take it down to my buddies machine shop and let him do his thing!
Your definitely not going  to do it on or off the coach without taking it completely apart .

Ace,

I think we have put our collective "fanger" on the problem.  Your awning, and Cliffords, are made from different stuff than A&E.  Apples and oranges here.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2011, 11:59:17 PM »

What is the difference between A&E and Carefree John ? Ace maybe p***** at Zip/Dee but I bet he would have a hard time trading his Zip/Dee for the A&E or Carefree I know I wouldn't you can be setting in the shade with a Zip/Dee while still trying to get the first leg down on A&E or Carefree.  
Those upright arms going to the power heads on Zip/Dee are a 1in square solid Stainless Steel bar they are not a cheap built or under engineered awnings they are not cheap in price either lol   

good luck

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-awnings/awning-rafters-optima.htm

This is the A&E item that I have had since 90 and it was years old then.  The center support can
be adjusted for more or less support tension.  I strongly endorse this product and the A&E
awning.  It has operated correctly and with ease in every regard.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-awnings/awning-rafters.htm

This is the Carefree “Rafter Tensioner”.  It says it is a “universal” design so it is compatible with
the ZipDee and A&E.  The spec says it is made from cast components or some such and i think
that would make it a little less rugged than the A&E similar item.  It seems to have all the
functions as the A&E but the center support for the stowed awning is much different.  The
CareFree item doesn’t seem to give full under-support and is engaged by the rolled awning
pressing against it.  The center support is also a additional charge and sold seperately from the
“Rafter”.

The A&E costs $146 and the Carefree cost $109 without the center support which I feel is a must
have feature.  I guess the costs should be similar.

Be certain that I am not saying that I feel any of these products is not suitable or am being
critical.  They have different features of manufacturer and materials that influence my
opinion/recommendation but that is why we have horse races.

Clifford,
 This is the second time I have drafted a response.  The first disappeared and I suspect that it timed out or something due to my being interrupted by running some errands.  I did answer you promptly, or tried to do so.

John

—Pla
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 05:11:19 AM »

Jack, I'm not ashamed to say publicly that the awning got a bend that was acquired during installation. $#!% happens, but even after TRYING to straighten it by the book, it ended up worse.
Like I said its a conversation piece now and I dont mind telling people my experience/s with zip-dee ange you know it!

Ace,
   I had forgot that you had told me about your problems with ZipDee. I was just wanting everyone to know what the problem was, so they could make a more informed decision when comtemplating an awning purchase.  Jack

PS: I think it is almost as hot up here in NC as FL, but humidity might be a little lower. At least the river water is cool. 

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: