Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 23, 2014, 10:29:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many watts does a typical 13,000 BTU A/C draw?  (Read 13093 times)
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 06:47:18 AM »

If the need and goal is quick and dirty to get to Wisconsin, then all i can say is I RV'd for a couple of years with a little Honda and stopping at places with power for the night.  I didn't even have an air conditioner.  There is no shame in stopping at a little campground every night, and hooking up to the pole.

If money is the issue, my nephew flew standby from college to home, took few days waiting but cost virtually nothing, and he mailed his stuff home.  Figured out the optimum size/weight ratio, and literally mailed all his college stuff cross country...  I laughed when I heard about that!

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:25 AM »

If the need and goal is quick and dirty to get to Wisconsin, then all i can say is I RV'd for a couple of years with a little Honda and stopping at places with power for the night.  I didn't even have an air conditioner.  There is no shame in stopping at a little campground every night, and hooking up to the pole.

If money is the issue, my nephew flew standby from college to home, took few days waiting but cost virtually nothing, and he mailed his stuff home.  Figured out the optimum size/weight ratio, and literally mailed all his college stuff cross country...  I laughed when I heard about that!

Brian,
I think the trip is more about the "journey" than the cost in this case.

They are building the bus as a dream, but he has stated more than once that the 1st job it will have is to deliver his precious daughter to college. (to me that says it is something they want to do in person very badly!)

Now back to quiet generators the infamous and banned Cody had/has a very very quiet HONDA generator that I personally consider to be " a construction type" in his Eagle and has a box fan plugged into one of the front outlets that runs when the generator does sucking out fumes from the original A/C compressor area in the engine compartment.

Maybe some of you that have better memories than I do could chime in as to what model it was Cody has.
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 05:07:19 AM »

He now has structural issues too. IMO those need to be taken care of foremost. After that there is the insulation which should not be skimped on. THEN if I were you, I would do what I did. Go steel tent camping until you can save enough to buy the best inverter, generator, etc. The guys are right on about buying the best rather then a buying junk only to end up buying the best because the junk is throwing your money away.

Back in the olden days they did not have air conditioning. Instead people used air blowing across cold to cool themselves down. I highly recommend this. In certain parts of the country swamp coolers work really well, are cheap and sip on the battery juice. I do not think they need a pure sine wave either (though the guys will correct me if Im wrong on that one). I know of some swamp coolers that are specifically designed to run in motorhomes, large trucks, buses and the like which run off of solar power. Also there is nothing wrong with having an ice chest and dipping wash clothes in it then wrapping them around the backs of your neck when in extreme heat (works REAL good). Fans are very useful nice items too and these http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=battery+fan&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3904606781103041726&sa=X&ei=6c0iTomIIoXisQLT6PSxAw&ved=0CHEQ8wIwAA run off regular little batteries that can be bought pretty doggone cheap. Swamp coolers can also be run with just the fan when you are in humid areas. Take sleeping bags, sheets and throw mats. 

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: