Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 06:42:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculator$ for Kale: a Random Act of Kindness  (Read 6856 times)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2006, 10:05:58 AM »

The moderators asked that we start a new thread that they'll make "sticky" for this donations page for Kale and his calculators. Thanks much to the moderators and MAK for allowing us to do this!!  Smiley

http://www.thefamilybus.net/kale/kale.htm

If you're new here, or haven't been following along, Craig (Gumpy) Shepard created a thread here on MAK about a kid from Dixon, WY that entered a TI graphic calculator contest to try to win a calculator for himself and possibly his school. Even with many of us voting mutiple times, Kale could not crack the Top Ten vote-getters (many from large schools and cities) and win anything. Embarrassed

But we wanted to send Kale and his school the calculators anyway! Craig will collect the donations and take care of the purchasing and sending of the calcs. Thanks, Craig! I understand that many of you have already donated to this worthy cause. And I also heard that some busnut rallies will be collecting $ and goods to send Kale and his school! Ain't busnuts a great bunch of folks?!

Feel free to send the page to friends and family that might not read the MAK board. There should be enough info on the page to allow someone to decide whether or not to donate to the cause.

Craig will keep track of our efforts here. Hopefully we can all make a BIG difference with our little donations for Kale and his school in this... Random Act of Kindness.

Brian B.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 02:52:11 PM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 10:38:47 AM »

Brian, moderators, and all busnuts who have taken time to participate in this project through voting, contributions, and responses to the original thread:

Thank you all for helping to make this happen. As of this afternoon, I have $212.97 posted to the account from Paypal donations. I will update this thread as more donations come in. I'm expecting this to last about 4 weeks, and will then know how many calculators we'll be able to provide to Kale and the school. It looks like the TI-84 Silver Edition graphing calculators cost somewhere between $100 and $130 and I'll be looking for the best deals on them.

I'm planning to contact the principal and math teacher at the high school in Baggs today or tomorrow to let them know what's going on, and make sure we don't get equipment that's incompatible with anything they already use. I suspect that won't be a problem, though.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 11:08:08 AM »

Craig, I know you are having to work with and create various accounts so that you can transfer funds from Paypal into an easily accessable account...have you considered paying for the calculators with Paypal? Almost everyone accepts Paypal payments.
May save you a little pain.
Best, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 11:10:52 AM »

Yeah, but that will depend on where I find the best deals on new calculators.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 12:18:24 PM »

Maybe you already use this, Craig, but here's a Froogal search for the calc. http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=Texas+Instruments+TI-84+Silver+Plus&btnG=Search+Froogle

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:54:05 PM »

Good Luck Guy's,

You are Sticky Now....

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 03:37:32 PM »

This is awesome.

We're up to $362.97.   That's at least 4 calculators!  I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of the members of this community.

I called the school today, but was unable to talk with either the principal or the math teacher. I'll call back tomorrow.

There's still a slight glitch in the paypal account. Because I had to set up a new one, it has to be verified to use the button Brian set up (go figure). So, they sent two small deposits to my bank account which I have to verify on their site, and they haven't shown up in my bank yet. So, it looks
like they will sit there till I can get the account fully verified and then "accept" them. It seems to only
happen on the one's sent by the button, and not the ones sent directly to the account.

I've also confirmed that the other address works, too. Not sure why it rejected the first payment.
So, if I reach the limit of one, I'll have Brian change the address to the other one.

Those who would like to contribute directly rather than through the button can use either craig or paypal at gumpydog.com as the email address.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 04:03:17 PM »

My experience with Paypal is that it take about 3 days for an E-deposit, and another day or so for the bank to post same.
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 04:15:45 PM »

JR's right, it does take a few days to initiate the wires. Craig, I have two biz. accounts with Paypal. One for eBay auctions and one for the beer poster sales. If you'd like, I could set up the button to funnel Kale's $ to one of those until you get yours upgraded. And rather than incur more Paypal fees to transfer the Paypal cash back to your account, I could just snail mail you a check of the total donations.

Just a thought, and let me know what you think...

Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
BJW

Always Follow Your Dream!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 09:03:15 AM »

Hey Craig,

You may check with TI or the school district to find the best deal on the calcs.  My mom was a school teacher for 47 years and I remember a ton of special deals she got through either the manufacturer, wholesaler or school district offers that saved her a ton of money (sometimes under wholesale) when buying things for her students.  I don't know if this helps, but just a thought. 

Keep up the great work,
BJW

BJW
Gus the Bus
Federal Way, WA
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 11:53:24 AM »

Good point, BJW! I also have an educator discount since I homeschool (a virtual academy, really) our three kiddos. I dunno if I could scare up a discount on calcs with it, but would be happy to try. Usually a discounter like Amazon would be cheaper still than purchasing through TI with a modest discount, but I'll check into it.

bb

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 01:54:51 PM »

Since TI is doing the design promotion that started this GREAT IDEA, why not contact them & give them the chance to help? It may be that they want to support this type of helping schools. They may even help with getting some covers made!

YOU GUYS ARE COOL

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 08:29:13 AM »

'tis been a few days now with no posts on this thread... where are we at with all of this?
Cheers
Gary

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 08:55:11 AM »

Currently, there have been a total of $372.97 sent in (if my math hasn't failed me).

I'm expecting to keep this thread posted through October, and purchase calculators in early November to send. I haven't been able to make contact with the Principal yet. Our schedules were not symbotic last week. Hoping to do that this week.

I've not been successful finding someone who can put Kale's design on a calculator cover. Still looking.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 09:02:27 PM »

Craig, please do keep this going 'ti; after the end of Oct. as I'm planning to see about contributing some also, but right now I need to keep my $ worried on the bus bash! But as soon as the bash is over it won't have to worry anymore! LOL! I'll be in touch! BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: