Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 10:43:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculator$ for Kale: a Random Act of Kindness  (Read 6714 times)
Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2006, 07:40:51 AM »

Hi Craig,
I almost missed it! Smiley We've been on the road for awhile. We're in Alabama now.  Cheesy Is it cold there today? Grin 75 degrees here Grin Grin Grin

I sure do like this idea of yours. I don't really miss the small town school system that much, so maybe we can get Kale a good leg up. I don't know how much is in the acct. now, but I kicked in $50.
Good luck.
Devin

Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2006, 07:52:23 AM »

I almost missed it! Smiley We've been on the road for awhile. We're in Alabama now.  Cheesy Is it cold there today? Grin 75 degrees here Grin Grin Grin

Yeah, rub it in!  It warmed up to 29 degrees here this morning!  Was 70 on Monday.

I sure do like this idea of yours. I don't really miss the small town school system that much, so maybe we can get Kale a good leg up. I don't know how much is in the acct. now, but I kicked in $50.

Seems to me that you, along with a few others, were the actual originators of this whole idea, so you can take the credit.

I did receive your donation, and responded. Thank you very much.

The account is now up to $556.07 after Paypal fees and before my contribution. I'm hoping to get a few more donations before Monday, and order calculators next week. If anyone still would like to donate, please do so soon.  Right now, it looks like we can provide one calculator to Kale (planning on a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition) an six calculators (TI-84 Plus) to the school.

BTW, I received a donation from one family who lives in Baggs, so evidently the information got distributed to some of the local folks. I had hoped to get more, but I don't know how many folks there may have received the info.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2006, 07:56:27 PM »

Udate...

As of this evening, we've collected $604.32 in the account for calculators, and have a commitment of another $25 in the mail.

We're coming to the end of the donation period (am I starting to sound like a PBS fund drive announcer yet?)

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2006, 06:33:23 PM »

Hi Craig and Brian,

I hope this Thread worked out for your fund raising to bennifit kyle.

Let us know of any ways we can help in the future!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2006, 05:19:46 PM »

Nick,

The thread has been great. Thank you, Mike, and all the moderator for allowing it to happen.

I also want to thank Brian Brown for his effort at putting together the paypal button and web page.

We have exceeded my expectations for this project, and I really appreciate the generosity of the
members of this community.

I will be ordering calculators soon. I haven't received all committed funds, yet, but I believe we
are at 629.32. My intention is to order a calculator for Kale, and 6 for the school, and my contribution
will make up the difference.

I'll continue to post updates as I go forward. We can probably remove the sticky from the thread, though.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

eglluvr

The Quest is But The Beginning...

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2006, 06:56:24 AM »

Craig, Had a bit left over from the Hawaii fund, so add a few more sheckles to the pot

Jim
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2006, 08:45:54 AM »

Here's the latest update....

We received a total of $653.29 after Paypal fees and before my personal contribution.

I did a bit of searching, and found that TI offers a version of the TI-84 Plus calculator which is specifically for schools. It's called the EZ Spot Teacher pack which comes with guidebooks, unit-to-unit cables, batteries, a poster, a transparency, CD, etc. It also comes with a bright yellow cover, and has "School Property" inscribed on it. It's designed specifically for school use.

Normally, these come 10 to a pack, and run about $1100 - $1200 for a box. However, I found a place in Utah that was willing to give me a discount on the units, and will ship them for free! They quoted me $99.50 each for the EZ Spot TI-84 Plus, and $119.50 for the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition.

So, I made a command decision, an ordered 8 of the EZ Spot units, and 1 of the Silver Edition Units.

I'm going to have him ship them directly to the school. We never found any place that could put Kale's design on the covers, so there's really no reason to ship them here and then ship them again to the school. It'll probably take a couple weeks to get them there. I'm sending a personal check so they don't get hit with the credit card fees, since I'm pretty sure they aren't making any profit on this sale.

I'll also be putting together a note for the principal to read when he makes the presentation. If any of you have ideas on what we should say in it, please chime in or email your thoughts separately. I'd like to have a few individuals to collaborate with on that before sending it out. I expect it will be something along the lines of "A group of individuals of questionable sanity would like to honor Kale for his efforts in the TI design contest..."  Cheesy

I'll continue to update this thread as needed.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2006, 06:56:10 PM »

Hi Craig,
How about get out now while you still can. No, just kidding.
Hey thanks for allowing me to be a part of this. i remember fondly those cold wyo mormings. i don't really miss em that much though.
I dont have much to offer on the note for Kyle, but you have given him a boost. 

Thanks

Devin

Happily Bussin'!!
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2006, 07:52:08 PM »

Craig, I would change that part about questionable sanity to totally insane.  LOL.  Seriously, I would tell Kale that in our books, or bus group, he is a winner.  He took time and effort to draw that picture to try to help himself and his school.  That to me is a sign of a winner.  If I am right, he did it without calling attention to himself.  He seems to be a go getter and someone that truly hopes to better himself.  As far as I, and apparently lots of other board members feel, that makes him makes him Number 1. 
Thank you for all you did in getting this started and for following through to the end.  Cat and Dallas

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2006, 08:48:59 PM »

Amen to what Cat said.

Kale is a winner! 

Thanks Craig & fellow bus nuts. 

« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 08:51:06 PM by plyonsMC9 » Logged

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2006, 10:45:45 AM »

Ok, here's the final update on this fun project....

On Wednesday, Nov. 29, eight TI-84 Plus and one TI-84 Plus Silver Edition graphing calculators arrived at the Little Snake River Valley High School.

Below is the message I sent to the principal, and his response follows. 

I just want to send out a big Thank You to everyone who participated in this project whether by posting, voting, or contributing. It's been a lot of fun, and I believe will benefit a great number of kids in the years to come.

=============

Mr. Newton,

If you haven't already, you should be receiving some calculators soon. Below is a simple writeup I put together as a guide for your presentation. Feel free to modify as you see fit. I've also attached a copy of Kale's design, and if possible, would like you to present it so everyone can see his work.

The members of our group would prefer to remain annonymous in this gift, but we definitely want Kale to receive the regognition he deserves for his efforts. We hope that this gift will help him throughout high school and into college.

Thank you for helping us with this.

Craig

====================================

A Random Act of Kindness

Earlier this summer, a message was posted on the Town of Baggs website which said that a student of LSRV had entered a design contest hosted by Texas Instruments. The grand prize would be a nice TI graphing calculator for the winner, and 20 calculators for his school. The message caught my eye, and being a former student who understands what it means to grow up in the Little Snake River Valley, it interested me enough to take a look at the contest.

In looking over the entries submitted by this student and the others in the contest, one thing stood out; the student from LSRV put a lot more effort into his entry than anybody else did. His image was drawn freehand, and the creative title, "Global Calculations", reflected on the whole concept.

There was one other thing that stood out. He didn't have a snowball's chance of winning. Not because his design wasn't good enough. It certainly had all the right stuff, but because the winner was to be determined by popular vote. Many of the competitors come from schools with populations larger than the entire Little Snake River Valley, and there was little chance this one student from LSRV could garner enough votes to keep him in the running.

So, I enlisted the help of some friends around the world, and we decided to try to do one simple random act of kindness by voting for this one student's entry. We tried to pull the votes in to keep him in the top ten where he would have a chance at the grand prize, because we believed if given the chance, his design could stand up on it's own merits, but in the end the big schools won out. 

But these friends of mine are not just ordinary people. They are very special people, with varying backgrounds and education; varying careers and hobbies. They are people who take chances. They are people who know what it means to try; what it means to succeed; and what it means to fail. They are people with dreams and ambitions; people who, for whatever insane reason, are drawn to the dream of converting old Greyhound buses into a custom motorhomes. They are Busnuts!

Many of these people really took this contest to heart, and pulled votes from all their friends and relatives. After the contest ended, we decided that this young man deserved to be rewarded for his dreams and efforts, even if he didn't win the prize. And to that end, we would like to present Kale Harrison with a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition graphing calculator, and and in his honor, we would like to present eight TI-84 Plus graphing calculators to the Little Snake River Schools.

It is our hope that this small token will be received with the warmth in which it is offered, and that Kale and the LSRV Schools will put these tools to good use for the benefit of their respective futures.

Kale, as you travel through this life, be aware that the choices you make and the paths you choose may have a lasting effect on many people whom you may never meet.

Follow your dreams and do great things. We'll be watching.

=====================================

Dear Craig,

Thank you for all you have done for Kale and LSRVS.  The calculators arrived yesterday all in good shape.  We will have the opportunity to present Kale’s to him in the week before Christmas as we will have assemblies with the entire student body; I think the elementary should be present for the presentation.  I also, want to make sure his parents can be at the presentation.  You and your friends have truly help benefit, not only Kale, but many students in the Valley through you thoughtfulness and generous donation.  We all can learn a lesson from your giving back to a place you feel did so much for you.  I know you want to remain anonymous so I can assure you that Kale will be very grateful as he is a thoughtful high achieving young man.

Rick Newton   

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2006, 11:13:31 AM »

Very, very nice, Craig. I'm very touched by what you had to say... and touched by the generosity of so many members of this Board. With all of the negative cr*p that falls on our doorsteps every day, it's so nice to have this positive, uplifting thing that we can be proud to be a part of.

I'm going to have my kids read your post as part of their school today. They've been asking about the calcs and the donations... so they'll be pleased to know what happened.

Thanks for your tireless work in making this happen, Craig. Thanks to all who donated and contributed to the thread. And thanks again to this Board for allowing the power of the Internet, coupled with good old "pass the bucket" generosity, to do something very kind, very direct... and very, very meaningful.

Awesome!
Brian B.

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Dallas

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2006, 02:24:25 PM »

Thanks Craig for the update.

I sit here with tears in my eyes wishing there were more that I could do to make life in small towns easier for those growing up in them.

I also want to thank everyone who contributed to the fund even if just by moral support.

We have a pretty good bunch here, and on the other boards also. Like a family, we have our squabbles and tiffs, but all in all we are a FAMILY. Lets keep it that way.

And for all of those who have chosen to leave the family for whatever reason, Please, Please, reconsider. We miss you.
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2006, 03:38:02 PM »

Anonymous, nobody told me we were going to be anonymous! I thought you were going to keep our identies secret.  Grin

Craig,
Thanks for all your work on making this happen and your eloquent words.

Devin & Amy
FMCA#377731

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2006, 04:34:18 PM »

Craig, and all others involved,

Thanks.

Devin

Happily Bussin'!!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print