Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 06:29:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Turbo stuff.. Yet another odd project..  (Read 3499 times)
DrDave

« on: April 17, 2006, 06:34:39 PM »

I am looking for some turbo/turbine parts, pretty big stuff too...

Looking for a compressor wheel with an outside diameter of 6.325 inches (max?) with the small end diameter
in the range of or machinable to 3.365 to 3.893 inches.

Also looking for Turbine wheel (hot end) 6.250 to 6.350 inches, small end 4.125 to 4.250 or machinable
to similar dimensions.

This application is not for a standard turbo and parts will probably need to be machined. It is something custom
that I am working on. It has to survive 50,000 rpm plus ! Cry

If you happen to have access to a pile of big turbos of any kind there might be something there I can use....

Dave....
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 07:22:14 PM »

Dave,
Have you checked out the DD 2stroke page at Yahoo?
That sounds, from the specs that your looking for something from the WWII Fairbanks Morse or the 3500HP DD.
If you look at some of the antique Submarines or Locomotives, you may have a chance of finding a place to start.
Garret will spec any turbo you want, but they are pricey
A/R will too, but they waqnt to do it for even more for a one off.
Talk to Carroll Shelby enterprizes, they are good at off the wall stuff.
Good Luck
Dallas
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 06:44:33 AM »

This application is not for a standard turbo and parts will probably need to be machined. It is something custom
that I am working on. It has to survive 50,000 rpm plus ! Cry

Oh come on!  NO FAIR!!

You can't just throw something like this out in the blue sky and not enlighten us on what you're up to!!  Huh

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:16:25 AM »

Craig,

Dave is building a Super Turbo Charged Aeronautical Jet Powered Shuttle Bus!

So He Can FLY THE  HELL OFF THIS BIG BLUE BALL!

I THINK?
Nick-
P.S. He'll need some air packs Too!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 09:23:42 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 11:25:47 AM »

I'm not going to get worried until he asks for a FLUX CAPACITOR[

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 12:14:50 PM »

Wish he would.  I could finally get rid of that darn thing!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 12:16:20 PM »

What about the dilithium crystals?Huh
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 12:42:35 PM »

I'm keeping that stuff for myself!!  You just can't get good dilithium anymore!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

DrDave

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 12:58:42 PM »

Hey, TOP SECRET.... Grin Grin Grin

Part A fits in Part B and the ... If I told you the rest... Wink

My lathe has developed a spindle wobble.. Driving me NUTZ!! Cry

Anybody got a spare TIG regulator and hose laying around they don't want? ( cheeo? )
I gotta learn how to TIG weld but my HF tig welder didn't include a regulator....Huh

I will let little tidbits of info out each week until someone figures out what I am playing with.

The Game is Afoot...... Stay Tuned....
DrDave

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 05:14:20 AM »

Teaser...
It looks like, But what is it? May not be what you think....

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 05:21:14 AM »

Starting to look like a microhydro generator wheel, but I think 50K revs is a bit high, and if I recall correctly, you're in FL, which doesn't have enough elevation to support microhydro.

Maybe steam generation? Possibly solar powered steam generation?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 05:42:43 AM »

I Know What it Is!!

Alum. SPINNERS For Your Wheels

This way you can generate power when you drive!!

MABE!
Nick-

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
DrDave

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 07:35:08 AM »

Keep guessing.... Wink Grin

NOT!
Alloy....Yes...

Another hint tomorrow... Maybe... Grin
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 05:51:03 AM »

Hey, what the heck happened to this project?

You gonna tell us what it is, or not?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 08:52:45 AM »

Craig,

If he dosn't reply, We can only think he did what I first said. Flew off the planet!!

Dr. Dave Phone Home!

DrDave

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2006, 04:00:42 PM »

Participation...

Actually I got slid off to the nether-pages because everyone was so eagerly posting to get their ratings points
and there were no responses after a few days that down the list I went with this one.

The only problem I see with the new board software is that if you get buried and slid off the primary page
your post will be ignored quickly. People don't want to keep wading through a bunch of pages to see older
messages.

And what would be the point of me replying to myself to keep the topic at the top of the list.

I do have better manners than those "others" who post just to see their own profiles updated......newbie's...

Now back to the original subject...... Cool

.... Well... Now that weeks have passed, The project has basically passed to the back burner as I have
been busy with other stuff and hitting "parts needs" dead ends there too...

I bought 2 gas turbine 28 volt generator units at an auction. One had lost all the turbine blades due
to bearing failure. That was the one that I was looking for Turbo-Tubine wheels for as a kind of "what-if",
the other I have disassembled and it also had bearing failures but the turbine wheels are in much better
shape. The efforts were a learning thing and I was trying to determine if there could be some do it yerself
cheap turbo boost project that could be applied to a bus engine that could have been belt driven maybe by the old a/c compressor pulleys.

I am still thinking about that, Just not doing much more than letting brain cells mull things over for a while.

A.I.S.A.S.T ( Age Induced Short Attention Span Theatre )
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2006, 04:18:37 PM »

Gosh Dave,

I was really looking forward to a intergalatic phone call.

Gas Turbine generator, Kool.

Nick-

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2006, 07:02:41 PM »

And what would be the point of me replying to myself to keep the topic at the top of the list.

I do have better manners than those "others" who post just to see their own profiles updated......newbie's...

Cute! Some of us caught on to this one ...  mr. jr. member  Wink

I bought 2 gas turbine 28 volt generator units at an auction.

Well that went right over my head!  Darn. I was hoping it would be something I might actually know something about.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

DrDave

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2006, 04:30:44 AM »

Cute! Some of us caught on to this one ...  mr. jr. member  Wink

Well that went right over my head!  Darn. I was hoping it would be something I might actually know something about.

I have found that it's not always a case of having to know something about working on stuff that is completely new and totally different from other stuff that you have worked on throuout your life. It's kinda like waking up one morning and deciding to go buy a bus and convert it. Sometimes we all do things that to others might seem insane or just stupid mainly because we can! Grin

My grandfather always told me what may seem like poor advice at times to "Learn Everything thing you can about Everything You Can!"
I fear that my problem was that I took that advice way too literally. So didn't specialize in any one thing in life and go make big money being a "strictly educated" and make that big money. As it turned out I became flexible and pretty good doing lots of things and many really well. Hey what's the point of life if you can't experiment with stuff. ( Keeps the boredom away!).

Heck, If it weren't for messing with bus conversions I would probably be dead right now. 10 years ago I suffered massive heart problems that put me down almost for good. So after 6 months of watching grass grow and being broke, I went and bought a bus. Then I bought another bus because the first one was junk and I didn't realize it at the time. I learned lots of stuff to add to my personal knowledge. I converted that bus with no budget and yet managed to get enough done to make it livable.

I did already have a background in RV's and conversions from a previous job some years back which helped.

I am one of those people that cannot pass by a salvage yard without thinking about all the goodies in there that have potential.
I don't see stuff as scrap metal I see it as materials that could be used for other projects. I have owned 5 buses, converted 3 of them and done one for someone else. (low budget job).

The bus is always the big deal, grand scheme and or monument to you your own ingenuity. It can the a lifetime project or the Project of a Lifetime, It can be whatever you want it to be, Your choice.....Never Give Up !

The other little side projects and experiments are for entertainment and bragging rights. I could imagine a bus equipped with a huge
jet engine making a speed record run on the salt flats. Always thought that would be so cool!, Realistic NO, But worth thinking about.

Why be normal anyway, That's no fun.... Wink

Dallas

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2006, 05:25:54 AM »

I have found that it's not always a case of having to know something about working on stuff that is completely new and totally different from other stuff that you have worked on throuout your life. It's kinda like waking up one morning and deciding to go buy a bus and convert it. Sometimes we all do things that to others might seem insane or just stupid mainly because we can! Grin

My grandfather always told me what may seem like poor advice at times to "Learn Everything thing you can about Everything You Can!"
I fear that my problem was that I took that advice way too literally. So didn't specialize in any one thing in life and go make big money being a "strictly educated" and make that big money. As it turned out I became flexible and pretty good doing lots of things and many really well. Hey what's the point of life if you can't experiment with stuff. ( Keeps the boredom away!).

Heck, If it weren't for messing with bus conversions I would probably be dead right now. 10 years ago I suffered massive heart problems that put me down almost for good. So after 6 months of watching grass grow and being broke, I went and bought a bus. Then I bought another bus because the first one was junk and I didn't realize it at the time. I learned lots of stuff to add to my personal knowledge. I converted that bus with no budget and yet managed to get enough done to make it livable.

I did already have a background in RV's and conversions from a previous job some years back which helped.

I am one of those people that cannot pass by a salvage yard without thinking about all the goodies in there that have potential.
I don't see stuff as scrap metal I see it as materials that could be used for other projects. I have owned 5 buses, converted 3 of them and done one for someone else. (low budget job).

The bus is always the big deal, grand scheme and or monument to you your own ingenuity. It can the a lifetime project or the Project of a Lifetime, It can be whatever you want it to be, Your choice.....Never Give Up !

The other little side projects and experiments are for entertainment and bragging rights. I could imagine a bus equipped with a huge
jet engine making a speed record run on the salt flats. Always thought that would be so cool!, Realistic NO, But worth thinking about.

Why be normal anyway, That's no fun.... Wink

Well said.
I was given the same advise when I was young. I not only march to a different drummer, but I also march in route step with a whole different band.
The adventure is in the journey, not in the arrival.
Keep up the good work!
Dallas
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2006, 06:43:02 AM »

Hi Dave,
OK, you old timers on the board might be doin' some leg pulling, but I'll bite.  Have you thought about a railroad locomotive engine rebuilder?  There's one here in my neck of the woods that rebuilds engines for Norfolk Southern RR.  Perhaps they can help you.  If you think that's a possibility, I'll try to put you in touch with them.
Dennis
Roanoke, VA
HI YO SILVER!

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: