Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 11:25:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How many folks pull a enclosed trailer?  (Read 1999 times)
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »

This topic has been beat to death.    I am just wondering which States that I need to "avoid"

I have a 20' Featherlite.   I don't want to buy a smaller trailer.   When looking for this trailer I seen all the stackers and Vantares pulling 3 axle 25' enclosed units.   

My upcoming vacation will put me right thru the midwest.   I'll be on I-90..   

I would like to hear from those that HAVE been stopped.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »

I found out all states will give your home states length in Wa isn't that 75 ft across Idaho and Wy you can tow a train with out any problems lol back east who knows just enjoy and don't worry just pay attention to the tow speeds that where they nail you at least that's where they always got me lol  

good luck
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 02:31:20 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »

Clifford Thanks...

75' in Washington is great..   It's the 65"  in Nebraska and '60 feet in Minnesota that has me worried.
chuckd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »

ZC I just looked MN and they say 75 feet for two vehicle combination.

Chuckd
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »

I've never had a problem towing my 16'er here in Nebraska. Although it's not really defined well in length limits I do believe the term "rv exempt" applies as long as its within reason. In all reality people living and working out of their bus could actually be required to get a cdl as they are using the vehicle in a business and it weighs over 26000 lbs. If the dot guys checked anything it would be the trailer brakes and safety chains.

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 04:39:26 PM »

Scott,  I'll be in Fremont, Holdredge, and Friend..   The trailer from gate to ball is 24.4'  The bus is 46' to the ball.   The last time I was in Nebraska there was a roadblock on Hwy 6 at Dorchester..   Everyone had to stop..
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 04:43:10 PM »

I bought a new trailer so I would be under 65'.  I used to have a 28' trailer, 30' ball to bumper, I switched to a 20' that is 25.5' ball to bumper.  I have never heard of anyone getting measured, but I know it happens so I decided to get as legal as I reasonably could.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
pipopak

I am the 99%

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »

.......   Everyone had to stop..
..........and......... (scary suspense music)..........

Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.
Ace

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 04:49:58 PM »

Largest I towed was my 20' stacker but only the east coast with never a problem. I downsized to a 16 footer only because it serves me well when not using the bus and it saves fuel.
Ace

Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 04:51:56 PM »

pipopak, they officer asked me if he could board.   I said no problem.   He stood on second step, and asked me where I was from and where I was going.   He said, have a good day and I went on my way.   Every vehicle was being stopped in both directions.   My son was taking pictures of the road block..
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 06:42:20 AM »

Minnesota went from 60' or 65' to 75' in 2008 I believe.  I've read of people getting ticketed near the border before the law changed.

I tow a 20' enclosed trailer with my 43' bus.  I've never measured for sure but I think I'm at 67'.  The only time I would be worried is going east.  I would probably leave the trailer home if I was going east.  I'm not aware of any reciprocity for vehicle length.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 12:42:21 PM »

You do realize that on National Highway network no length limits are in affect at all - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
blank

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 02:00:23 PM »

Slightly OT, but when I was moving down here from Minnesota, I wanted to pull my boat behind the Toad to save a trip. I didnt check every state, but IA, MO, AR, and several others all allow two trailers behind a large vehicle, everyone except MN who only allow it behind a 5th wheel for some retarded reason. I did it anyway though. I figured the worst would be some mickey mouse ticket and maybe have to dead head a ways if they made me drop it. Passed about 100 MN State Troopers (not exaggerating, counted over 140 on one particular trip) between the Twin Cities and the Iowa border and none gave a second look.

If you arent speeding, and look reasonable and well rigged they'll leave you alone for the most part. Its also much more common to see a big Bus pulling a big trailer these days so it looks "normal". IMHO as well as many ive spoken to, they look more closely for the 1/2 ton truck pulling an excavator or skid loader without any chains holding it down, which also seems to be much more common to see these days. 
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 10:18:18 PM »

What Niles said.  There are states with restrictions on tripple semi trailers but trips are pulled thru all states on the Interstate.  Di I know that?Huh? no!  Truckers have told me that all states are required to "allow" for the rules in the licensed state while you are on the interstate or within a mile or two.  They, each and every one of those truckers, declined to pay any ticket I might get...LOL.

I had plans to buy a 28 foot enclosed trailer and pull it with a 40 foot Pre.  Never do anything half way even if it is lawlessness.  My fallback is that one of the things inside that trailer is a 4X4 "P" cup that can pull the trailer with Wifey driving.  No risk of having to leave anything or pay a tow bill.

ONE PIECE OF ADVICE..... Steer clear of any local where they have a Highway Patrol or State Trooper training center/ school/ academy.  Those young zealot "students" get extra credit for coming up with some obscure shred of vehicular lawr stuff.  They only seem to be allowed out in the daylight hours with a sharp instrument such as a pencil so a midnight run seems prudent if you know you have exposure.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 06:54:48 AM »

I just have to wonder why so many people want to pull trailers. Huh  More wind resistance, more strain/weight on the back of the bus, worse fuel mileage, have to store it someplace in an rv park, usually at additional cost, worry about tickets if over length, etc. etc.  And it seems like it is people just on vacation doing it and not full timers?  And people with 40 or 45ft. buses?  Thinking about the full timers that we know, a lot of us have 35ft. buses and just have a toad. A lot don't have a house/shop somewhere so we have to carry everything with us that we need or want. How much stuff do you need on a one or two week vacation?  Less is more, folks!  Just my take on it! Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: