Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 05:12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4905 Safety Inspection--Now Depressed!!  (Read 3248 times)
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 05:16:56 PM »

His profile indicates York, Penn as his home base.  Texas is pretty strict, but with the population of the state such as it is, it might be a good deal.  You should see some of the junk that is routinely driven on a daily basis in Oklahoma (Oklahoma eliminated vech. inspections as unnecessary and no longer needed).

BCO

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 05:38:26 PM »

Minnesota hasn't had safety inspections in many years if ever.  With the number of cars driving around with burned out lights on the rear it would be nice if they had at least a minimal inspection.  I rarely see any grossly unsafe vehicles on the road though.

It isn't a DOT inspection, but I have C&J bus repair check out everything underneath once a year plus the brakes and other essentials.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

I don't mind paying the 14 bucks in Texas for a inspection they tie other things to that also like no valid insurance, no sticker,no safety sticker, no license plate renewal,no drivers license nothing except maybe a little jail house visit lol 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ralph7

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2011, 06:37:28 PM »

Pa. has a different inspection system!!!!! $$$$$$ are looked for by some!! Even a new car can fail!  Some are honset.
       Inspection stations vary by what vehicles they can inspect.

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »

"The minor items include a non-working windshield washer pump".  Since when is the windshield washer part of a DOT or State inspection?
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 06:50:07 PM »

The state of Virginia allows a used vehicle dealer to do their own safety inspections.  Total conflict of interest.  My bus would never have passed an honest safety inspection the way it was off the lot.

I don't know how any service place could truly do a full state of Virginia safety inspection on a heavy vehicle based on the $50 they could charge back in 2006.  $50 would only cover 1/2 hour labor at most places.  A by the book inspection would take over an hour by my estimate.  There is a requirement to remove at least two wheels and the brake drums too.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »

Depends on the state Jack in OK I remember it had to have a washer that worked don't the feds require that as part of OEM safety equipment 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Nusa

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 07:33:27 PM »

Looks like in PA it is: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/inspections/safety_motorist_faq.shtml
pabusnut

P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »

Guys,

Thanks for all the comments and constructive criticism.  I picked up the bus tonight but didn't get to talk in person to the guy who inspected it.  I am taking off work tomorrow to do get the in-person rundown on the inspection.  I can also find/order/get any parts I need for the stuff it needs.

In PA, private shops do the Safety Inspection, which is not a DOT inspection where penalties are involved, but a structured pass/fail criteria by size and type of vehicle.  Yes, some of the shops are trolling for work and push the envelope, so when you get a good and fair one, you keep going there.  I changed shops for inspection, because the one I went to previously is now closed.   I truly want a good inspection per the established criteria.  The only real difference between a motorhome inspection an a bus inspection is the frequency.  Motorhome 1X and bus 2X per year. 

A reputable bus place (about 45 min from home)adjusted my brakes, and replaced some air bags and a leveling valve, and it wasn't until I got it home that I realized that the inspection would run out in another 15 days. Cry  For the inspection, I didn't want to run too far from home and risk a fine for being out of inspection(costs twice + what an inspection costs). 

My major concern is time.  I can get everything fixed before the planned trip, BUT then I won't have the other things finished , such as running water, or A/C, or 120VAC power.

I am taking a deep breath, and one step back to plan what I am going to do---but will know more in the morning.

My wife calls me MR SAFETY, and that is the way I like it.  There is risk in doing anything, so I prefer to make my risk assessment regarding my family’s safety (and everyone else’s on the road) when I have the correct information. 

Thanks again!

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
mikke60

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 03:30:36 AM »

I had the same problem with my low air buzzer also.  Just opennned it up and found it needed a good cleaning from non use.  mike
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2011, 07:58:39 PM »

I stand corrected;

Subpart G - Miscellaneous parts and accessories

§ 393.78Windshield wiping and washing systems.
 (a) Vehicles manufactured on or after December 25, 1968. Each bus, truck, and truck-tractor manufactured on or after December 25, 1968, must have a windshield wiping system that meets the requirements of FMVSS No. 104 (S4.1) in effect on the date of manufacture. Each of these vehicles must have a windshield washing system that meets the requirements of FMVSS No. 104 (S4.2.2) in effect on the date of manufacture.
(b) Vehicles manufactured between June 30, 1953, and December 24, 1968. Each truck, truck-tractor, and bus manufactured between June 30, 1953, and December 24, 1968, shall be equipped with a power-driven windshield wiping system with at least two wiper blades, one on each side of the centerline of the windshield. Motor vehicles which depend upon vacuum to operate the windshield wipers, shall have the wiper system constructed and maintained such that the performance of the wipers will not be adversely affected by a change in the intake manifold pressure.

Sorry folks.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
pabusnut

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 07:20:19 AM »

Well,

It looks like the bus will be staying in the driveway while we go to UTAH!

I decided that I probably could get the safety items fixed, but I wouldn't have the time to finish all the "house" items that are unfinished.  None of it is difficult, but since the "Flux capacitor" is on the fritz I won't be able to make more time either!

We will definitely be driving, but it is a toss up between hotels and pulling a tent camper!

Thanks again for all the help!

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
pabusnut

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 06:06:34 PM »

Quick update. 

New backup lights are installed.  Truck Lite Units that look very close to the originals were available at Ryder Fleet products.  They have a rubber base and still use the "old school" bulbs.  So many of the new 12 VDC ones I looked at use the newer "blade" type bulbs, which aren't available in 24 VDC.  Several problems were encountered.  The old ones literally disintegrated when I took them off.  The wires that were "hooked up" to the backup light switch were not hooked to anything.  Fortunately the original wires were still in the bundle and could be spliced back in to the switch.  The last problem was that the circuit breaker (5A) was shot.  The lowest NAPA carries is 8A so thats what I orderd.  When I got home I realized I could have just put an in-line fuse in there for as little as it is used --Oh well.

New license plate lights are a custom installed.  Got these from Ryder too.  They also use the old school mini 12 vdc bulbs(waiting on the 10 I had to order).  The original lights here also disintegrated upon removal.  I installed 2 lights over the one license plate--just to make sure.

The low air light and buzzer are still sort of a problem.  I am not getting a good ground.  I got the light to work by using a jumper wire to ground.  The wiring diagram shows a ground right after the air pressure switch(NC).  The buzzer must be toast.  Since I didn’t hear any buzzers I pulled the cover for the one for low oil pressure is literally toasted.   I will order two of them on Monday from Luke.  What bothers me about this ground is that the diagram doesn’t tell you where that wire physically goes to ground at.  I will have to study the drawing further.  I can run a temporary ground right to the main ground (nest to the batteries) for now.
I have decided to let the inspection shop pull the brakes and repair them, since I don’t have the tools.  I am waiting to order any brake parts, until they have it apart.  I am also going to let them replace the “tie rod” and adjust the steering.  Luke B says it can be done.
I am continuing to work on the house stuff, even though I am not taking it to UTAH this trip.  We will go somewhere for a long weekend locally when I get that done.

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut
boxcarOkie

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »

Quick update. 

We will go somewhere for a long weekend locally when I get that done.

Steve Toomey
pabusnut

Nice progress.  Take it to Chattanooga when you get it done.

BCO

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: