Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 13, 2017, 12:51:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relocating the Start Batteries Diagram?  (Read 901 times)
mcidave

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »

I want relocating the start batteries to the engine compartment ans was wondering if anyone has a diagram?   I have an 1982 MCI 9 with the 6V92 Engine.  Also, how should I handle charging the 31 series batteries in the relocated engine compartment location and the 8D's in the original location at the same time from the on board 50DN generator?
pete36330

my mc9 ,,gonna finish it one day ,,

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:53:56 PM »

hopefully someone that has already done it will give some advice ,,this is also on my list of things to do  on my 82 ,mc9,
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 06:46:11 PM »

I don't understand the difference between the new batteries in the new engine compartment location and the old batteries in the old location, since you imply you will keep them both.  Can you explain that?

Just adding batteries in the engine compartment is easy.  Build the platform to mount them, run a 4/0 cable from the main power stud on the firewall, and route the positive connection via a stock battery disconnect switch.  Duplicate the stock wiring, basically.

If your plan is to keep the stock batteries in the stock location as house batteries, then I would add a battery isolation switch, manual or automatic, so that they can be isolated from the new start batteries when required.  I use a big marine battery switch, and there are a number of clever ideas for using a big solenoid to do the same trick.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:49:00 PM by bevans6 » Logged

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: