Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 12:53:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3306 Cat Engine  (Read 1583 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:25:35 AM »

If you guys are looking for a 4 stroke Government Liquidation has some 10.5 liter 3306 non electronic engines for sale not as much HP and torque as their big brother the 3406 the standard setting for one is 270 hp with almost a 1000 lbs of torque they are fairly easy and cheap to bump those setting up the 3306 is one tough engine 

They will withstand 2250 rpm all day long one fine engine I have a friend that has one in his Eagle going on 12 years now he never spent a nickle on the engine so far just passing it on for the one looking to a upgrade so to speak

I would buy one in a heart beat over a M 11 Cummins

Life is short drink the good wine first
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:26:03 PM »

Hey Clifford, I was looking at a Mercedes V8 the other day it has around 2000 ft lbs tq think it would go in where my 92 is.

Don
B_K

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »

Hey Clifford, I was looking at a Mercedes V8 the other day it has around 2000 ft lbs tq think it would go in where my 92 is.

Don

Grin
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:15:34 AM »

The 3306 is a 2 valve head engine. They came in both pre chamber and direct injection. I believe the highest truck rating was 325hp and 1100lb/ft torque. Like the 3406B or C mechanical, probably the most dirt reliable engines ever made (no electronics. Granted you get better fuel mileage with an electronic engine, but have one breakdown [which you will] with an electronic engine because of the electronics, and you've blown all the fuel savings). Would be a great bus engine-much smaller in size then the 3406/N14/ISX 15/Series 60. More on par size wise of a Cummins L10/M11/ISM or the Cat C10/12.

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 10:37:51 AM »

The 3306 engine is still being made by Caterpillar in Natural Gas. Hence engine block, head and other parts should not be a problem. The 3406C is still being made in both Diesel and Natural gas. Good Luck, TomC

wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »

Yes the 3300 & 3400 series did well in the correct application no doubt Cat still produces them, but where are they selling them, certainly off shore /  Mexico etc as they are not EPA compliant IE not sellable as a new engine, parts from the Mossville, Ill  plant indeed.

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 08:45:01 PM »

3306 and 3406C is made new as a natural gas engine to power pumps or generators for the oil field industry. The 3406C Diesel is still being made new for generators in countries that need the simplicity of mechanical injection, and reliability over fuel economy and exhaust emissions of an electronically controlled injection.  It's nice to know that those VERY reliable engines are still being made.

My 3406B at 400hp with jacket water aftercooling is still being made as a 3406C-one of the many reasons I'm converting my truck. Good Luck, TomC

wg4t50

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:58:51 PM »

TomC
Right, Reminds me of the 14 days I spent in Cario Egypt doing work on 7 vehicles, just installing 24 VDC 275 Amp Alternators on 1-Jeep Wranger nade in China,4-Nissan Pathfinders and 2-Toyotas for a new security contract.  What an education that was between translator and the men that worked with me knew as much english as I knew Eguptian, made for slow.  Was not allowed to touch their tooling, so trying to explain the small details thru the interperter was a slow go.  Roll Eyes
Had gotten to know an American educated Eguptian Army Col. who I asked about his take on perferred diesel engines, he quickly said the Russian diesel, while they are very crude, they could be rebuilt/fixed by unskilled men, while the American Diesels were far better engines, they simply could not repair them. Have we out dumbed ourself?

MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for over 50 wpm for ever.
Central Virginia
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »

Was in St Petersburg Russia and went on a river excursion. The engine room door was open so of course I had to take a look. They had 2-straight 8 cylinder Diesels (couldn't read the make-it was in Russian) that were naturally aspirated. Was simple-8 plunger injector pump and the air cleaner was a screen over the intake. Sometimes simple is just better.

Compared to the new DD engines. Dual overhead cams. Water/oil module that has the water pump, water filter, oil cooler, oil filter and block heater. Fuel module that has the fuel filter screen, main fuel filter, primer pump and fuel cooler. Uses common rail fuel injection pumped at about 20,000psi to the HUEI fuel injectors that bump the pressure up to 36,000psi tip pressure. Better use the correct oil filter with the check valve or else the oil filter will drain every time you turn off the engine making for a dry oil start-usually causing bearing failure in about 15,000mi. But-they are the most fuel efficient engines ever made. We have had a demo truck with the new DT (Detroit Transmission) 12spd automated (Mercedes-Benz based) go from L.A. to Bakersfield weighing 80,000lbs doing 4 round trips and averaging 8mpg with idle time (8.2mpg just driving)-and the engine isn't even broken in yet! If I had that engine in my bus, I would probably be getting around 12-14mpg! Good Luck, TomC

Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 08:33:17 AM »

"Have we out dumbed ourselves?"   Used to be you could fix a car with a basic set of tools,.....looked under the hood of a new car lately? It is getting to where other than putting fuel into it and starting it and maybe changing the wiper blades, there isn't much you can do to it....and for years now they have been working on systems that will be selfdriving. Just look at the parallel parking system that some cars have now. Just how lazy can we get. Huh    My answer would be Yes!

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: