Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 21, 2014, 12:19:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagle air conditioning removal (is it worth anything)  (Read 2058 times)
5B Steve

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2011, 06:31:15 AM »

If your air works, I would keep it. Nothing better to cool a coach while on the road. Wish I would have kept

mine.  Just my 2cents worth. Good luck!!!!!!!

Steve 5B.....
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2011, 08:03:30 PM »

My air will cool the back of the bus but not the front. It just has a coil at the back of the bus and no air to the front. It blows cold but it will not keep up on hot days.

The pics are of what I have.

Cabin air compressor and coil.^^^^

Drivers air^^^^

My thoughts on the situation is that to cool the bus good I will have to run the generator for the roof units anyways. SO... I might as well save on fuel and do away with the excisting AC and put the generator where the original condensor and black tanks are.

Is there anything that I am not considering?
If I get the drivers air to work do you think that it will do enough to cool the front of the bus?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:05:39 PM by demodriver » Logged
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »

One of my other concerns is the removal of the drive shaft for the AC. Would it cause any problems with only running the road side shaft?  If I remember correctly the ac and fan for the condensor is the only thing ran off the curb side shaft.

Eric
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2011, 08:26:10 PM »

It won't hurt the miter box just to run 1 shaft done all the time with factory air removed,pull your front bumper and see if the factory install is still there the drivers air you are showing is a add on from someone I was wondering if they tied it into the drivers factory air or what they have done there

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2011, 08:28:31 PM »

I will snap a few pics tomorrow if I get home in time.

Eric
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 09:04:40 AM »

It won't hurt the miter box just to run 1 shaft done all the time with factory air removed,pull your front bumper and see if the factory install is still there the drivers air you are showing is a add on from someone I was wondering if they tied it into the drivers factory air or what they have done there

good luck

Clifford I was noticing that compressor as well. It could be one of Welch's (or some one else's) units set up as an aux for the rear instead of driver's. In revenue service in this part of the country they install an aux unit for the passengers and let the driver roast! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »

That what I am wondering BK sounds like he has auxiliary in in the rear and that is the part that is working the factory cabin air doesn't look to be in very good shape doubt if that part is working.
The drivers air is in the front inside the spare tire compartment tied to the factory cabin air if the cabin air is not working the drivers air doesn't work but who knows what someone has done on a 27 year old bus
The factory cabin air on that bus should be in the front bay behind the forward bulk head wall not at the rear the heating is at the rear between the frame a bitch to remove lol

good luck
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:27:10 PM by luvrbus » Logged

demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 10:22:53 AM »

You guys are probably right. The small compressor is probably what is running the air that works. I will chace the lines tonight and find out for sure. If the factory air is in fact not working it is going to be removed tonight and scrapped tomorrow. I will still get the pics of the front air as well.

Eric
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »

Well here is what I have that works. Its not factory for sure.

This works out even better for me. I can leave this all hooked up and still remove the factory unit.  Once it cools down a bit I will check out the ac thats up front and take a few pics and start removing the factory unit.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 12:07:46 PM »

Eric,
That is exactly what you have is a Welch unit aux unit in the rear.

So, it really will make it nice for you is you can keep this unit as is or move the inside unit to the drivers area and have ready made driver air! (or add an evaporator and fan @ the front and leave this to help keep the bed room cool for the wife to nap going down the road! Wink )
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 12:51:46 PM »

My wife nap while I drive! I couldnt get that lucky lol.... JK my wife dont bother me and I prefer to have company while I drive to share the views.

If the factory evaporator coil in the front is in good shape I may try to tie it into this unit if it will work.

What freon will be in the welch unit? would it be compatable with whats in the factory drivers air? I didnt find any tags or any info on any of the units.

Eric
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »

Check the filling connections if a quick connect will be 134A

good luck

demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2011, 01:49:46 PM »

yes I noticed it has the quick connect fittings yesterday.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »

I took some advise from folks using a mister system to cool their engines down by spraying the radiators with water and plumbed one up to cool me down also! Generally I get a little warm going down hill too so it works on both sides of the mountain.  Grin But seriously, salvage prices are really high and copper fetches a pretty good price. I hate to think it but maybe our busses are worth more at the salvage yard than on Ebay!

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
demodriver

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2011, 06:53:42 PM »

The last city bus that I junked brung over $5k over the scales. Thats not including all of the copper that I pulled out of it.  Bus had to be one of the most rotten vehicles I have owned.  It started to break in half from towing it.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: