Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 04:52:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: air compressor cycling every 5 minutes, MC 5C  (Read 3119 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2011, 10:03:06 AM »

YEA, I FOUND IT Smiley, Almost...

It is in the air door claw, somewhere between the red valve under the dash and the claw itself at the door.

I just come back from a drive, and the air pressure stays up forever with the red valve off. But leaks down in 3 minutes with it up. So after coffee, it's back to the bus with the soap bubbles. I hope the leak is somewhere accessible, because the PO had the stairs and the wall on both sides of it covered in ceramic tiles, blocking access to the claw, below the pass chair. So if I am lucky, it will be under the dash or in the spare tire comp. Will see.

Later,

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »

Good for you, the logical progression of alternatives.  I mentioned the air door possibility earlier, because I had the exact same issue though not as bad as yours.  I had to flip the red cut-off switch as soon as I parked too.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 11:08:24 AM »

So simple!! Once you find it, LOL.

As soon as I bent over to crawl into the spare tire compartment, I could hear it hissing. Off course I've been in there before, but the door claw was never pressurized. And you can't hear it from above while driving.

It is the line from the door air cylinder quick release valve to the air door cylinder itself. Big hissing hole in the middle of it. I didn't need soap bubbles to find it! So off to town after lunch to have a new one made up. It will be a challenge threading the new hose fitting onto the back of the cylinder, really tight access through the hole alongside the claw, but doable.

I feel great about my bus again.

A big thank you to all of you that contributed with tips and ideas and moral support.

This board is so great.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: