Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 22, 2014, 06:33:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire Guy Was in A GOOD MOOD  (Read 2923 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »

JohnEd, truck tires are measured on the sidewall measure the sidewall to outside edge of tire multiply by 2 then by 2 and you have it  11x2 = 22   22x2 =44  and believe it or they didn't teach me that in school lol

good luck
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 12:54:20 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »

Thanks Clifford.....you always cut to the chase.LOL

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 07:32:27 PM »

We are parked on the bank of the Mississippi River and the bottom half of the tires look like a BIG smile (the top half looks like a big frown).  Gotta run 7 miles tomorrow in spite of the invention of the internal combustion engine. Then it's time to get the inner tubes out of the tires for a float.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 07:01:17 AM »

When matching tires I always used 3/4 inch in circumference allowance difference (runout). Must maintain equal air pressure.  Bob

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
blank

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »

With the advent of a cheap handheld IR gun, the answer to the question rests right in your hand. Short of measuring the inflated tire with something accurate, and even that means little after its mounted on the vehicle, if the difference is small, the actual running temp is going to tell you more than anything else. It likely impossible to expect the pair on a side to run perfectly equal, to the degree, but there should not be anything wildly different.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 10:02:56 PM »

The inside tire will run hotter, less air gets to it to cool it. if one side is running in the sun that side will be hotter than the other side. When all is said and done, you could have 4 different temperature readings on your duals. I have found 30 degrees or more difference from inside to outside tire. I have a lot more faith in my Pressure Pro than i do the temp gun because i can check my tire pressures as often as i want while going down the road. I use the temp gun when we make a stop to check tires, bearings, brakes, etc. but for some reason the wife refuses to jump out and do it while we are traveling. Huh Grin Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 06:15:09 AM »

'Scuse me', am I right in thinking that if you bought 11 tires, (I run a Scenicruiser, it has 10 plus a spare) would I not be hard pressed to find several in that batch that are 2/32's or more different?
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 07:01:37 AM »

I think you are right Jack.  Smiley  When i bought 4 tires for the rear i was talking to the tire guy about balancing them. Now you would think that the tires would be real close to each other but he told me that only about one out of 100 was perfectly balanced when it came out of the mold. One of mine was perfect, Grin the other 3 each took different amounts to become balanced.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 07:54:01 AM »

Of course i'm an odd ball, and our business wholesaled tires for 45 yrs. but i am not afraid to have slightly different steer tire circumfrence, and as eugene john said, its the circumfrence that counts.. A mechanic i talked to yesterday told me that on a 4wd you have to have exact same tire sizes... and i told him that you can have 4 completely different sizes, as long as the tire circumfrence is the same... in fact you could have 4 different wheel sizes on a car, as long as the circumfrence is the same... i had to show him with a plate that the  same  outside tire curcumfrence equals same axle revolution.  This doesnt address the width,  heat or stability issues, just something l learned in the '70's driving on the sand dunes... All drive tires on trucks and busses should be close circumfrence...not to mention the DOT guys complain loudly if you get a small chunk out of your tread around here.. and don't dare have a strip of asphalt close to your wheel stud, or they will call it a crack (even if you wipe it off) and have u sit for 2 hrs waiting for another wheel...

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2011, 11:23:06 AM »

'Scuse me', am I right in thinking that if you bought 11 tires, (I run a Scenicruiser, it has 10 plus a spare) would I not be hard pressed to find several in that batch that are 2/32's or more different?
Jack
\
You are correct from what I am hearing.  2/32(1/16) is well below the 1/4 (4/16) limit.  The other point that seems to be being made is that the "short" tire will wear at an accelerated rate even though the taller tire will run hotter due to its carrying more of the load.  I pondered exactly why a big rig trailer would have some tires with usable tread when most were bald...all the same brand....model....miles of use in the same identical conditions  and lot.  I heard recently that they cut mounted tires to the same diameter with a hot knife or grinder.  We did that on our race cars (puffery that) and I did it on my street cars but we did it to get the tire absolutely round. We also did it with the tire mounted to its "forever" position and with the studs marked.  Round AND the equal diameter should be worth the time....only the service charge is hanging out there.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: