Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 09:13:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: repair shop needed  (Read 5544 times)
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 09:35:56 AM »

Clifford & John -

You're talking about "Big Doug" and his 4106 w/ the electric fans.

He sold the bus for basically scrap value.  Dunno what's happened to it since.

Doug & family moved to MO, I think.  Old email address I have for him doesn't work anymore.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 10:00:13 AM »

It probably wouldn't hurt if everyone would do an OIL ANALYSIS every once in awhile to see if they have any

bearing ware.

Steve 5B......

I am under the impression that the oil analysis is only really useful if you are doing it on a regular basis and that is what I have been told many times.  In a case such as this, I think even fresh oil would have had a high bearing metal content that would have gotten flagged by the analysis data sheet.  Even old oil should have registered above any normal expectations. 

Is it safe to say that "every new purchase should have an analysis done"?

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
muldoonman
1991 Prevost 8V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 10:03:21 AM »

That's sad when you break down on the road and far from home, Money tight.  I can see having just owned mine for a couple months if you don't know how to do it yourself, you better have a pocketfull of greenbacks. Tires and batteries for bus set me back about 8 grand. Wow!  It wont take long to go through my little pile. I will learn how to work on this puppy.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 10:08:41 AM »

Clifford & John -

You're talking about "Big Doug" and his 4106 w/ the electric fans.

He sold the bus for basically scrap value.  Dunno what's happened to it since.

Doug & family moved to MO, I think.  Old email address I have for him doesn't work anymore.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

To me this is a sad story for a couple of reasons.  The one that gripes is that we went thru a lot of trouble and thought to get that guy help.  Dallas was going to help him out even if he charged him.  Clifford was going to donate heads.  Cheaper alternatives were at hand.  And he didn't have the courtesy to say Thanks or anything?  He just dropped off of the edge?  That ain't funny McGee.  That is if we have the facts, of course.

Let me know if you come up with an email address for Big Doug.  I may want to "thank" him.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
blank

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »

Over 25 years ago, half a lifetime I guess, I saw my first Bus. Questions asked, I came away with the impression that a Bus was almost indestructable, that the engines would last a lifetime. But being a mechanic I have always been suspicious first, and confident last. One hiccup and the greatest confidence rushes back to suspicion.

I didnt join this forum ignorant, but I must say the learning curve made a rapid change. Far too many members here have seen catostrophic engine failures with quite a few impressive costs involved, and often occuring far from home. Yet time and again we see people heading home cross country with an unknown Bus. Others have brought home a hulk and spent years, and $$$$$ building a conversion, and never once thought to give the engine more than a look over. Why they are surprised when El Busso dies 500 to a 1000 miles down the road I dont know, but I surmise that it comes from the mistaken belief and ingrained idea passed around that Buses are indestructable, and will run for a lifetime.

This same kind of ignorance permeates the Mercedes world. Far too many buy those cars with the mistaken idea the car will run forever and needs nothing but fuel and tires. I am NOT postulating this is the case in this instance, rather, its simply another Bus thats gone down in the middle of nowhere. Next week or so there will be another. I havnt seen Jumpsuitman around for a while. There are others who have vanished, and I hope it is not because their Bus purchase dissolved all of their life savings.

To those who offered time and materials to a Busnut who has "gone missing", I would ask you try not to find fault they didnt say thanks before vanishing. Likely they just found themselves broke and discouraged and simply couldnt admit their ignorance. Let us hope not. Let us instead, share the information that not only are these Buses not indestructable, they are expensively indestrucatble, and in some ways quite fragile to hard or ignorant use. That the new to you Bus needs some rather thorough inspections before commiting it out to the road. And that in the best of cases we should all consider how we will handle the unexpected. We should all be fully aware that a  major failure is not going to be cheap, and will not be resolved in a day or so, but may extend for weeks before your back on the road.

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 11:09:29 AM »

Yep Paul million mile buses LOL 1 thing they don't tell you is how much it going to cost you for million miles and I love my buses.
 Have you ever paid any attention to these buses for sale with the new so called million mile engines so many read 480,000 new engine has only 10,000 miles on it,new rebuilt transmission only 50,000 miles I just chuckle when I read those.
 As to the big Doug of Oregon and his 4106 I just figured the guy looked at the needs of his family and the bus and family came first he doesn't owe me any explanation for that's for sure I was just wondering what happen

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »

Actually, to set the story straight, I wasn't going to charge him labor. All I asked for was fuel and camping costs. Remember... it was over 100° in El Paso at that time and almost 800 miles from me. I wasn't gonna run my el loudo generator 24/7 for power to keep cool.
Doug is in Nebraska as far as I know.. I talk to him on Facebook now and then, but never ask questions.
Like Clifford, I was going to donate my time and a lot of parts and pieces, as was Don Fairchild.
I did try to buy his bus but neer got a response from Doug. Too bad. It's probably across the border and hauling passengers hither and yon as we speak!

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »

"Likely they just found themselves....."  I think "likely" was the operative word.  I can full well sympathize with the guy getting wrapped around the axle and forgetting his manners.  I think he has had time to settle down and reflect on what he might owe those that extended the hand of friendship and a simple thank you is the least of it.  Without that you are an ingrate. Sad

And you two, Clifford and Dallas, personify selflessness and compassion and charity.  As do many others here.  I won't apologize for demanding that you be treated with common manners and respect you have earned.....at minimum.   I won't accept it for myself and I am no better than you(collective). Huh Roll Eyes Grin

John

PS:
You opinions of politics and border security are not withstanding.LOL LOL  YAR

—Pla
blank

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:48 PM »

John, the helpfullness, as well as offers of free parts and labor, and long travel distances to boot, that I have seen extended through this forum, is far, far beyond anything I have seen anywhere, and I share your feelings that Clifford and Dallas surely deserved a thankyou. That goes without saying.

All I was saying is that sometimes some of us find ourselves in a place in life where we are so far over our head we just cant think straight. In those circumstances, rather than call them an ingrate, let those of us that still have solid footing under us say thank you on their behalf. Sometimes having to say thanks, but no thanks, to an offer of help, is harder, simply because they dont want to answer the why's. They dont want to admit they lost their life savings, their pension, their home, etc., etc., and just go crawl under a rock instead.

If I used the incidents in my life where my help was abused and caused me damages, against the times I was gushed over with thanks, as my decision maker to hold out my hand once more to one in need, I would just drive on down the road and not look back, much as the world does. But something within me keeps trying, and I suspect that a few here feel a bit the same way. And I thank God there are still a few left that think that way.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »

If i help someone it doesn't really matter if they thank me or not. I just hope that somewhere down the road they help someone else......who might just end up being the person who ends up helping me someday. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »

That is my thinking also Ed

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 12:08:25 PM »

They got home to Boise today, in a rental car. They are still excited about the bus and are looking forward to getting it back in a few weeks. I hope they get to enjoy it for a while this time...Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
Kevinmc5

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »

We made it home, The bus did not still in Nebraska Yes I feel like a fool for trying to take a 1964 bus that I don't know and had no tools across the USA. The bus did get checked out. the seller of 9 years had all the service records and pic's of the conversion. Spent 4 days driving and learning about the bus. The sealer is willing to work out something for the engine rebuild. I'm allready so for into it in money I might as well get it fixed and enjoy it. As bad as it was could of been worse. My wife and I are still alive and had quite the time of our lives. Will tell the hole story some time. maybe wright a book. I would like to Thank fe2_03 For all the help in our time of panic. Without you would not have made it. The motor well be done in about 3 weeks. Don't have the time off to go drive it back so might have to get it trains ported home. Well take it one day at a time. Thanks to all
Kevin & Traci

1964 4106-2471 8v71 Boise ID Driving any place I can Fit
blank

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 09:32:02 PM »

If the seller truly offers some help, well, you cant beat that. Transport will likely be $$$$$, perhaps a fellow Bus Nut will be going that way and you can thumb a ride out to fetch it.

Im thinking I should just yank the motor out of my Bus and look everything over so I know whats what. Never know what youll find in an old Bus. 
thomasinnv
Derrick Thomas

I may be nuts, but only for buses

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »

Paul, that may not be a bad idea if you have the time and ambition to do so. Problem is though that sometimes things just fail for no apparent reason. you might tear the whole thing down and blow it sky high on your first trip out. Some things are just a gamble no matter what.

There are three kinds of people in this world....those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that just wonder what the heck is happening. Which one are you?

1977 MCI Crusader MC-8
8V71N/740
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: