Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 27, 2014, 11:33:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VW Toad  (Read 1704 times)
chev49

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:12:28 PM »

wonder if i should try flat towing my 57 vw convert, now that its done, instead of trailering my chevy or flat towing the festiva... anyone flat tow bugs? I suppose i could use my car dolly.... or build a special trailer... just wondering how well vw will tow (not counting all the oil,. etc that will cover it) Thanks, Rick

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »

As I recall "bugs" were flat towed all the time. Same with dune buggies which are basically bugs.
happycamperbrat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 02:09:06 AM »

Silver Eagle Heading Home from an Eagles International Bus Rally

The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:31:05 AM »

The Ford Festiva also makes a great towed if its a standard transmission.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »

chev49, we towed our 1970 VW many thousands of miles.  We did have to "bungee" cord the steering wheel to keep it centered.  After a turn it didn't want to self-center.  Other than that no problems.

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
chev49

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 07:29:02 AM »

Thanks, I always bungee cord or use loose rope on early cars. I kinda dont wanta get the suspension or something bent up cause this early of cabrolet is worth more than the bus.

If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...
technomadia

Zephyr - 1961 GM PD-4106-446

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 08:57:15 AM »

We've been considering a classic VW beetle to flat tow behind our 4106 - as we've heard they're quite easy to flat tow.  And we think it'd look super cute behind a vintage bus!   

Our only hesitation is lack of air conditioning.  While it's nice when it happens that we follow the good weather in our travels.. we've found that we often times end up in places with less than ideal weather to be where we need to be (with people we love, family emergencies, conferences, work, etc.). 

We have heard that some of the super beetles might be powered enough to handle an aftermarket A/C.  But haven't researched much further than that.

- Cherie

Cherie and Chris / www.technomadia.com
Full-time 'Technomads' since 2006 (technology enabled nomads)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »

Tow you a bug then you have something else to work on beside the bus LOL

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 10:44:41 AM »

My first car was a 64 bug. Had the higher hp motor, (40 hp instead of the 36 hp)  Grin  also had a gas gauge with the built in reserve, but no AC. You would be surprised where i took that car. Smiley  One time i was on top of a mountain by way of washed out logging roads, enjoying the view, when i heard a noise and looked over the edge and saw 4 jeeps coming up. They were having a good time whooping and hollering until they broke over the top and saw my stock vw bug sitting there. Grin They asked me how i got there and i told them the same way you did. They said there had to be another way up. I said nope, and i am going out the same way you came in, which i did. I think i ruined their morning. Cheesy Cheesy

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:52:14 AM »

Alright Ed:

Have mercy on us Jeep owners.

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »

Cherie -

Our only hesitation is lack of air conditioning. 

FYI - later model VW Golfs and Jettas with manual gearboxes can be flat towed, find one w/ A/C and you're good to go.  Usually cheaper (and less likely to get stolen) than a Honda Civic, another popular A/C-equipped toad.  Jettas have huge trunks, almost as big as the trailer you recently sold!  LOL! 

Honda CRVs are quite popular, too, and both the 2x and 4x models with automatics can be flat towed.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 Now
Fresno CA
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »

Mike, that was back about 1969. Smiley  i have been a jeep owner for the last 12 years. Still no AC though Grin

Red Rider
God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »

That's right Ed, I forgot about your Cherokee. I feel better now.

Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »

Grin

Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »

We have heard that some of the super beetles might be powered enough to handle an aftermarket A/C.  But haven't researched much further than that.
I had a 1974 Super Beetle (with over a quarter million miles on its original unrebuilt engine!), bought from the factory and driven all over Europe, and we had it for many years.   I've heard of aftermarket AC for them, but I don't know if AC was ever offered as a factory option.   Maybe the Super's MacPherson strut front suspension has better tracking than the usual VW front ends  -  I'm guessing the toad's caster and steering geometry would determine its towability?   As long as the transaxle keeps itself lubricated, it should be towable.

I can well believe Ed's memories of his '64 going places that Jeeps fear to tread.   Some years ago in the Anza-Borrego Desert in Southern California I was riding my bicycle over the Pinyon Mountain dirt road (A 4WD route that starts as an easy sandy road but becomes a difficult technical track) when I heard a car behind me coming up the bajada.   When I stopped to let it pass I saw it was an ancient VW with an equally ancient couple in it  -  they told me they drove it all over the desert, including through the Squeeze and down the Pinyon Dropoff!!!   They said it got everywhere they wanted to go, and if it got stuck it was light enough to easily dig out.   Who needs 4WD?!

John

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: